cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer not yet online after four days

sandymount
Dabbler

New customer not yet online after four days

Even the worst brodband suppliers can provide a brief honeymoon period.  Plusnet has me filing for a divorce and we've not even been hitched yet.
PROBLEM:
BT upgraded my connection on Plusnet's behalf on Monday morning.  Since then I have not been able to get online.
Going into my computer to look at systems presferences for both wireless and ethernet I can see a variety of options for BT, Virgin etc., but not 'plusnetwireless' as should be appearing according to the help pages.  It simply is not there.
In my opinion, and that of the senior IT manager at the telecoms company I work at, this line has not been properly enabled to provide this service, but can I get Plusnet to give this matter proper consideration.
I alerted Plusnet to the problem on Monday afternoon however my problem was completely misunderstood, apparently.  I was told to try again in 20 mins.  Repeated checks throughout the evening but still the service was not availalble under system preferences.
The following evening I called the helpdesk and was on to them for 1 hour solid. Every attempt was made at adjusting settings, but to no avail.
I was told my case was being referred to the Technical Team.
It has taken them 36 hours to come back to me with the conclusion that my problem is a failed login.
'End User Error' I do not regard as a technical diagnosis.
So, I will repeat and hope that someone on here is paying attention:
'Plusnet' is not appearing as a service on my network options in system preferences.  The router is as NETGEAR 1 but not 'plusnet'.
It just isn't there.  Please, someone believe me, this line is not yet properly enabled.
Worst 'new customer' experience ever.
jim:red All Caps removed from title as per Forum Rules mod:end
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: NEW CUSTOMER NOT YET ONLINE AFTER FOUR DAYS

'Plusnet' is not appearing as a service on my network options in system preferences.

It won't, the neatgear router connects to the modem so you wouldn't see it displayed in that manner.
The following evening I called the helpdesk and was on to them for 1 hour solid. Every attempt was made at adjusting settings, but to no avail.

In that case I apologise as I believe I can see already what the issue is here.
Please, someone believe me, this line is not yet properly enabled.

The line is enabled, I've checked your account and can see that our RADIUS servers have rejected attempts to connect showing that the password may be incorrect so I'd make that your first port of call to check.
Worst 'new customer' experience ever.

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience contacting support but do let me know if you need any assistance updating the password as per the voice mail I just left for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sandymount
Dabbler

Re: New customer not yet online after four days

I will give this a go, but forgive me if I am cynical.  I'd like to say that I'm impressed by the speed with which my post was responded to with this reply, except that I waited 36 hours for some contact with yourselves.  Furthermore, that was also with a call (waiting time 20 mins) Wednesday evening seeking an update which elicited nothing.
I would recommend also that new customers are directed to a priority line.  'Apologise' and 'sorry' are empty words without any committment to ensure that newbies are up and running in good time.
SM.
sandymount
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
'Plusnet' is not appearing as a service on my network options in system preferences.

It won't, the neatgear router connects to the modem so you wouldn't see it displayed in that manner.

Oh yes it will!!  (Well it is the season of Panto).  According to the Mac wirless connection guide on the Plusnet site it will:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_connect_macosx.shtml
This is the point I'm trying to make 'PlusnetWireless' is not appearing in this list on system preferences and that to me seems incorrect.
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
jonnyPlusnet
Dabbler

Panto lmao  Grin my new network is up & down like a fiddlers elbow  Lips_are_sealed
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: sandymount

This is the point I'm trying to make 'PlusnetWireless' is not appearing in this list on system preferences and that to me seems incorrect.

From Adam's response I'm assuming that you are on fibre and should be using this guide http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/netgear-WNR1000-wireless-settings.shtml
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

sandymount,
From your posts I can see that there's two separate issues at play here.
Firstly there's the issue of you not being able to connect to the internet, for that you will need to log into the netgear router and update your password.
Secondly it sounds like your computer isn't able to establish a wireless connection to the router, that process isn't dependant on being able to connect to the outside world.
I would recommend also that new customers are directed to a priority line

We've got plans to route calls from new customers to a specially trained team as part of an update of our call centre systems very soon actually.
If you haven't already seen the following guides I'd advise running through these:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/netgear-WNR1000-wireless-settings.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/netgear-WNR1000-setup-guide.shtml
There's also an FAQ here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/netgear-WNR1000-faqs.shtml

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sandymount
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

We've got plans to route calls from new customers to a specially trained team as part of an update of our call centre systems very soon actually.

It's a no-brainer, Adam, to be completely frank.  I had taken the day off work on Monday to contend with exactly these kind of problems and yet when I called then I got what can only fairly be characterised as a 'body swerve'.
Thanks for those links which I have printed off and will have a go tonight.
SM
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for those links which I have printed off and will have a go tonight.

No problem,
If you're still having problems beyond that and you're available between 9 and 5 I'll even give you a call to talk you through sorting those issues out.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Those routers should auto set up.  You could try it by holding down the reset button on the back for about 5 seconds (until the power lights flash/go off) and then leave it for 20mins or so.  Hopefully that will mean the router will set up properly and sort your connectivity issue.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
sandymount
Dabbler

Thank you for that, Kelly, but no the router did not auto-configure.
Armed with thirteen printed pages of guides I finally managed to configure the router via the Netgear set which was quite a mission as it's presenation and notes are not very user friendly.  It was like working through the small print of the Dead Sea Scrolls.
The good news is that I am now finally up and running!
The bad news, Plusnet, is that thee and me have got off to a very poor start and I would have to say I feel very let down.  To recap:
1. The provided route did not behave as you say it ought to have.
2. My first call to yourselves involved no diagnostic questioning and the call operative made an incorrect assumption as to what the problem was.
3. My second call, even though it lasted an hour totally failed to get to grips with the fact that the router had not cofigured and during it I was never directed to Netgear site to check on the router status.
4. Referral to the technical department - this took 36 hours before I received a response.  Totally unacceptable.  Also absurd that the technical team is only availalble 9-5.  If you look at the calendar you'll find it says '2011', not '1911'.
5.Eventually, I found my way here to the Forum, but even then with Adam's input nailing the problem was not straightforward and it still took some tenacity on my part to spell out the precise problem.  (Just for context sake: it was seen on the logs that I had made a failed login attempt, but this was not via the router which we know was not configure.  That would have been when I was directed to connect the ethernet cable directly in to my PC).
One final obersavtion:  the phone manner of your operatives is exemplary and highly personable, however this positive impression has been largely dispelled by the poor quality of troubleshooting.
I look forward to hearing from Plusnet as to how they might wish to recompense me for the considerable incovenience I have been put to.
SM.  
PS.  Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread.  Bon Noel!!
dick:quote

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: sandymount
Thank you for that, Kelly, but no the router did not auto-configure.

Damn.  When you reset it, the the wireless name stay the same (i.e. Netgear1)?  If so, it sounds like it didn't have the correct firmware on.  We need to look at this.  I'll leave the community guys to answer the rest of the post.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

2. My first call to yourselves involved no diagnostic questioning and the call operative made an incorrect assumption as to what the problem was.

That's not good, apologies for that. Our agents are encouraged to use common sense when diagnosing faults and flow charts are also available to them to use that include important diagnostic questions. Rest assured feedback will be given to the agents you spoke to.
3. My second call, even though it lasted an hour totally failed to get to grips with the fact that the router had not cofigured and during it I was never directed to Netgear site to check on the router status.

When looking into this yesterday I've been advise that feedback has already been given, so apologies again there.
4. Referral to the technical department - this took 36 hours before I received a response.  Totally unacceptable.  Also absurd that the technical team is only availalble 9-5.  If you look at the calendar you'll find it says '2011', not '1911'.

I'll need to look into this further, technical support aren't restricted to 9-5 hours and technical support should be available 24/7.
I look forward to hearing from Plusnet as to how they might wish to recompense me for the considerable incovenience I have been put to.

You definitely deserve a good will gesture due to the issues you've had dealing with support. I'll add details to your account about that now.
Adam.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team