Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre customer - engineer never came, now have NO internet [NOW RESOLVED]

Paulx9
Dabbler

New fibre customer - engineer never came, now have NO internet [NOW RESOLVED]

My bad experience as a new customer moving to PlusNet:
I was due to be connected to PlusNet yesterday, but although I waited all day, nobody turned up to install the fibre modem.
Instead, my connection went dead and I now have NO internet connection at all (at home).
What's worse is that there were no warnings from PlusNet that the installation would not take place.
No phone calls, 'Help Assistant' tickets or emails: nothing - just disconnection.
Only when I phoned PlusNet after the (non-)event did they decide
there was a problem, variously blaming both BT and the previous supplier.
PlusNet now claim that the previous provider neither "accepted nor rejected [the] request" to transfer to PlusNet.
If true, PlusNet would/should have told me, and I presumably would not have been disconnected
The appointment was made several weeks ago.
Very disappointed to completely lose internet connection while switching to PlusNet.
edit: Issue fully resolved 27th September  [Reply #30]
31 REPLIES 31
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: New fibre customer - engineer never came, now have NO internet connection

Openreach have quite a reputation these days for doing just that and they don't tell anyone, not even Plusnet.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Paulx9
Dabbler

No, not BT openreach;  it seems PlusNet caused the problem.  PlusNet arranged for the existing service
to be disconnected when I signed up, without apparently checking they could re-connect me to PlusNet - which
they could have done any time before the installation date. 

Prospective PlusNet customers should be told they risk losing their internet connection completely by
switching to PlusNet; if it is in the small print somewhere, I didn't see it.  It should be made clearer.
PlusNet had several weeks to arrange the new connection, and if necessary move the installation appointment.
They seem to have done nothing except take the money and arrange the disconnection, with all the problems that
causes.
syates
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Openreach have quite a reputation these days for doing just that and they don't tell anyone, not even Plusnet.

And?  It is PlusNet that are meant to be providing his connection, so management of Openreach is entirely PlusNet's domain and so their fault if something goes wrong.  They should be tearing a strip off their "supplier", not using them as an excuse for poor service. 
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Paulx9,
Really sorry to hear you've been left with no internet connection, I'm chasing this up and as soon as I have an update I'll be in-touch.
Paulx9
Dabbler

Thanks Chris,
I will stay in the rest of the day in the hope the engineer comes at some point.
(Nb, if fibre isn't possible today, and ordinary adsl is quicker/today, maybe I could have that in the short term - just so I have *something* while you sort the problem out!? )
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm just waiting on an update from our suppliers which shouldn't take long, if I'm honest it's not going to be something that we can do to get an engineer out today but I am working to get this working for you at the earliest date possible.
Paulx9
Dabbler

Thanks Chris, I have just had a call from one of your colleagues who explained quite well what went wrong, but seemed to suggest that the broadband/internet order would be going into the system much like a *new* order, even though I've been COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED (at PlusNet request, not mine) and have NO INTERNET access whatsoever (at home).
That would be beyond outrageous! -: that people pay PlusNet a large sum of money (a year in advance) just to be disconnected from all internet services INDEFINITELY! Even with the compensation he mentioned, that is so obviously unacceptable.  I should never have been disconnected in the first place if you couldn't re-connect me to PlusNet.

I've been advised to insist that you immediately provide some sort of connection, even the £3.99 one you advertise on the TV, whatever that is.  I still have the adsl modem obviously.  You surely cannot just disconnect people and then treat reconnection as a new order. That would be beyond belief.  It has already been 4 days! Please ensure that something (anything) is connected by tomorrow at latest (I will wait in 8am-1pm in the hope that it is the fibre modem etc, but please let me know if it is some other broadband not requiring access to the property).
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My colleague was explaining the process, since this is a simultaneous provide we cannot bring the date forward for the fibre.
We are however able to place a ADSL order which will be expedited and takes one working day to complete, we are waiting on the phone order completing before we can placed this. So as it stands your ADSL will be active either tomorrow or Wednesday depending on the time of the phone order completing.
Apologies for the delay, this is the fastest way we can get you online, once the ADSL is complete we can then place an order to upgrade you to fibre.
Paulx9
Dabbler

Thanks Chris, I received email 4pm yesterday that the "Phone service is ready to use", so presumably the ADSL will activate today sometime. Can you please confirm the connection details for adsl (by email, rather than forum obviously) or is it all the same as the fibre connection would have been (password etc)?
It appears that raising the issue on this forum achieves more than phone calls or tickets on the Help Assistant, but given how many empty promises I've had from PN the last 4days you'll forgive me for waiting until the connection is restored before believing it. But thanks to Gareth at least the line itself is working, and we haven't lost the telephone number itself. I now await the promised adsl.
I just can't believe your system even allows you to request that the line to a property  be disconnected *before* you have confirmation (from BT or whoever) that it can be reconnected to PlusNet/BT.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Almost without exception, loss of the line when migrating in is caused by the losing provider cancelling because the customer has given them the date they expect to migrate.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, the connection details will be exactly the same as they were on Fibre. I'll ask our provisioning team to chase the broadband order and update you.
Paulx9
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Almost without exception, loss of the line when migrating in is caused by the losing provider cancelling because the customer has given them the date they expect to migrate.

Not in this case, I never contacted the losing provider or any other organisation - only PlusNet.
So PlusNet must have arranged the disconnection. PlusNet don't even dispute it; they just blame it on BT (who I also never contacted).
PlusNet should have waited for confirmation that connection to PlusNet/BT was possible before requesting disconnection
Paulx9
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
We are however able to place a ADSL order which will be expedited and takes one working day to complete, we are waiting on the phone order completing before we can placed this. So as it stands your ADSL will be active either tomorrow or Wednesday depending on the time of the phone order completing.

I have received a message concerning broadband becoming active on 24th, which I suppose must be the fibre order, as you stated yesterday that "your ADSL will be active either tomorrow or Wednesday"
Obviously I take you at your word that it will be active today (if not tomorrow) as you said it "takes one working day to complete" and were so clear about it being "active either tomorrow or Wednesday."
I would be grateful if you would confirm this, and the status of the fibre order which I presume is for 24th, and what hours I need to be in that day for the engineer visit.
Regards
Paul
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,
I've updated your ticket, your ADSL will go active tomorrow. I'll be checking on this and will update you with the fibre order once we can get it placed tomorrow.