cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer having an awful experience

benharness

New Customer having an awful experience

Have had the absolute displeasure of being a Plusnet customer for about 5 weeks. The wireless has always been intermittent, the broadband unreliable. And both are getting worse and worse. But now the support team appear to have gone awol - have heard nothing for 4 days despite 5 messages from myself since Wednesday. Going to be a god old fashioned phone call in the morning. And I leave this lot if I need to - and there is no way i will be paying for the next 12 months - this is not a cobntract that is so far being honoured by Plusnet.
Hugely disappointed and frustrated. If any new customers are looking...it may be cheap, but don't do it...
10 REPLIES 10
mjtuohy
Grafter

Re: New Customer having an awful experience

Your contract is only 10 days now. It's only if you have defered charges .( They take a year to vanish. ) That you may owe more.
          Martin
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Welcome to the forums Smiley
Sounds like you could have 2 separate  issues.
1) Wireless, when you say it's unreliable what do you mean? Have you tried changing channels to see if that improves things?
2) Broadband connection, does it keep dropping the connection or something else. It might help if you post your router stats.
Both of these could be down to a faulty router, do you have a spare one to try or could you borrow one?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Ben,
Sorry to hear of the problems you've had so far. I've just taken a look over your account and can see that you've spoken to one of our faults agents who is sending a new router out to you. Hopefully this will get to the bottom of your issues and we'll be able to show you the ISP we really are going forwards.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
benharness

Chris, thanks, got the new router today. Same model, same issues with wireless unfortunately. From working quite well when I first got it it now does not connect on my laptop at all. Even when I'm sat next to the router.
Adiewoo - thanks for yours. The broadband connection keeps dropping out completely, which obviously drives you nuts. It also struggles to open any file more over 500kb.
In terms of the wireless, have had a new router from Plusnet today, but early tests are same issue. And my laptop works fine  at two other locations with wireless. It now just does not connect at all - it cannot find the network?Huh
Not sure how do get router stats?
cheers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the stats are here http://192.168.1.254  then Home > Home Network > Interfaces >WLAN: Thomson  and click details at the top right
benharness

Adiewoo
my router stats are below. Am at a loss as to what i can do to!
Wireless Access Point - PlusnetWireless  
Configuration

Interface Enabled: Yes

Physical Address: 00:24:17:7B:85:C9

Network Name (SSID): PlusnetWireless

Interface Type: 802.11b/g

Actual Speed: 54 Mbps

Band: 2.4G Hz

Channel Selection: Auto

Region: Europe

Channel: 1

Allow multicast from Broadband Network: Yes

Security

Broadcast Network Name: Yes

Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)

Security Mode: WPA-PSK

WPA-PSK Preshared Key: **********

WPA-PSK Encryption: TKIP+AES

WPA-PSK Version: WPA+WPA2
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) WPA Key removed for security reasons.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

remove your wpa keys as quick as you can
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To get the information we need go to here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
Jenkers

Have had similar problems in the past myself (not with Plusnet I may add) looking at your stats I would suggest changing your channel between 6-10, for some strange reason beginning and end of the range seem to present wireless drop, have also found that WPA security appears to be more compatible with all my systems than the later WPA-2
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just another possibility that may help with the wireless issue:
I have a Belkin Router that had similar issues with one particular PC (wireless was just not relaible), I found some advice (sorry I can't remember where) that said the 'Auto' channel setting on my model could cause problems when it changed channel so I set it to a fixed channel and the problem disappeared.
Might be worth a shot.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.