Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee brand to go - how will this affect Plusnet Protect

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

McAfee brand to go - how will this affect Plusnet Protect

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/07/intel_ditches_mcafee_brand/
CES2014 Intel has announced plans to phase out the infamous McAfee anti-virus brand over the next year in favour of a new Intel Security brand.
The re-branding will begin immediately, but the transition will take up to a year before it is complete with the introduction of new versions of security software products from the technology giant. The shield – which represents the core values of security and protection - will remain and McAfee will continue to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel, albeit under the Intel Security umbrella.

Can we have a poll on which one should replace it
12 REPLIES 12
TORPC
Grafter

Re: McAfee brand to go - how will this affect Plusnet Protect

On the ball as always, cheers for the heads up, although I never use Mcrapper software, it's nice to be kept up to date
Devonian
Grafter

I always found Macafe to work perfectly.  Huh
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Although it has been a few years, when I used to work for Ed council, the AV was McAfee. Certainly 100% better than Norton which just used to slow the pc to point is was useless. But not having used any AV product for years now I can't say it bothers me  Grin
I tried the free version on my VIRTUAL xp which gets booted every year or so but not really needed.  Tongue
BRABUS
Grafter

Personally I do like Norton.  I agree with what people say about it being slow, it used to be, but they seem to have got their act together in recent versions and it is much, much better.  Using mcAfee on my works pc I would have to say that mcafee is now slower than norton so go figure. 
It's like fashion, everything has it's day and then comes back again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

MSE is not going to be any use for XP users come April - so what do people recommend?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

No problems here with Avast free (though some seem to have issues with it).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I recommend Kaspersky but then again it isn't free
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I would recommend,
Free: Avast
Paid: Bitdefender Internet Security
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deathtrap
Grafter

I've used Eset smart security for the past few yrs In the past i have used Bit defender and avast , Panda, Kaspersky( free trial)  Eset is better than all of them, doesn't slow the pc to a crawl and offers good protection
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought it was just the brand name that's changing, so it would be
Plusnet Protect (powered by McAfee)
changing to
Plusnet Protect (powered by Intel Security)
hooverman
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

having used mcafee for many years then finding what a waste of space it was ,was a great disappointment  ,its the sort of software supplied is cornflakes packet , I now use bitdefender which has a high rating ,Mcafee unlike norton failed to improve and modernise ,and is going the way of the dodo ,hopefully plusnet will check out some anti virus sites and get something which actually works
TLE
Grafter

I spent years running my own support company and always found McAfee a waste of space. Whenever I was called out to do a malware removal I could pretty much guess before I got there that it would either have McAfee or Norton installed. They were absolutely rubbish at dealing will zero day malware and fake AV or support programs. I personally always recommended Kaspersky if they had a fast PC, and Avast for those with slower PC's.
For those that wanted a cheap solution I used to go for Avast free offering and a lifetime licence for SuperAntiSpyware.