Need to start taking issues with your supplied hardware more serious

TORPC
Grafter

Need to start taking issues with your supplied hardware more serious

Please see
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122856.0.html
As there are known issues that are over 2 years old
I suggest
PlusNet start using a different make(s) / model(s) router or put pressure on Technicolor to fix the issue(s) once & for all in a major overhaul if they dont then change supplier
I am sure other router manufacturers will gladly do business with PlusNet
Why don't PlusNet have an alternative model router especially for testing purposes ?Huh
21 REPLIES 21
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Re: Need to start taking issues with your supplied hardware more serious

The supplied router is probably adequate for most home users. Bundled equipment is normally a vehicle to get new users up & running quickly, and is more a perk than a right. A certain 3-letter provider lock the connection details to their router preventing customers from switching to their own equipment. That would be fair enough if their supplied router was of exceptional quality. It isn't. The wireless range is so poor in fact, they were giving away a free range extender recently.
We have several Android devices and 4 iPhones in use at home, most of which had connectivity problems with the little white router. Even my laptop would fall off regularly, something I never had with my own router.
I see an issue in that other thread where the Sky app refused to see the set top box. That's not unusual apparently. It happened frequently with that same ISP, using their supplied router. When I did the very naughty thing of using my WNR2000 router in place of their supplied (and locked) hardware, I had no issues at all.
Perhaps an alternative would be for Plusnet to continue to supply the standard router as a bundled item, but have the option to upgrade for whatever the additional cost is. When an ISP supplies hardware, they will be paying well below the retail price so the upgrade may be substantially more than the list price. It all comes down to costs in the end. If 75% or more of the customer base are happy enough with the equipment, then they will continue to supply it.
TORPC
Grafter

After 6 pages & approx 2 Weeks 4 days
It is also clear that these issues have been known since earlier firmware(s) over 2 years
CUSTOMER RELEASE NOTE Main Track Release R8.4.5 Maintenance 3
Even PlusNet obviously realises that these issues needs to be addressed & has flagged for the hardware people to take a look Smiley
Quote from: Chris
As a few people in this thread are saying the same, and IIRC there was a previous thread on a similar topic, I've flagged it up for our hardware people to take a look at.
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Looking at online reviews it does appear to be a particularly poor  device in terms of speed & stability. I was just thinking, I don't remember being asked whether I wanted/needed a router. I'm quite happy to stick with my WNR2000, and as Plusnet don't object to customers using their own hardware it seems a bit of a waste manufacturing & shipping something that will most likely not be used.
Quite sucky really
Maybe the next advert could show Craig dropping the router in his blender?
Apprentice
Grafter

If my memory serves me right there was a router trial (20CN / 21CN) back in the Autumn of 2011 for some Community forum members, first come first served apparently [cough], I was with madasafish at the time so didn't "qualify" for the trial.
I wonder what the results/feedback was from the chosen few who trialled it?
Results must have been OK for PN to start shipping them out to new customers? (assuming it was the same router on trial back then)  Tongue
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Thing is, for the majority of home users with 1 PC or laptop it is probably adequate. If most home users are having speed issues, they would be just as likely to blame their machine than the broadband link. There's always a trade-off with these devices for providers. The more difficult to set up, the more likely standard users are to need support. More advanced users will be unhappy with the quality, but more likely to go ahead and provide their own hardware.
After seeing some of the reviews, I will probably just leave mine in the box when it gets here.
deathtrap
Grafter

The Thompson/technicolor  modem/routers TG582N  are supplied by several ISP's I suspect that the price/cost to the ISP per unit will be a deciding factor when they choose which product they will supply, not how good the gui or wireless range are  the above product  is IMO nothing more than a POS  that belongs in landfill , infact  i don't think that Thompson aka speed touch have ever made a good modem router , BE/o2 shipped them free (on loan)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I would like to point out that the previous router supplied, the 585v8, had its own issues which were never really solved.
TORPC
Grafter

Therefore PlusNet could be giving money for old frayed rope Sad
deathtrap
Grafter

If i where plusnet i wouldn't go down the route of supplying hardware,i may sell hardware ,but not supply it as part of the order for broadband services
I've heard the excuses about training staff ect, no router is that difficult to configure, most vendors have the router manuals online these days, in fact i hepled someone in the usa  to configure there router it was a 2wire iirc, supplied by AT&T, 
x47c
Grafter

You forget....Plusnet is now a mass market ISP to the 'great unwashed'
Its all OK for people on this forum who know about routers etc but we here represent a microscopic fraction of Plusnet's user base of something like 700,000 connections - used by probably near on double that number of actual people.
What we think is trivial is actually quite complex for those who have not done it before.
For example I think wiring a 3 pin plug is trivial yet I know people who wouldn't even know where to start.
90% of their subscribers (if not more) either don't know, don't understand or frankly don't care about the router unit.
They want the ISP's to provide the kit - they plug it in and it works....end of story
Many would be even more delighted if BT as network operator would supply a standardised kit which is left in place and auto-configures to whichever ISP they change to.
If they have to faff about either getting a router or re-configuring an old one from a previous ISP they are not going to be interested.
They don't want to have to read manuals online - difficult if their internet connection is non functional anyway.
Most don't even know there is a GUI to log into - they really do not care, they are not interested - and they don't have friends who can do it for them.
Plusnet supplying a base unit and then making a more advanced unit available for those who want to pay for the upgrade  - all at reduced cost because of their bulk buying power for both cheapo and upgraded units all sounds like a good idea.
...but in reality how many people are actually going to want/pay for the upgraded unit - is it going to be just 50 forum members?  and then they will be arguing endlessly over which upgraded unit Plusnet should have contract to
At these sort of numbers its simply not economic for Plusnet and it's better to leave those who really want another unit to go off any buy the one they want and sort it out themselves.
Roberto0151
Grafter

@x47c  +1  !
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@x47c +1
Well put and to the point - it must work well for better than 90% of users or support would just not cope with the workload.  I've installed 4 all with no significant issue - indeed two replaced own routers (residential and business) which were giving operational concerns.
If for specific reasons an individual wants different then the market is a wash with choice - you get what you pay for!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@x47c  +3
I'm very happy with the TG582. It's weeks since I last had any issue with it - the only disconnections are due to power fails* or me gateway hopping etc.
* My router is downstairs and my PC is upstairs on a UPS. This morning the UPS intervened because of electrical noise. The router didn't blink - it's only on a surge protected strip.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

X47c + another 1.
An additional fact to consider in Plusnet's favour is they are one of only a few ISP's  using  TR69 to be able to remotely manage the Router.  It gets in the way for a few more techy users, but for the majority of Users it's a BIG  bonus.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.