Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre customer - engineer never came, now have NO internet [NOW RESOLVED]

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: New fibre customer - engineer never came, now have NO internet connection

Your ADSL service has is now active so you should be able to connect, you can see the settings you'll need to enter into your router here.
I'll update you on the fibre side of things as soon as I have one.
Paulx9
Dabbler

Many thanks Chris, I'm trying it out now, and seem to have connected ok anyway.  I will now check I'm using all the right settings from the link you gave.
On the help assistant ticket I've confirmed the fibre date in your email is OK with me
(not sure if ticket or forum is best way to respond to plusnet emails)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've got both replies Smiley
Your fibre is booked in, let me know if there's anything else in the meantime.
plusgraham

Very similar experience, moving from another fibre provider to PlusNet. Still without broadband (25th pm) some six days after the implementation date. Phone change went no problem apart from the unexpectedly long time we were without any landline (10hrs+).
The problem appears to lie with appalling service standards in BT wholesale, who apparently are responsible for the fibre connection I'm told BT Openreach now just do the phone side). Like yourself I bravely left it to PlusNet to arrange the change from previous fibre provider. We did have had one day of connection (21st), but been without any broadband since. The technical why is difficult to ascertain, but I've been told that problem is 'delayed implementation'. I suspect it is more accurate to say botched implementation. The BT modem indicates there's a live link to the exchange, but not one that will connect to PlusNet, or my previous fibre provider. As we use broadband for our home based business we now having to use dongle GSM to get any sort of reasonable access.
The idea of PlusNet  positively making sure it can work beforehand is good, but even that would not have helped in my case. They did have the link working twice (late 19th and all of the 21st). On  a more positive note would also add that the guys on the PlusNet phone seem good, once you can get through, but that doesn't really help as they aren't the people directly dealing with the issue. Also the PlusNet  semi-automated messages in the user-help account have tended to confuse/irritate me. Several times implying that the problem is sorted when not.
This type of problem may be localised to the set-up and standards of the particular team supporting your local exchange as I had a similar problem with previous provider when moving from cable to fibre  (beware users of the South London Addiscombe exchange). I can add that working with PlusNet support is vastly easier than working with the script based South African/Indian telephone support teams that my previous supplier had. I changed primarily to get better quality phone and support, did not expect the weakest link would be the same BT engineering team, or that I'd be again cut off from broadband for what is looking like at least a week. I've been waiting to hear from the local engineering team for the last two days as to when it will be looked at or what the actual problem is. 
Glad  to hear you are now connected.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to read about the issues with your order plusgraham. It's a system problem preventing its progress and that in turn is what's preventing the connection from working.
We're expecting this to be resolved within the next few days for you.
Feel free to keep us posted on the progress of this through the forum that way myself or one of my colleagues on the digital care team can intervene if needed.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Paulx9
Just a quick one to confirm that your appointment is still booked in for tomorrow(27th) 1pm - 6pm. Let me know how it goes.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've checked your scheduled appointment and it seems it's completed, I've changed your profile to match your new sync rate so you should be seeing full line speed.
If there's anything else please let me know either via here or your open ticket which I've also updated.
Apologies for the delay in getting your fibre connection sorted, I hope you can now enjoy it along with your weekend.
Paulx9
Dabbler

Chris,  The engineer came to install the fibre, and it seems to be working.  The engineer wanted to point the browser at speedtest.net immediately, so we never got the 15 minute wait specified in the plusnet booklet - not sure what the implications of that are.  (Speedtest.net is currently showing a download speed no better than the adsl, but I understand [from engineer] it takes 48 hours to stabilise. edit: speed now higher).  I'll update this thread properly over the weekend if it is all still working, but so far so good....
edit: just seen your latest post; thanks
Paul
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

What does this https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ( login required ) say for your Current Line speed ? Sounds like you Plusnet profile hasn't caught up with the change to Fibre and is still set to the ADSL one. If it doesn't change shortly ( and Chris doesn't change it! ) then give the CSC a call and explain , they should be able to reset it immediately

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think the user must have tested the speed just before this:
Quote from: chrispurvey
I've changed your profile to match your new sync rate so you should be seeing full line speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Paulx9
Dabbler

Thanks MisterW,
It says "Current line speed:  53.8 Mb".  I'm not too concerned at present as it's only been live a few hours, and I havent properly investigated the various speed tests and other information on the plusnet site.  I only used speedtest.net as that is what the engineer used; it is now showing  about 20Mbps down and 16Mbps up, so clearly higher than the adsl.  I'm just glad to have it working at all at the moment!
Paulx9
Dabbler

jelv,  yes I think you are right. speed is now higher, and I've edited my previous post.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Quote from: jelv
I think the user must have tested the speed just before this:
Quote from: chrispurvey
I've changed your profile to match your new sync rate so you should be seeing full line speed.

Must go to SpecSavers Sad

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you using a wired or wireless connection to the router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Paulx9
Dabbler

Wireless at the moment, but only because it's just been installed (near master socket) and I haven't yet run the cables I need. (Normally I would not use wireless).  I will try  the speed test with a wired connection later, and also use the test site(s) and procedures recommended somewhere on this site/forum.  The engineer said it takes 48 hours to get the correct speed anyway.