cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misled into changing package and entering into another 1yr contract

stevenb
Grafter

Misled into changing package and entering into another 1yr contract

A month or so ago we were asked if we wanted to change to the unlimited package from the 120gb  a month package we were on, we were assured our speed would not be slower it would be faster if anything, we were also assured there would be no speed cap or traffic shaping on our line.
We have now been switched to the unlimited package and our DL speed has gone from roughly 7000 Kbps to 5500 Kbps and our upload has gone from 1200 Kbps to 330Kbps.  My partner phoned tech support and we were told our upload has been capped.  My Son and I use Xbox Live and with a 330kbps upload is unplayable!!  We were told that if we signed up to this package for 12 months, our internet would be much better and faster so can somebody please explain why we were misled into signing up to a 12 month contract with this promise?  Before we committed to this 12 month contract we were on a month to month contract and our internet speeds etc were spot on and now since committing to 12 months it is the worst that our internet has ever been!!  We have been with PlusNet for over 4 years without any issues at all until signing up for another 12 month contract - why is this?? 
So we would appreciate it if somebody could please fix our upload and download speed or do a FULL reset on our line to try and rectify this problem or send us our MAC code because this is NOT the verbal contract that we entered into!

26 REPLIES 26
All4One
Grafter

Re: Misled into changing package and entering into another 1yr contract

If you input your phone number into here: what are you estimated speeds? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
I can only guess that the package change has applied PN's upload cap at 448Kbps so you'd need to get them to request the cap removed.
Upgrading to their Unlimited package wouldn't cause speed issues and there is no traffic shaping on that product (where as their older products can have shaping)
To be honest, 5.5Mbps and .3Mbps upload wouldn't cause issues with gaming to be unplayable. Certainly I've been on similar uplaod and smaller download and never had an issue.
I imagine something has occurred with your line and your sync just dropped a bit. It can happen on broadband sometimes. It ain't a stable X speed service and can change.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Stevenb.
There are some 'unfortunate' 'characteristics' of PN's package change processes which set some elements back to 'default'.  Two of which come to mind are upload speed and the PN firewall settings, I suspect that you might have been 'hit' by these 'characteristics'.  See here and here.
If you raise a ticket I am sure it will get promptly sorted.  Unfortunately for you, the customer care team do not patrol here in the forums during the weekend.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stevenb
Grafter

I am also having problems watching football online.  I have watched it online for over 4 years without any problems, but since being misled into changing to this Unlimited I can no longer watch it, it just buffers all the time.  I ran a bt speed test while trying to watch football and it came back fine.
Speed tester says I get 6.34 Mbps download, so why cant i watch a 2Mbps stream?  I could watch the football with no problems at all before we switched to this Unlimited package and we also asked if changing our package would affect the football and we were assured that it would be fine, in fact better!
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.34 Mbps  For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.  IP Profile for your line is - 5.87 Mbps.
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.3Mbps  Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
So if everything is fine then why can I not watch the football can somebody tell me please?  NOTHING has changed from our end so it is obvious the fault is with PlusNet OR the differences between the two packages.
THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND IF THESE PROBLEMS ARE NOT RESOLVED WE WILL BE CONTACTING THE ISPA!!!!!!!!!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you connecting to the router wired or wirelessly?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
stevenb
Grafter

I am wired m8
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Is it better/worse at any particular time of day?
stevenb
Grafter

We have only been on this package since the 24 Oct and every time I have tried to watch the football, no matter what time of day or night it is the same, it just buffers and jams.
I think the problem is traffic prioritisation which I don't think we had on our old package, but I could be wrong.
At the end of the day, we were assured there would be no cap on speed which there is, and we were also assured changing to unlimited would not stop us watching football, which it has stopped us from doing so.  I see no other option but to switch back to our old package or leave because we were misled into changing to this Unlimited package.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As you were advised the package you've moved to *should* perform the same or better than your previous one. The upload cap occurs due to a peculiarity of Plusnet's systems but a call to the CSC *should* have got that fixed. Clearly it didn't but the Digital Care Team staff should be here again on Monday to resolve that problem.
The inability to stream football is indicative of a fault that might have occurred anyway, the package change could just be coincidence. Again the Digital Care Team staff should be able to help resolve this.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: stevenb
I think the problem is traffic prioritisation which I don't think we had on our old package, but I could be wrong.

All Plusnet packages have traffic prioritisation and have had for a very long time. All packages except the current Unlimited package also have download rate limits for at least part of the day.
stevenb
Grafter

Spoke to tech support again today seems footy is now working ok fingers crossed,  just waiting for my upload speed to be increased now so me and my son can both play xbox live at the same time.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That's good news. Smiley
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Glad to see that's sorted for you. I've also checked on the uncap order and that's looks to be going through fine.
I can't see any issues that would have stopped you streaming and the unlimited product that you're now on should improve your experience if anything.
I've also placed a SNR reset on your line which has now been implemented and should give you a bit extra speed.
picbits
Rising Star

Chris - when certain issues like this happened before, it was because the PN speed profile was higher than the actual attained line speed which seemed to confuddle things. Worth looking at if the problem persists.
Fingers crossed the problem is sorted though Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I have seen that, it's certainly not the case here though.