cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house service is a shambles and I need a quick resolution

momotaroushido

Moving house service is a shambles and I need a quick resolution

I was due to move house on the 18th of November. On the 5th, I notified Plusnet of my intention to move and they told me that it will be up and running when I move in. I quote:

"This message is to confirm that your orders are committed to complete any time up to midnight on 19/11/18."

After the engineer visit, the internet didn't work, despite the fact that the engineer said I just needed to plug in the DSL cable and it'll be fine. I asked on the ticket and was then told that the above quote was just about the phone line, and that my broadband will take another 2 weeks to get running. 

It says on this home move page that I need to give 2-3 weeks notice (which i did) and everything will be sorted. Well it hasn't, and I'm being told I have to wait 2 weeks before I get working internet. As it's the run up to Christmas, the timing couldn't be worse and not having internet working is creating a lot of problems organising the holiday period, and it's making the move much more stressful than it needs to be.

All I want is to have good internet working when I need it, and at the moment it's not happening. When I organised the move, I signed up to a new 18 month contract as I believed the move would go smoothly, but if I had known this would have happened I would have cancelled my previous contract early, eaten the cost of leaving and switched to Virgin who at the moment are provigin 100mb internet for 25 pounds a month. 

Any attempt at resolving this issue is met with either

1. "please call up this number" which I'm inevitably put on hold for however long, or
  2. That I'm past my 14 day cooling off period to cancel my new contract (despite the fact that I don't have any working internet, so I find it amusing that my contract has started at all)

Simply put I am not happy at all with the service I've received so far, and would like to either be able to cancel my new contract and return to my previous one (which ends in 5 months or so, I believe), get fastracked to get my internet working on time as agreed previously, or to get compensated for all the issues so far. 

I've heard so much about Plusnets amazing customer service, and whilst everyone I've spoken to is very friendly and nice, nothing is actually being done to resolve my problem and I'm not satisfied with this. Please resolve this ASAP. 

4 REPLIES 4
Jarryd
Dabbler

Re: Moving house service is a shambles and I need a quick resolution

I've been having the same problem if I was you I'd switch to virgin if you can! unfortunately our small town doesn't have that option else I'd of switched weeks ago it's actually bt who control how fast you'll be up and running they hold the reigns not plusnet. We have been waiting over a month now with still no luck. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. Your situation maybe different and hopefully it's resolved quicker then ours. Good luck
Tags (1)
momotaroushido

Good to hear it's not just me (although unlucky for both of us!). When I first set Plusnet up more than 2 years ago I was left without internet for almost 2 months because of how much faffing about they were doing, so I feel your pain.

I would switch but when I moved I stupidly signed up for a new contract to avoid the set up fees; so now my fee to leave early will be upwards of £200+ which is too much to justify. I tried arguing that my 14 day cooling off period could still be active because I haven't received my internet yet, but they said it's 14 days since I signed up, so it's too late. 

Unless this is resolved satisfactorily I will defiintely be switching as soon as it's financially feasable and warning my friends and colleagues of this. 

Jarryd
Dabbler

Wish we was warned this. as I know how unbelievably stressful it is! You don't realise how of a necessity being online is until you lose it. We've moved to a place where mobile signal is extremely poor so was relying on the wifi Sad surely they can't say that the cooling off period is active when you sign up!! Especially if you haven't received the full service they promise in the contract. But no doubt it'll be written in the small print somewhere.
Tags (2)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear that things have gone wrong causing a delay with activating your broadband service, and apologies for the delayed staff response.

I've had a look into this for you and essentially the delay is caused by a combination of engineer availability and that we didn't place your fibre order alongside the phone order to complete on the same day.

This meant that when your phone service went live on the 19/11/2018 we then had to place your fibre order which has committed to a date of 03/12/2018 as we'd need an engineer to go out to the cabinet(the green box in the road).

There are certain instances where we have to place the orders separately, for example if further work like a survey is needed to get your phone line up and running, but this didn't seem to be the case for you. 

Ultimately this would be due to agent error in placing the order and I'll ensure feedback is passed on.

That said, had we placed the fibre order simultaneously with the phone order, it's likely the engineer appointment for the 19/11/2018 would've been delayed due to the availability of fibre trained engineers in the area.

Regarding cancellation, we do allow people to cancel an order outside of the 14 day cooling off period as long as we haven't provided a service yet or the orders haven't reached a stage where they can't be cancelled.

As we have provided you with a phone service, I'm afraid we wouldn't release you from your contract term without penalty, but once the issue is resolved, we'd be happy to offer you a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience caused by the delay.

I've moved your ticket to my own workflow so I can take ownership of this for you moving forward.

@Jarryd, sorry for the issues with your order. Unfortunately for you it looks like your order got stuck within our suppliers systems in such a way they couldn't progress it, so ultimately they cancelled the order.

I can see we've since replaced the order and I've got in touch with our suppliers and they're expediting the order due to the delays caused on their end.

They've selected the earliest slot showing in the expedite book which is the 27/11/2018, but please bear in mind this is ultimately due to engineer availability and the expedite being processed by the system.

Your house move ticket is in my team's workflow, so we'll continue to keep an eye on this for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet