Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Option 1 offer with 10GB allowance

James
Grafter

Re: New Option 1 offer with 10GB allowance

Hi Thomas
If you were to upgrade your product after signing up for the 12 month Option 1 special, you would be able to do so, but would lose any outstanding discounts from the special offer that you were on.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Bit of a hicup with my change, Martin was on nights, and as usually happens it was on a weekend,  all sorted now, pity have got to wait for a rebate as the BACS went through at the wrong rate.  Thanks James and Martin Smiley
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
If you were to upgrade your product after signing up for the 12 month Option 1 special, you would be able to do so, but would lose any outstanding discounts from the special offer that you were on.

Right, thanks, that's what I was expecting anyway so it seems good to me. Shall probably put a request in later then. Smiley (First time I'll have been on 12-month contract with Plusnet since joining in August 2002...)
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't suppose anyone who has previously had totally unthrottled/non traffic shaped broadband with a company like IDNet, Newnet or Zen and who has switched to this incredibly cheap deal (incredible that is if you are a rural non LLU exchange as I am so have no cheap LLU options from Tiscali, TalkTalk, Orange etc) can comment on just how much slower the managed throttled download speeds are on this product when you do need to do a larger download of software or get a tv program from say from BBC Iplayer (only very rarely in my case but it does happen if I fail to schedule a new series on my hard drive PVR)?
The financially prudent side of me says what a steal but the side of me that would never give up my two seat sports car for a boring Econo Box says "don't risk it because of the 12 month lock in".
Despite the previous claim from Uswitch that the deal ended on 28th January the website where you can sign up still exists at www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_with_homephone_us.shtml ; I would also note that website does seem be potentially misleading by showing the Plusnet 90 day guarantee on the page when this is surely not available on this contract as it has a 12 month lock in?  Or are we saying the 90 day guarantee does apply to this offer product?
If I have a 90 day guarantee then I'm prepared to try the service (my broadband is not presently with Plusnet and only my email is) but I'm only willing to do so on the basis that I can migrate back out without penalty within 90 days if the service turns out to be unacceptably slow.  I'm not a P2P file sharer but I do look at some websites with video streaming and am concerned how much those would or would not be slowed down in practice on Option 1 by Plusnet's well known active selective traffic management.
mal0z
Grafter

Maybe you should read this report on how Option 1 works for someone else:
Quote from: andyhewitt
"Mum move house a couple of weeks ago, and she's on PlusNet Option 1 (suits her usage perfectly), and I took my MacBook with me. Immediately I could use all of the services I hadn't been able to before. Newsgroups just flashed along, and iPlayer worked without a single glitch."

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73428.0.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I can only partly answer the question as I moved from PAYG to BBYW2 to BBYW1 10GB and I can say that there is no difference with iPlayer or with some downloads.
I downloaded Crysis Warhead Patch from Filefront at about 2700kbps effectively  full speed (stable rate 3000kbps) on BBYW Option1 at about 16:30 and I just tried an iPlayer download and speed was just 0ver 300kB/sec (not far off full speed).
Downloading Windows 7 beta during the evening was terribly slow but must have speeded up overnight as it was finished during the free period having forecast about 3 days to complete at 11.00pm
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: mal0z
Maybe you should read this report on how Option 1 works for someone else:
Quote from: andyhewitt
"Mum move house a couple of weeks ago, and she's on PlusNet Option 1 (suits her usage perfectly), and I took my MacBook with me. Immediately I could use all of the services I hadn't been able to before. Newsgroups just flashed along, and iPlayer worked without a single glitch."

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73428.0.html

OK but that person was using Virgin ADSL, consistently the worst rated ADSL ISP of the lot.  So anything would seem better to him than Virgin.
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Neil
We are testing out some new offers to see how attractive they would be. The marketing theory being although we'll make a lower profit on the new product, if sales go up XXX% then the larger number of customers we attract will offset the reduced margin. We then have to balance that against how many existing customers will say "wow, that's a good deal, I want some of that please" which also reduces margin.

But your recent 10GB offer including the phone line rental and evening and weekend calls and first 3 months at a reduced price (not to mention £15 cashback if you don't need a router) does look very attractive to anyone in a non LLU (no cheap Tiscali, Talktalk, Sky etc broadband deals available) exchange area since as Plusnet only has a single national pricing structure we benefit from near TalkTalk/Tiscali level pricing in an exchange area that would not normally have access to it.
I presume this is a strategy you are (a) committed to and (b) have access to different underlying costs on from your competitors given your underlying special relationship with BT, who are also committed to a single national pricing strategy model.
Be3G
Grafter

Plusnet don't get any special pricing from their wholesalers... Plusnet's 'special relationship' is with BT Retail, which runs as a completely separate company to BT Wholesale at the behest of Ofcom or some other government body which realised that if BT Wholesale gave special pricing to BT Retail, there'd be no room for any competition in the phone and broadband marketplace.
mal0z
Grafter

Well I signed up, and the PN backend systems totally screwed up and billed me incorrectly.
Pete Jackson was great and sorted it behind the scenes - but as of now - at the end of my month - the system has throttled me again
so Beware - the PN billing system / back end systems still don't seem able to cope with this.
I've raised a ticket "27750096" and and email Pete. and will try to be patient and resonable - but it is getting increasingly difficult to restrain myself.
Capvermell
Rising Star

- but as of now - at the end of my month - the system has throttled me again

When were you throttled?
Was it when you exceeded 2Gb data use?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I will have to wait and see,  They changed me over a week end, and the person allocated was not on duty,  a) it didnt go through til 3 days late. B) my account was charged at the old rate, c) I got a confusing ticket re activation dates,  BUT when the allocated person came back on duty it was all sorted out  within a couple of days, it did mean that I had a separate refund the day after my DD went through,  Just gone over 1G in my first month and should go over two, so will keep my eye on it
mal0z
Grafter

I had 10G  + 5G added because of a cock up when I signed up for this new deal.
My advice at the moment - and it saddens me to say it - is to not sign up until PN get their billing / backend systems sorted out.
mal0z
Grafter

I raised a ticket, and after a while phoned CSC - and they quickly sorted it thanks. - but still something wrong somewhere Huh

Capvermell
Rising Star

My advice at the moment - and it saddens me to say it - is to not sign up until PN get their billing / backend systems sorted out.

Billing issues can usually be resolved.  Its very slow or unduly throttled broadband I'm more concerned about.