Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Fibre experience

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: My Fibre experience

@Townman - thanks for enlightening me, I guess I should have known. Just have to rely on speed tests and cross my fingers that I don't have any problems requiring more detailed diagnostics.
Anyway, 5 days in and my connection appears to have stabilised at speeds close to 39Mb. When using my netbook and a tablet device, the performance improvement is noticeable although not as spectacular as I expected. I guess the greatest benefit is unseen, windows updates, anti-virus updates, etc.
The desktop performance is pretty disappointing, which is I expect due to the age and low spec of the unit. I haven't had the time to investigate if the limiting factor is either the processor (1.8Hz Celeron), the shortage of graphics memory (pages with pictures in particular appear slow to load, with periods where no data is being downloaded), or slow read-write access to the hard drive. TBH I'm not too bothered about this as the desktop will go once I get the new laptop set up and files transferred over, and get to grips with Windows 8!
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great to hear that speed has picked up after the profile change  Wink
Thanks again for documenting your journey through the upgrade process, it's been good to see a little more insight into this from the customers perspective which we rarely see when all goes well!
Let us know how you get on with your Windows 8 machine on a wired connection.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Another observation - last night I was using my netbook wirelessly upstairs. I would normally get a good or very good signal (strength 3-4 out of 5) with the old TG582n router, but the fibre version of the same make/model router was giving me a low signal (strength 2).
There was only one other wireless signal in range, similar strength. Should I try changing the broadcast channel?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi maranello,
This guide may prove useful: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/wireless_signal.shtml
Let us know if any changes you make improves this at all.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

but the fibre version of the same make/model router was giving me a low signal (strength 2).

I tried 2 different fibre 582Ns which both had poor wireless.  Cry There are several threads on the BB forum on this very subject. Like many users I bought my own router. However, that apart, I'm absolutely delighted with PN, both the product, reliability & excellent customer support.  Smiley
Hope you have better luck.
All4One
Grafter

I had 2 TG582n's on fibre. 1 died within 20mins of use (luck of the draw) and second one, well I had unexplained disconnects through games and switching over to a Home Hub 3 stopped this. Saying that, the wireless was absolutely fine, ran like a dream when in use!