Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre install all went smoothly

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

New fibre install all went smoothly

Just thought I'd post about my recent upgrade from Plusnet ADSL to VDSL Fibre.....most forum posts are from people that have problems so I always try and post good and bad reviews for balance  Cheesy
My cabinet went live last week to accept orders so I got onto Plusnet and ordered over the phone, the person I spoke to (Adam) was helpful and went through the options and answered a couple of questions I had and fairly soon my order was placed and a BT engineer visit arranged for a week later.
New router turns up a couple days before install and on the day  the BT engineer phones an hour before coming, so far so good!
Phone goes dead as does ADSL, another good sign (I hope) then 15 mins later the BTopenreach engineer arrives, installs new master socket and modem, tests it all out, says my line is all good (I'm only about 300 feet from the cabinet) and says his tester shows the line is capable of handling 140mbps on my copper and within about 45 mins he's done and gone. I do some checks and all looks great with 75mbps/18.5mbps........the engineer said he opened the cabinet up and I'm the first in the village to hook up.
Once I was happy all worked, I then hooked up my trusty TP Link W8968 ADSL/EWAN router and configured for PPOE and entered username/password and it connected quickly. I used this instead of the supplied Sagem router only because I'd spent some time setting up port forwarding, reserved IP addresses for a server and a VPN settup....and all my wifi devices would just work.
So, everything went exactly as planned and with minimal disruption, so many thanks Plusnet and the BT openreach engineer.
7 REPLIES 7
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: New fibre install all went smoothly

Hi there,
Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the feedback!  Smiley I'm really glad to hear that everything went so smoothly.
If I remember from a previous thread, you had been waiting for a while for your cabinet to go live, correct?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
orby
Rising Star

Hi Matty, not too long for me, the cabinet went in last November I think and was due to go live between Dec2014 and Mar2015 so was inline with BT's predictions, it's part of the rural sussex fibre rollout.
dick:quote
KatC
Grafter

Glad to hear everything went as planned for you  :). If there is anything you need please let us know.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

As you are the first hookup in the cabinet, there is little chance of there being cross talk.  I hope that as additional users are hooked up, there are not issues arising from cross talk, leading to the polish on your high speeds being tarnished.  Cross talk is unfortunately a technical limitation / constraint.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re crosstalk,  I was #2 on my cab. over 2 years ago. It is now full & my speeds are better than ever. I obviously have no problems with crosstalk.  Smiley
orby
Rising Star

Quote from: Townman
As you are the first hookup in the cabinet, there is little chance of there being cross talk.  I hope that as additional users are hooked up, there are not issues arising from cross talk, leading to the polish on your high speeds being tarnished.  Cross talk is unfortunately a technical limitation / constraint.

Well I shall keep an eye on that.... I've made sure no to tell no one else in the village about the new fibre services  Cheesy
orby
Rising Star

Quote from: tijara33
Re crosstalk,  I was #2 on my cab. over 2 years ago. It is now full & my speeds are better than ever. I obviously have no problems with crosstalk.  Smiley

That's good to hear!