cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer, trying very hard to contact PlusNet

Rich14

New Customer, trying very hard to contact PlusNet

As a new customer I requested to joint Plus Net.
It was notice that PlusNet had the wrong Post Code and my address was also wrong, so I did a chat online but go nowhere (twice). So I though I try the old way and Telephone (Twice).
The Address changed and post code is now correct but the village in which I live is not mentioned and village 3 miles away is mentioned twice, the local Town is also missing.
How do I get this corrected has PlusNet will be sending a router soon? Angry
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New Customer, trying very hard to contact PlusNet

only by phoning
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It shouldn't be hard, should it? There is a Royal Mail database that gives the correct address format for every address in the UK but Plusnet seems not to use it. They are not alone in this. Also, some companies use it, but miss out the sometimes vital part of the address between the street and the post town. This is how I sometimes get threatening letters from debt collectors and people coming round to disconnect the gas that we don't have!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

PM me the correct address and I'll make sure the router is sent to the right place.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Oh my gosh! This is exactly the issue I've had - I've changed the hardware delivery address and it looks ok so hopefully my router will arrive but despite two online chats, my account address details still aren't right - why? The Post Office postcode finder returns a correct address and I wrote it out clearly in the online chats so why can't Plusnet's database get it right?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Probably because it is wrong on BTw's or BTOR's database. That often takes some effort to get corrected.
If Plusnet order using the correct address and their address is wrong the order is likely to fail which is I think why Plusnet tend to use their address.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: spoon
Probably because it is wrong on BTw's or BTOR's database.

I very much doubt it. The address on my account is not the correct postal address, as recorded by Royal Mail and BTOR. However, it's not a problem and I don't want it changed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How do you know what's on BTOR's database?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: KevinG
Probably because it is wrong on BTw's or BTOR's database.

I very much doubt it. The address on my account is not the correct postal address, as recorded by Royal Mail and BTOR. However, it's not a problem and I don't want it changed.

I'd put money on BTOR's database being wrong.  At my old business address (a pub) BTOR's databases had the old pub name from some 20+ years ago, so evey time they sent out an engineer they could not find us.  PlusNet's address database was correct and reflected the PAF files issued by the post office.
BTOR kept telling us that to correct their address reference we'd need to get the PO PAF updated ... at which point I threw in the towel - just too hard!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KevinG
Rising Star

How do you know what's on BTOR's database?

BT Wholesale checker, address option, enter postcode and it gives a list of addresses.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Sorry to be pedant, that is BTw's database, not BTOR's!  Grin Crazy
There are a multitude of databases used within BTw/BTOR and there's a high level of inconsistency between them.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Well, BT Wholesale checker has my address correct as well as my cab at the local exchange so it must be the BTOR database that's weird. Fingers crossed that router arrives okay as my switch over is due on 16th September and there have been no updates yet - although Plusnet has taken payment!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ha, raking up an older thread here, having just stumbled across it (literally, I wasn't looking for anything to do with it).  There are many companies whose databases are inaccurate. If they all used the Royal Mail database that would be fine - any errors - you know who to go to. The trouble with all these databases is they are often only updated at scheduled intervals.
Quote from: Rich14
..............The Address changed and post code is now correct but the village in which I live is not mentioned and village 3 miles away is mentioned twice, the local Town is also missing.
How do I get this corrected has PlusNet will be sending a router soon? Angry

A very common problem, one which I have issues with from time to time. The 2nd village could well be the postal district, and some companies addressing software "compresses" the address down, leaving out lines other than the first one in the address and the postal district, which is really stupid, because Royal Mail no longer use postal districts even though they are in their database!!
However most companies should be able (or allow you) to edit it, to show it in full, or at least the "critical" parts of it.
I hope yours was resolved OK.
Going slightly off-topic -
Co-incidentally, a couple of days ago, I had a problem, the worst I'd come across in 30 years.
I live in a village in a small private - dead-end road - quite common in a lot of villages, which is off the main road through the village. So my correct address is -
"My number in My Road, Main Road, Village name, District name (next village), County, Postcode."
Now there is also another two dead-end roads (both private iirc), one with a completely different name but has the same postcode, the other with a similar name but has an additional first word to the name and a different postcode.
Usually, as most of you probably know, you are asked to put in your postcode and house number - you can see the potential problems looming.

However, usually there is then the drop down list which gives me the correct choice. So my correct full address is displayed - but not always.
Sometimes it gives "My number in My road, Main Road, District name (next village), Postcode.
The problem with that one is that the District name Village also has a Main Road of the same name!! On occasion, mail has ended up there first, so delayed by a couple of days. On a rarer occasion, some has "disappeared" all together.
The other, but usually infrequent mash of the address by some, produces this -
Flat My Number, My Road (as if it were a building name), Main Road, Village name (sometimes missing), District Village name, Postcode. However that still normally gets to me!
Luckily I've never had a problem with organisations like eBay and Amazon.
But Sunday's complete mash up was this -
"My Road, My Number Main Road, Postal District Village, Postcode" - Not only an address that I don't live at, but it doesn't exist - so couldn't be validated - despite having the correct drop-down list choice initially!!