Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account creation on behalf of another person

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

New account creation on behalf of another person

There is an urgent need to add to the dialogue for creating a new account to check if it is being done on behalf of someone else and if so ask if the person creating the account is to be added to the account as someone who can act on behalf of the account holder.
Yet again we have seen today a situation where someone has created an account on behalf of a relative unable to sort out such matters for them self. The person creating the account has even been paying all the bills via a DD on their own bank account. Yet now, when the account needs to be closed because the disabled relative is leaving the country they suddenly can't deal with the account.
If the person creating the account and paying the bills cannot deal with the account, Plusnet should not let the account be created in the first place.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
16 REPLIES 16
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New account creation on behalf of another person

When an account is signed up, it should be created in the name of the person performing the sign-up and they will be the account holder. Situations like the one you have referenced are rare as far as I know.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Could you point out to me where it says that in the sign up journey please. If I had been creating an account for my daughter who wouldn't be capable of doing it herself I'd have done it in her name, the DD would be against an account in her name, but I would have to do all the admin of the account.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Couldn't a box be added on sign up for detail of the admin if different to the account holder?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've raised this internally and we'll get back to you asap.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jelv
If the person creating the account and paying the bills cannot deal with the account, Plusnet should not let the account be created in the first place.
I don't agree with that.
The problem only seems to lie with cancellation and possibly when other account changes are made.
It is commoner than PN may be prepared to acknowledge for people to help relatives (and possibly others, e.g. flatmate or friends) in this way and there's no reason to prevent it.
What is needed is a sensible approach to dealing with it. Issues only seem to arrive at what is a difficult and personally distressing time for those involved and that must be recognised.
In most cases the individuals involved do sort it out themselves, but in some cases as "impasse" is reached because companies have inconsistent rules or processes, sadly often because of a slavish and unnecessary interpretation of their duties under the DPA.
PN - just sort out the problems sensitively when they arise. As you have stated, this is rare.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Not sure why you've disagreed with me.
If PN sorted out the problems sensitively when they arose that would be fine. However in the case that prompted me to raise this topic they have made it very, very clear they will be sticking to the rules regardless so the sensible route doesn't appear to be an option. That leaves the only option to be stopping the situation arising in the first place by not allowing people to create accounts on behalf of others.
Edit: Last post from Plusnet in case I'm referring to:
Quote from: Linn
I can appreciate that in this situation you are dealing with your brother's affairs, however, only the account holder can cancel the account.
I understand if you feel that the advisor you spoke to was being difficult, however, they were following protocol and they are not in a position to break this. The protocol is in place to protect the account holder's services.
HPsauce
Pro

Not sure why you've disagreed with me.
I thought I explained it clearly enough.  Huh
To reiterate, I think this is fairly common practice, but does not go wrong often as PN admit.
To deliberately prohibit people helping others my managing their accounts for them "informally" would be a very unhelpful restriction and possibly disability discrimination is some cases.
PN should either allow for it formally or do as most organisations have done for decades and "turn a blind eye" but be helpful and sympathetic when issues arise.  Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero

As you aware Plusnet have not yet responded favourably to the topic I linked to which you have also contributed urging them to do the right thing.
If Plusnet are going to be absolutely intransigent over this then not letting the situation develop in the first place is the only other option.
This wouldn't have occurred a few years ago in that someone would have been on the phone to sort it out. But they've now grown so big that this sort of nonsense is what we can expect.
HPsauce
Pro

Yes, sad isn't it, especially as they've commented here.  Cry
There's possibly an internal debate between "compliance" and "pragmatic".................  Lips_are_sealed
Hopefully in the meanwhile someone is getting on with resolving the recent individual problem.  Undecided
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Been watching that thread and can't think of anything else but PN is pulling the Jobs Worth award from That's life.  Thought better of you PN, either fix the situation or remove the possibility of it happening again
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
Hopefully in the meanwhile someone is getting on with resolving the recent individual problem.  Undecided
It would appear not, the latest postings in the original thread suggest that PN are doing nothing to help, rather the opposite......
Is anyone senior getting to grip with this?  Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@HPsauce
In light of what has transpired today do you still think I'm wrong when I said the following?
HPsauce
Pro

Actually yes I do think you're wrong.  Wink
They don't do that at present and it would take money and time to change it. I'd rather they put that into sorting out the exceptions rather than just making life more difficult for people trying to help others.  Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd rather they sorted out the exceptions - but as they are refusing point blank to see sense in what is probably one of the cases most deserving of sympathy I can't see any other way forward.
To remind you of what was posted today:
Quote from: vulpine
I was told that by creating the account under someone elses name I was in fact breaking the law

Where in the sign up process does it warn you of this?
Far from pouring oil on troubled waters to get this ridiculous situation sorted out they are pouring oil on the fire!