cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Feedback is bad, so if you feel I am trolling don't read.

flexo1966
Grafter

Re: My Feedback is bad, so if you feel I am trolling don't read.

@DomS
The last BTOR engineer that came to the house commented on the wiring that was in the house.
I told him that it had been commented on before by the last engineer that came. (and something about dropwire 6 outside)
I told him that there was a brand new line that was put into the house that I used for a fax line which was going to waste.
He said if I wanted he could swap them over. So bless him he set to swapped the line over and did all all the work that was needed including running a wire all the way around the room.
When he was finished he ran a line check and told me everything was working fine and showed me his phone that was reading 61Meg.
We then wired up the plusnet router and connected to the internet........38Meg shown on the first read. The engineer stood there and scratched his head. He ran another test and again 61Meg shown on his phone.
He then rang a BT number and had somebody run a check on the line. If I remember correct what he was told is this.
The line monitor themselves for faults and when they find them they adjust the speed accordingly. So although his phone he could register 61Meg the the line from the cabinet because faults will only ever get 37Meg if I am lucky untill these are fixed. This must be the same for the rest of the street and I am thinking of writing a letter to the residents for them to check the speed that there isp's claim they are giving them.
flexo1966
Grafter

stylusnet

76 mb broadband, my plusnet fibre is on 5mb max, I would give my first born for speeds like that, it's the price I have to pay to look across fields and a river, rather than looking at ford transits up on bricks.
flexo1966
Grafter

It just gets better.
Thank You plusnet for allowing me to pay 76Meg and letting me receive this. Awesome company.
Was going to call and have a chat but I have to go out in an hour.
gswindale
Grafter

Hi,
I note from your earlier post:
The line monitor themselves for faults and when they find them they adjust the speed accordingly. So although his phone he could register 61Meg the the line from the cabinet because faults will only ever get 37Meg if I am lucky untill these are fixed. This must be the same for the rest of the street and I am thinking of writing a letter to the residents for them to check the speed that there isp's claim they are giving them.

which does sound like you have a problem that is of BTOR's making.
I would suggest that you work with PN to encourage BTOR to fix these issues.  Have you actually raised a fault through the fault checker?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Flexo,
I have just checked in on your fault details after seeing your post and it appears that a problem was cleared in some underground cabling and you seems to have had the mismatched BRAS and DSLAM profile issue fixed which should have brought your speeds back up, however there seems to be a difference in the speed tested IP profile and the IP profile you currently have.
Could you please run the speed test again with a wired connection to the router and click the 'Further Diagnostics' button that can be seen on the bottom of the screenshot you provided and we should be able to see where we go from there.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: flexo1966

Talktalk had a family filter so with a press of a button you can mediate what family can see or not.

Anyone requiring a family filter should be able to use OpenDNS (ISP independent and configurable to YOUR requirements): http://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/opendns-home/
It's not really your ISPs responsibility to determine what websites should be accessible to you and your family.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
flexo1966
Grafter

flexo1966
Grafter

From plusnet when I joined
Estimated Broadband Speed:63 Mbps
Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.
From The last engineer that came to the house
The BTOR engineer showed me a reading taken 3 times using his equipment that he was achieving 61Meg at my premises.
There was no reason in his opinion why I should not get this speed other than faults beyond my control.
50Meg is fast, very fast but it was not what was sold to me.
It is obvious whichever isp I chose I would have had the same problem. But this now has taken over 3 months to sort and in doing so has flagged up many faults that plusnet has.
No family filter, no mac o/s support, unbelievable amount of time waiting on the phone for customer support are but a few. You then make excuses which all seen to boil down BTOR.
I pay you as my isp and as such expect you to sort problems out, not pass the buck on.
Is it also true Which? Magazine will not be endorsing you anymore because that was the sole reason why I joined.
Steve 

P.s
was promised some form of compensation from the loyalty department but I won't hold my breath.
flexo1966
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Quote from: flexo1966

Talktalk had a family filter so with a press of a button you can mediate what family can see or not.

Anyone requiring a family filter should be able to use OpenDNS (ISP independent and configurable to YOUR requirements): http://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/opendns-home/
It's not really your ISPs responsibility to determine what websites should be accessible to you and your family.

So what is the government campaigning about then?
As I said with Talktalk You are in control of what your family can see or not. And more so with what can be seen on the web it should be law to offer all customers that isp's have over some form of protection. As with Talktalk you can either use or opt out.
Having said all that, if someone wants to see something on the net they will.
All the major isp's have this option why not plusnet.
Oh I work as a printer, not a computer programer.

Empirical
Grafter

>>No family filter<<
This is not a fault because it is not a service that is offered. You would not go to subway and complain they do not sell big macs. Plusnet is a budget ISP and AFAIK do not offer parental controls do not advertise parental controls are not obliged to provide parental controls. You could suggest they offer it but acting as though it is a fault on their part is frankly ridiculous. If such a service is so important to you then why did you pick an ISP which does not offer it?
flexo1966
Grafter

You are quite right plusnet is a "budget isp" and do offer parental controls which as a parent I should have checked. They also do not offer mac o/s support so no of the software is compatible, still who uses mac's anyway. There customer support is "frankly ridiculous" and given the choice I would leave today. But plusnet being a budget ISP need customers.
The government has been campaigning for isp's to provide parental controls which some company's seem to think is does not warrant the time for them to do so. Fault or not this is as you quite rightly stated a  budget ISP and untill they look at their infrastructure and not their wallet will continue to be a budget ISP
jim:quote
Empirical
Grafter

They also do not offer mac o/s support so no of the software is compatible, still who uses mac's anyway.

Well no, I agree in part with you on that. If there software is windows only then they should advertise that fact clearly. If they do then my thought is the same as with the parent controls but if they do not that is an issue they need to address.
As to the rest of your comment, by infrastructure I assume you mean procedures, call center availability etc in which case again I agree! Clearly they are not going to be able to get their call times down anytime soon the new call center is just a drop in the ocean, so they should start thinking about other methods to address this such as callback and priority for text talk.
In regards to them being "always being a budget ISP"....I hope so. I may be mistaken but isn't that their target market? Its certainly why I left Virgin (National) and I hope they are always a budget ISP because I am poor. So Im not sure why you think that is something not to be aspired too.
flexo1966
Grafter

I made a grave mistake coming to plusnet from Talktalk who had more than their fair share of problems. I didn't do my homework and now plusnet refuse to release me from this contract because £40 a month is more important to them.
They are a budget isp, they are behind the times and quite simply unable to fulfill the contracts or the speeds they offer.
I am also told via twitter that they have lost or will lose there endorsement by Which? Magazine. Can plusnet confirm or deny this.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

As ever, Which? Does not have a clue when it comes to technology.  They do not have the brains to separate out what is a function of an ISP as opposed to what's totally within the control of BTOR.  For example, line speed, appointment punctuality / attendance, quality of installation and fault rectification are all in BTOR's domain, yet they persist in assessing these characteristics against the ISP.
They are however not alone, Think Broadband do just the same.
BTOR's criminal failure to deliver is causing a massive headache for ISPs - at the moment PlusNET is simply not geared up to deal with the consequential call volume.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.