Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee internet security and webuser magazine

thisoldman
Grafter

Re: Mcafee internet security and webuser magazine

update  4

I have now spoken to a sen exec at mcafee uk .
They are now studying the webuser mag report and are going to have "strong words" with webuser mag. They will contact me as a matter of urgency, about their chat with webuser mag.
i will keep yopu all posted
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Very interesting thanks for keeping us all updated thisoldman Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thisoldman
Grafter

it  no problem  i was shocked to read the webuser report and  to haear initially what mcafee said.
i just hate hearing 2 versions of the same story. I asked mcafee how webuser could get mcafee to fail 6 virus tests and mcafee said that pure rubbish.
Now the alarm bells are ringing big time with mcafee and they have promised a high level investigation and they have asked me not to write to webuser till they have done more investigations.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

So are you going to do as they ask,  or write to webuser in the meantime.?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thisoldman
Grafter

i have already as i said , spoken to andy at webuser and as mcafee have promised to email me as soon as their meeting has finished this afternoon, i shall wait to see what trnspires before i take up webusers invitation to respond.

Fortunatelky for me i use textrelay fone service and as all calls are recorded there is no way any of the silly beggars can challenge the veracity of what each other have told me.
lol lol  maybe one of them will give me a free lifetime subscription or 10k to shut up lol lol
in the meantime i still feel plusnet has a moral duty to advise us as to whether it is safe to continue using mcafee in the light of the adverse tests.
thisoldman
Grafter

lol    this is getting farcical          now dell have entered the arena
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

They ship their systems with Mcafree installed, what have they had to say

Regards
Mike

thisoldman
Grafter

as i am not a dell user they are taking the matter up with mcafee in private,
Still no response from plusnet to this farce
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's not quite true as Adam *has* replied to you earlier.
We're by no means forcing anyone's hand to use Mcafee. It's a simple case of if you don't like it don't use it.

McAfee is an option for customers to use, if you don't want to use it or you want to use an alternate AV package then feel free to do so.
Also it's worth remembering that this is 1 report, there is another one here which says that
McAfee had generally good results this year, especially in the PUA Test and Performance Test.
(page 47 of the summary report 2010 pdf).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
thisoldman
Grafter

ok chris  what i should have asked was      "what is plusnet,s      view on the webuser report. Most of us are not able to assess antivirus software, so it would be nice/helpful if some expert from plusnet  was able to comment on the webuser statement that mcafee was unsafe and not to be used
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

My view is that it's 1 report with others available that have different results. There are always likely to be differing reports based on who runs the tests, who they are running them for etc.
Ultimately it's the customers decision what AV product they use, personally I have McAfee on the machine I'm currently using and Avira on another one.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
thisoldman
Grafter

txs for that chris
its all making me very disillusioned with  mags software etcetc
im beginning to rue the day i ever got involved with the internet
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris

McAfee is an option for customers to use, if you don't want to use it or you want to use an alternate AV package then feel free to do so.

Most none technical customers will take it because PN are advertising it to them, and  will probably think if my ISP recommends it to me then it must be good and i should have it.
I doubt the none technical customer will be able to determine whether the security installed is any good. They will just think they are now fully protected as they have security installed.
Regards
Mike

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Let's get a few basics on the table
1. No antivirus solution will pick up everything
2. McAfee, although, in my opinion, not in the first rank is still a reasonable product and by no means the worst on the market
3. A single test, I assume by Dennis Labs, doesn't prove anything specially as that testing company normally use very few samples. You need to look at in depth tests over a period. The two most reputable testing organisations are AV-Comparatives and AV-Test
4. Making that judgement on failing to pick up 6 viruses or trojans very clearly indicates that there were very few pieces of malware in the test set. As a comparison AV-Comparatives in their pro-active test uses in excess of 20,000 new samples
5. Although, as I said, McAfee isn't the best in the AV Comparatives - On Demand Comparative in August 2010 test McAfee caught 99.4% of over 900,000 samples. Where McAfee appears to be weak is where the Cloud Technology is stopped (no internet connection) or where you are relying on heuristics.
Finally in my opinion this product is not unsafe to use even though others are a little better
thisoldman
Grafter

dear mike this is getting like an on line chat show with you. better than im

txs for your replies    all i can say legally at the moment is that a big big fight   better than the rumble in da jungle is now taking place between webuser and mcafee with dell in the corner, and plusnet sitting in the audience 200 feet away eating popcorn and yawning
lol