Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved from Infinity to Plusnet, and it was a huge mistake

Moroboshi
Dabbler

Re: Moved from Infinity to Plusnet, and it was a huge mistake

@J1mbo wrote:

More anger, more emotion, but nothing helpful in understanding whatever the issue is at hand.

Comparing with Asia isn't fair because they didn't have the legacy of a copper network in many areas. FTTC is what it is - the most cost effective way of delivering 20-80Mbps services *in the UK* and many other places. 10ms Ping is OK for most use cases - browser, Citrix, RTSP or whatever. Remember this is designed to be a CHEAP service.

I used to get a 10ms ping on BT, but on Plusnet it's 35ms+. Online gaming is a non starter. 

There is no way to fix this mess as Plusnet refuse to help. As this is at an impasse, if they had a shread of decency they would release me from the contract so I could join a professional ISP. They won't, as they're thieves and liars. 

Maybe ISPA will fix this, or CISAS. In the mean time, I'll advise everyone I know to avoid Plusnet like the plague, and leave one star reviews on every ISP review site. These guys are crooks. 

J1mbo
Dabbler

But those warnings have no credibility because there is no diagnostic data to support the claims.

Modem stats will be ascertain line error rates and sync rates; a TAP3 test can help to assess back haul congestion. Crosstalk is an issue with FTTC in high density areas, something I think BT are dealing with with some new modem features in HH5b.

Tags (1)
Zoidster
Grafter

@J1mbo wrote:

The problem is that there are so many variables with WiFi, and FTTC can easily exceed 2.4GHz 802.11n single-stream throughput even before we consider interference, congestion, manufacturer chipset incompatibilities, access point firmware issues, Windows driver issues (especially around WiFi power management), and so on.

So really using a simple Ethernet connection eliminates all of that and enables proper fault diagnostics with actual facts.

I totally understand this,  I just think in an age where it is quite possible that an end user will not possess a computer with with an Ethernet port, its time for a rethink?   Perhaps the best thing would be if the Router itself was able to perform the test?  

Actually, on that note, Why isn't the sync speed shown on the router enough to conclude a probem in itself? The very helpful guy I just spoke to from Plusnet appeared to agree with me and is thankfully sending an engineer out.  

J1mbo
Dabbler

I concur with this, in leased lines we always expect an RFC line test to be performed.

There is no reason why the router firmware couldn't include iPerf for the providers use in these circumstances.

Moroboshi
Dabbler

Plusnet are continuing to fight this. ISPA are now involved which has caused Plusnet to threaten me with extra charges. 

A truly despicable company. 

J1mbo
Dabbler

Do you have any diagnostic data yet?

Moroboshi
Dabbler

Please go away. You are a troll. 

J1mbo
Dabbler

One that can help you get this fixed; presumably you do actually want help?