cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved from Sky 13/14th Feb - BAD mistake!

MIAG

Moved from Sky 13/14th Feb - BAD mistake!

I have moved from Sky - Cost saving was the motive for moving. During the 'unnoticeable' changeover I was without a phone for 5 hours and without any internet for 24hours. Since then the internet connection has dropped out on a regular basis, a couple times a week, usually slowing to dial-up speed just before doing so. It has taken me an hour to get onto this forum - I hope it holds up.

I was getting a regular and reliable 8 Mbps for the past five years - I now regret having found Plusnet but I'm signed up for the next 18 months so that works out at around 150 likely failures of service before I can look at getting out of here.

I am guessing that Plusnet, being part of BT have a much higher contention ratio and when the world and his wife switch on the whole thing collapses.

Just have to grin an bear it I suppose - I doubt that anything will come of this missive, but it makes me feel better - a bit.

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Moved from Sky 13/14th Feb - BAD mistake!

Sorry, but I think your conclusions are all wrong.

Some technical facts may help, are you testing via a wired or WiFi connection?

Are you able to share your sync speeds and max attainable speeds?

If WiFi, have you looked at any WiFi analyser to see if you are using a congested channel?

There are lots of helpful tips over in the Help section which should also help you narrow things down, and so work out where the issue you are having is.

The more info you can provide, the more helpful info you will get back. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'm really sorry to hear you're having speed problems @MIAG I've tested your line and I can see that your router is in sync at 8.5 Mbps with no errors detected or disconnections between the exchange and your router.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MIAG

To clarify:

My main computer is hard wired to the router. There are other devices in use but I do not use them to access the router or do any sync or speed testing (my experience goes back to ethernet via coax!).

No there is no problem with the connection speed at this time. It occurs randomly, in early evenings. Sometimes the whole system slows to around 'dial-up' speeds and then recovers. Sometimes it does not recover but goes down completely for a half hour or so. The ADSL element is still showing as being present but the internet connection reduces to non-existent. It could be that there is still a signal, hence no error shown, but it is too low to be usable hence the router shows it as disconnected.

Next time it happens I will record the actual data from my router.

For now it is working.

Thank for reply,

MIG

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

If/when the problem reoccurs, I'd advise to run a BTW speedtest at www.speedtest.btwholesale.com, being sure to complete the further diagnostics. Then, raise a fault to us http://faults.plus.net and our faults team will investigate.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MIAG

The internet connection just slowed and dropped 30 minutes ago. It has now restored, obviously!.

The big problem with your advise is that in order to test the speed I need a connection, when the connection restores itself then obviously it is back up to speed. I cannot test anything except the data from my router when it is down, and that just confirms what I already knew, that there was a slowing of the line prior to the outage with numerous packet errors, which of course, reset when the line restored.

The up side is that it a whole week since I last suffered an outage, which is a very slight improvement on twice a week.

I have reported a fault, but as it is an intermittent fault it probably will not show up on a simple line test.