Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My fibre upgrade story.

avatastic
Grafter

My fibre upgrade story.

This is a narrative, not a rant.
July 18 - Notice that my cabinet is now showing as fibre available, order is placed with an installation date of July 30. Request to move phone to PN included.
July 19 - Request confirmation that order has gone through. Told by DCT that if I've not been given alternative dates, it's going ahead July 30th. That's not what I was asking, I was asking for verification that the order was successfully sent to BT/o, never got that confirmation.
July 28 - Colleague / neighbour on the same cabinet is upgraded, can't get PPP session.
July 29 - Colleague / neighbour is told by BT/o engineer that there is a fault on the fibre circuit for the exchange that is affecting another exchange. His installation engineer said that the 10 installs he'd done have failed to connect.
July 29 - Attempt to cancel order, told that I need 24h to cancel the order.
July 30 - Upgraded to FTTC, subcontractor arrives at my door, I mention that I understand FTTC wasn't ready due to a fault, he says that he'd done work at the exchange and it was ready. Replaces master socket, tells me that non-BT installs don't get the data extension (wasn't ordered anyway) botches the positioning for the screws to fix the modem to the wall, leaves it hanging up half-assed with nothing more than checking that the modem has sync and gets a sync result from his test.
July 30 - Report no PPP fault to DCT. The order hasn't been closed, DCT can't do anything.
July 30 (late pm) Order closed, fault raised (after DCT have finished for the day)
July 31 -DCT poked, BT/o rejects fault.
Aug 01 - DCT gets BT/o to acknowledge fault. BT/o insists it requires an engineer visit.
Aug 01 - DCT manages to get weekend visit from engineer.
Aug 02 - Engineer phones and repeats what I heard on July 29. Says that fault has been ongoing since June. Someone is supposed to be looking at it at the start of next week.

My main problems with my narrative are:
1) why did BT/o start accepting orders on my cabinet when there was a pre-existing fault on the fibre which meant that anybody migrated would have no service.
2) Why did BT/o keep sending subcontractors to do FTTC installs to exchanges / cabinets which known problems, for 2 months.
3) Why did said subcontractor believe that data kits aren't an option to non-BT installs.
4) Why did the subcontractor keep on doing installs when 10 of them they'd done had already failed.
5) (I expect to see this happen next week, as I drive past the cabinet daily) Why are new installs still going on, now that BT/o have acknowledged the fault and are sending engineers to investigate it.
I'll update this post as the story progresses...
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
8 REPLIES 8
avatastic
Grafter

Re: My fibre upgrade story.

Aug 03 - Nothing happens (it's Sunday, I'm not expecting anything to happen)
Aug 04 - Update from DCT, Wholesale have been chased (presumably with a cricket bat) and someone is looking at faulty ports on the line card. Chasing to be resumed after 1pm tomorrow. Little red dot being watched like a hawk.  (Little red dot turns yellow or green depending on response time)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you have a problem
avatastic
Grafter

Aug 04 (pm) - Red dot goes green. . Awaiting fault closure update.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Glad to have been of help with this and chuffed to see you're connected Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
avatastic
Grafter

I was glad to have you aboard for this journey Adam. I couldn't have hoped for a better navigator through the maze of BT/o and BT/w.
If you have a chance to address the 5 points in the original post I'd be happy to hear that feedback. I'll see if I can grab the name of the subcontractors used around here next time I pass their van (I pass the exchange/cabinet daily). I remember its of the form of "Initial. Initial. Surname Integrations" (or something similar).
I don't suppose you know if they'd have done a reset to restart the training period from today after the line card work was carried out?
Also can you explain ticket 89337712 to me? Did someone try and call me and get my lodger, or did someone call you trying to impersonate me?
Thanks for all your help!
A.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

M J Quinn, probably.
avatastic
Grafter

If they're known to operate in Mid Wales, then you may be right J.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning Avatastic,
The other Adam is on with Twitter this morning so I thought it best to attempt to address your f main questions for you although I'm aware that this will be a little tough to do.
Quote from: avatastic
My main problems with my narrative are:
1) why did BT/o start accepting orders on my cabinet when there was a pre-existing fault on the fibre which meant that anybody migrated would have no service.
2) Why did BT/o keep sending subcontractors to do FTTC installs to exchanges / cabinets which known problems, for 2 months.
3) Why did said subcontractor believe that data kits aren't an option to non-BT installs.
4) Why did the subcontractor keep on doing installs when 10 of them they'd done had already failed.
5) (I expect to see this happen next week, as I drive past the cabinet daily) Why are new installs still going on, now that BT/o have acknowledged the fault and are sending engineers to investigate it.

Ultimately, points 1, 2, 4 & 5 are pretty tough to answer as we're not privy to the total breakdown and internal working processes of BT/O. No doubt the processes they do have in place will no doubt have no way of linking multiple faults to to a single cabinet and halt the order process which is understandably not a desired method of working. Given the above, the despatch of engineers would likely suffer the same fate so they will no doubt have been sent purely based on availability within the area.
In an ideal world we would see a fault identified with an entire cabinet and this would then call in the BT/O engineers for a fix while halting all additional orders in that area and maybe placing the cabinet in a state of 'Not Accepting Orders' but unfortunately this isn't something I'm sure exists.
With point 3, this is again a tough one to explain as this could have just been down to a contractor who genuinely isn't aware of the data kit availability, wasn't briefed about them correctly or maybe didn't have one to hand. Again this is just speculation as we don't have a level of insight that would explain the reasons behind this problem.
I'm sorry we didn't have more insight on these points for you.
With regards to ticket 89337712, it seems that someone called into us either from one of the telephone numbers on the account or they provided some detail from the account that would allow us to identify it however they were unable to satisfy Data Protection so we were unable to discuss the account with them. As you mentioned a lodger, would this be something he would call us about in order to get an update on the fix for the broadband service?