cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never coming back to Plusnet if you ever pick up your phone so I can finally leave

pajack

Never coming back to Plusnet if you ever pick up your phone so I can finally leave

Internet connection has been patchy at best, router dies when it has too many devices connected (this isn't the 90s folks). I've been trying to leave for the last 2 weeks but keep getting fed up of waiting over 30 minutes without getting through to disconnection number. That is not customer service, and is only making a bad experience of this awful company worse. I have warned all my friends and family away from ever thinking of joining Plusnet. It's cheap but you obviously get what you pay for. Worst decision I have made in a long time. I can't wait to say good riddance. It should be illegal to not allow a customer to leave an online service... online. 

3 REPLIES 3
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Never coming back to Plusnet if you ever pick up your phone so I can finally leave

You shouldn't need to contact "disconnections", the gaining provider looks after all that.

If you are still within the minimum contracted term though, there could well be an early termination fee to pay.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Never coming back to Plusnet if you ever pick up your phone so I can finally leave

Hi @pajack, I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble in trying to cancel your services with us as of recent. Our cancellation team can be reached directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

As @newagetraveller pointed out, if you were to transfer your landline number to a new provider then we'll receive request of this and the account would be closed automatically. The same would occur if you were solely moving to another provider on the BT network whether keeping the same number or not. Any other situation then I'd advise giving our cancellations team a call and if it does close automatically then you'd receive an email confirming this. IF you're currently in a contract term then early termination fee's could apply.

By all means we're happy to help with the connection issues you've been seeing as of recent and something that comes to mind that could be behind this is a known issue that relates tot he 5GHz wireless frequency. Id advise then giving the steps below a try on splitting your wireless frequencies and seeing how it goes when devices solely connect the the standard 2.4GHz frequency.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency (some customers have reported this resolving the issue):
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4GHz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Let us know how it goes.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

"router dies when it has too many devices connected" is spmething of a sweeping statement, without the context of how many devices are attempting to do what concurrently ... and dies in what manner ... blows out a puff of smoke ... or just does not support 5 devices concurrently streming Netflix over wifi?

You do not enable anyone to help you by having not identified which Plusnet router.  The 2704n (hub zero) can exhibit wifi conenctivity problems after a couple of weeks of continious operation, which is instantly resolved by a reboot.

As @BD there are a number of devices (notably iPhones) which do not behanve well where 2.4Ghz and 5GHz wifi bands have the same SSID.  They flip-flop between the two giving the impression of internet connectivity issues.

If the Plusnet router does not support all of your houldhold's demands, you are permitted to purchase and install any high spec router you prefer in preference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.