cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Home and moving fibre & Phone service - is this correct ?

DuncanM
Grafter

Moving Home and moving fibre & Phone service - is this correct ?

I called customer options team today to set in progress my home move which will be on 2 February. The current occupier of the property I am buying and moving into has an ADSL and phone service with Talk Talk. Having seen on the member centre that plus net require 2 to 3 weeks to move my service I thought there was a good chance that on Feb 2 or 3 my line would be up and running with my phone and FTTC fibre service. However apparently not. As soon as the owner of the property initiates the move of her service to her new address it will cancel my Open reach order and Plus Net will have to then put in the order again after 2 February and I will have to wait another two weeks for my service to start. Apparently the only way I could hope to have my service at the new address on 2 Feb is to ask the owner of the property if she would not contact talk talk at all to move her service and allow a working line take over ? Is this  correct ? As she may still be in contract she would be liable for charges for breach of contract.
If this is correct then I really think the info page should be updated to reflect the correct timescale. As things stand I will have to wait at least two weeks after moving in before I will have landline and internet when the plus net info page on home moves indicates you just need to give 2 to 3 weeks notice of the move.  Sad
2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Moving Home and moving fibre & Phone service - is this correct ?

Hi Duncan,
Your summary is about right.  It arises from BTOR's in ability to have more than one order on a line at a time.  This time-line issue has been seen on numerous occasions when users have decided to change providers and they take the 'foolish' step in telling their existing provider that they are moving: the existing provider then places a cease on the line and nothing else can happen until the end date.
In the house move you've described, you gave the same cause and effect, but arising from the actions of unconnected parties, each having their own very reasonable agendas.
The situation is crass stupid and a sensible solution is not within the gift of CPs or ISPs to deliver beyond 'wasting' infra structure by having a second line (with all of the additional costs) installed.
A complaint to Ofcom would be a good starting point, but they take years to do anything meaningful.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Moving Home and moving fibre & Phone service - is this correct ?

If you can, try to call at least a week before your move, but the more notice you can give us, the better.
It usually takes about a week to get broadband and phone up and running at a new property. If we need to book an engineer it can take a bit longer. We'll do our best to give you an accurate activation date when you call.

While I appreciate we do try to give a rough time scale, unfortunately we're unable to place an order on a line that already has an order on it Sad
Furthermore, with FTTC it does usually require an engineer. Although they may no longer need access to the property with self install orders, the orders do still rely on engineer availability to carry out work at the cabinet.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet