cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee internet security and webuser magazine

thisoldman
Grafter

Mcafee internet security and webuser magazine

In the current issue of webuser mag they have tested 14  internet security suites.
Mcafee came bottom of all tests.  webuser says    " you can have as m,any features as you like in a security suite, but if it doesent stop viruses , you mkight as well not bother. Mcafees software proved to be the least effective when it came to stopping viruses"
I emailed Mcafee to get their comments/reaction and so far im still waiting.
Trend and but defender came out best in thier tests.  http://www.webuser.co.uk
35 REPLIES 35
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Mcafee internet security and webuser magazine

Thanks for flagging this up thisoldman. Let us know if you do hear anything back from Mcafee.
Would you care to share with us what you asked/said in your e-mail?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
thisoldman
Grafter

surre  just for you adam.  I told them i was concerned to read such a bad review from a respected uk computer mag and asked them for their comments on the review.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ta,
I'm sure it will be interesting to see how their comments square up against customer the kind of feedback we are seeing on community.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
thisoldman
Grafter

can you tellme the average feedback you are getting and i will email mcafee. btw  dell users are reporting adverse  feedback on some forums althoughj they have a slightly different version of the internet suite
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

thisoldman,
Community is our main way of collating feedback re this. We don't really have any firm stats to give you other than what you can gather from reading the relevant threads on here. So in other words we don't really know anything in terms of feedback that can't be gleamed from this forum.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
thisoldman
Grafter

ok txs adam ill send the posts to mcafee
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The report isn't listed on the website but can you advise who carried out the testing as the reported results are very surprising.
Trend Micro got an appalling result on http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/retrospective-test for the August Test and weren't subsequently tested because of it.
Bitdefender also isn't top in any of the tests
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

In a recent Computer Shopper (Issue 276 Feb 2011) group test of 14 packages McAfee achieved the lowest basic malware protection and came either bottom or next to bottom in the other tests...not good.
Interestingly Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2011 was voted top in all tests and given a Best Buy award with AVG Free Edition given a Best Budget Buy award.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
thisoldman
Grafter

oldjim iv no idea i just bought this weeks mag read the article etc etc. Webuser dont  seem to allow one to read articles unless you have paid to read on line.
im sure you can afford  the cost of the mag
thisoldman
Grafter

Update on mcafee and webuser magazine tests

After 3 days delay mcafee sent an email saying they had raised a support ticket, so this am i used their online chat facility and demanded to chat to a senior executive.
I told him exactly what webuser magazine had printed in issue 257 13 jan and that webuser were saying mcafee did not do the job and  had let in 6 test viruses.
He was shocked. 
AT first he claimed that webuser was degrading mcafee simply to promote a rival product, then he said that mcafee was perfectly safe and all i had told him was simply webuser magazine'sopinion.
I asked him have you read the test review as it is shocking. There was a long long pause and when he came back he said he too was shocked and that mcafe would be taking up the matter formally with webuser magazine.
He reiterated that mcafee was workingok and was safe and thanked me for informing them.
thats all i can tell you adam.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Update on mcafee and webuser magazine tests

A bit of digging would tend to suggest that the test was done by Dennis Labs for Webuser http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?s=e41e04ed2318c7766aaf64be6cf7b277&p=901636&postcount=4 and in which case the result is even more surprising given these results by Dennis Labs in the recent past http://www.dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/symantec/DTL_PCVP2011_SYMC.pdf (this was paid for by Symantec so the results need to be treated with a bit of caution).
However, although McAfee weren't good neither Bitdefender nor Trend were in the first flight
thisoldman
Grafter

update 3

I have spoken to andy shaw editorial of webuser mag and told him what mcafee told me.
He said their tests were done to the highest professional standards and he will rebute any criticism that mcafee may care to make.
He said and this was recorded by  textrelay    " if i were you i would stop using mcafee intenet suite as it does not do the job of protecting you from viruses.
He has invited me to write a long detailed letter to the mag for immediate publication.
He also pointed out exactly what oldjim has said , that other mags gave mcafee a bad report.
So....should i  and othe plus net users immediately stop using mcafee and will plusnet now advise us what to use instead.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

So....should i  and othe plus net users immediately stop using mcafee and will plusnet now advise us what to use instead.

I'm sure our customers would prefer to make their own educated choice about which Antivirus they would like to use and I'm sure the majority are more than capable of coming to their own conclusions. We're by no means forcing anyone's hand to use Mcafee. It's a simple case of if you don't like it don't use it. On the other hand it is in our interest to provide the best services we can so believe me when I say that all the feedback re this is being taken on board.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

I'm sure our customers would prefer to make their own educated choice about which Antivirus they would like to use and I'm sure the majority are more than capable of coming to their own conclusions.

I could not disagree more :), in my experience  i think most would know if they had an anti virus / internet security installed, and would assume they are fully protected, but would not know if it was any good or how it should perform, therefore unable to make an educated choice.
If anyone is looking for a highly rated anti virus then i would recommend Avast which is free, and can be downloaded from here;
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html
A very high rated anti malware scanner is Malwarebytes free version
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;content...
For a solid firewall either
Zonealarm free http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm-Free-Firewall/3000-10435_4-10039884.html?tag=mncol;1
Online Armor free  http://download.cnet.com/Online-Armor-Firewall/3000-10435_4-10426782.html?tag=mncol;1
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.