Fixes: 1

More than 60GB per month ?

This month, my family (4) used
Wk 1    19GB
Wk 2    21GB
Wk 3    14GB
Wk 4
Wk 4.5
When people start watching TV etc online, the GBs can be eaten up and easily reach 60GB.
Going over is £5 per 5GB.  If we had not made a specific effort to cut out the streaming then it could have reached 100GB.  That would have been an extra £40.
Now I watch very little.  In reality, I suspect some people could use a lot more than 100GB - and many more people over time will be doing that.
I suspect those people do not use Plusnet.  So, is there a cheaper way to buy 100GB than the above ?  If not, how will Plusnot cope as that becomes more common ?
9 REPLIES 9
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: More than 60GB per month ?

Quote from: irritablegit
I suspect those people do not use Plusnet.  So, is there a cheaper way to buy 100GB than the above ?  If not, how will plusnet cope as that becomes more common ?

a, wait for the new product refresh which is coming soon
b, .move to a different provider
I used to be with PN for my home phone and broadband ( market 1 exchange), but regrettably had to move because the packages do not give enough GB ( for  on demand content ) a month and i wanted inclusive mobile calls at weekends, as more users want to watch online content, and use the net more, naturally GB will increase.
At the moment i am paying less than what i would with PN and getting more features and much more useage, if the product refresh is any good i may move back Smiley
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fourfourdevon
Grafter

If you work from home, you can look at business packages.
Epyon
Grafter

If would be good if you could get the 120GB usage of extra fibre package even if you're on ADSL and just pay the price.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Seems to me the only answer is going to be "Pay As You Use" because what ever packages are offered some people will always want more. Just like Gas, Water and Electricity you pay for what you use. Trouble with that of course some people want more but don't want to pay for it.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: glloyd
Seems to me the only answer is going to be "Pay As You Use"

This could also be fairer for those people who can't get higher speed broadband for whatever reason (eg bad lines, no fibre or ADSL2+ options). Longer term it could also spur BT and other wholesale providers into providing better infrastructure because the quicker the speeds they provide the better their return on investment.
Bojangles
Grafter

It's very easy to stay within the allowance providing you try to watch downloaded TV programmes instead of the streamed versions. That way you can simply download over night, wake up with several hours of programmes ready to go and still have 60GB remaining.
phil4
Grafter

Downloading overnight is a good idea but is heavily reliant on the software you use..... I'm not sure BBCs iPlayer for example enables you to do this.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

The vast majority of programs are not legally available for download regardless of time.
iPlayer does allow for *some* of its programs to be downloaded.
Bojangles
Grafter

Quote from: phil4
..... I'm not sure BBCs iPlayer for example enables you to do this.

With IPlayer you can use a task scheduler so that you don't have to stay up till midnight to start the download.