cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience of Plusnet: good and bad

Bruce47
Grafter

My experience of Plusnet: good and bad

With my connection due to cease in just over a week, I thought I'd give some feedback on my time (albeit only 6 months) with Plusnet.
The negatives:
1. Billing system needs updating to handle discounts more efficiently, especially referral payments when another discount is present on the account.
2. Keeping customers updated as to why their referral payments are not being paid: remember that the referrers are the ones who bring new business to Plusnet.
3. M&S vouchers - need I say more.  However the matter was resolved to my satisfaction.
And on a more positive note:
1. These forums.  Absolutely brilliant and staff here are very helpful (I'm looking at you Adam!)
2. Broadband connection has been very good.  OK, I'm only getting 8-9mbps compared to the estimated 13 but it seems very stable without too much latency.
3. The price and contract terms.  Where else could I get broadband for £11.49 without needing to sign a 12/18 months contract?  Even with the cessation fee, it is still good value.
Overall, I've been quite pleased except for the billing/referral issues mentioned so would consider Plusnet if I needed a connection in the future (but probably wouldn't bother with referrals).
On another note, I have a couple of questions.  What time of day my broadband is likely to cease, i.e. can I use it in the morning before moving out?  Also am I charged for the connection on cessation day (which is the very last day in this billing period)?  And how/when do I pay the cessation fee?
27 REPLIES 27
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: My experience of Plusnet: good and bad

Hi there,
Sorry to hear that you're leaving us, thanks very much for your custom and also for your balanced and honest feedback. Please don't think I'm picking apart your post but I though it best that we respond to some of the points you've made here:

1. Billing system needs updating to handle discounts more efficiently, especially referral payments when another discount is present on the account.

discounts and referrals are handled differently, however I know you've had issues with both. From our point of view we can't just blame the billing system, process and human error did play a part in what happened to you but rest assured lessons have been learned here. I've made sure of that Smiley
2. Keeping customers updated as to why their referral payments are not being paid: remember that the referrers are the ones who bring new business to Plusnet.

We can't do this pro-actively if there's an issue I'm afraid but we should be taking every effort to feed back to you after an issue has been reported. Let me know if your looking for more info in relation to your problems with this.
3. M&S vouchers - need I say more.  However the matter was resolved to my satisfaction.

This was clearly a problematic promotion for us in some ways, again lessons have been learned and we apologise for if your expectations weren't met.
1. These forums.  Absolutely brilliant and staff here are very helpful (I'm looking at you Adam!)

What else can I say to that apart from cheers!
2. Broadband connection has been very good.  OK, I'm only getting 8-9mbps compared to the estimated 13 but it seems very stable without too much latency.

So why are you going?
3. The price and contract terms.  Where else could I get broadband for £11.49 without needing to sign a 12/18 months contract?  Even with the cessation fee, it is still good value.

Again, why are you going? Wink
In answer to your questions, the cease can be carried out at pretty much any time of day as only a date is committed to with our suppliers, nothing more specific than that I'm afraid. Also we only charge for services up to the cease date, not including that date.
As for when we take the fee, that's usually on the day of cancellation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bruce47
Grafter

Why am I leaving?
I'm leaving this address and going back to an address where I'm currently in a contract with another provider - this was only ever a second home that I occupied for part of the year Tongue
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

another provider

BOO, no probs Wink don't be a stranger Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bruce47
Grafter

I don't quite think Plusnet could beat the offer that I have with TalkTalk on a legacy tariff with loyalty discount:
Line Rental £12.30
UK Anytime Calls £10.29
International Extra (free anytime calls to certain countries) Free
Broadband (40gb per month) Inclusive
Privacy Pack (caller display) Free
Loyalty Discount £5.00
Total £17.59
They offer the £5.00 discount everytime I renew the contract for another 12 months.  Only another 9 months left, so I can't think about switching anytime soon!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I can't really state whether we could beat that I'm afraid, did you run these details past the customer options team when you called to cancel?
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bruce47
Grafter

No, as I've still got 9 months left on the TalkTalk contract, I can't switch without paying TalkTalk at least £150.
Bruce47
Grafter

If I cancel the direct debit now and pay the final bill/cessation fee by card, will I be charged the £1.50 card payment fee?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No, you won't be charged. That rule only applies to subscription payments.
By the way you don't need to cancel the DD as we can't take one-off fees such as a cancellation fee via those means, but if you want to for peace of mind be our guest.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bruce47
Grafter

I've just received this email from Plusnet
You're only one person away from getting a year of free broadband
We can see that you've now recommended us to two people, which means that you only have to sign up one more person to get a year of free broadband.
Can I be really cheeky please?  Would it be possible to "store" the discount on my account until the end of September/start of October when I'll be needing a landline in London? Cheesy
Pretty please?  I'll refer another customer to Plusnet if you like?  (Or maybe not 'cos then it'll be 12 months discount I'll ask for)! Huh
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
I really can't make any promises. Let me look into that and come back to you.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bruce47
Grafter

Is this normal Adam?
Ticket #40987131
The cease for this account was cancelled on 22/03/2011

Ticket #40987129
Service was scheduled to be changed to PlusNet Residential Generic Services Product on 22-03-2011 but was cancelled:
Cease in progress
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It's fine - the cease went through yesterday, it was closed off on the account in order that we can downgrade it to the mail account as per your request.
Bruce47
Grafter

I have just been billed for another month of internet, phone and a non-DD processing charge.  Am calling Plusnet now.
Bruce47
Grafter

Just spoken to someone.  The £16.98 is being refunded and a request will be raised for payment of the £8 referral fees that were deducted from the invoice.  He also took the £25 cessation fee. Angry