cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major fibre broadband installation fail - plusnet

bluegunk
Grafter

Re: Major fibre broadband installation fail - plusnet

Yes, a newly installed cabinet is close by and I have the number of it. My line checks out at all three checks and on OpenReach too. There's only the one for our road. I don't know exactly where it is, I suspect it is just outside the exchange in the exchange yard which backs onto our road, but I can't saunter in there. As I say I can just about hit the exchange with a well aimed router!  I wouldn't worry at the moment - this whole blunder is caused by an OpenReach  manager. The engineer was (ahem) not too happy with him. But the engineer (who knows where all the stuff is) says it should not be difficult to pull a fresh line through and hook it up to the cabinet. We'll see.
dick:quote
Estragon
Rising Star

Great :). Good luck - it should happen!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I don't want to be pessimissic but
Good luck - it should/might/'will in the fullness of time'/'will when hell freezes over' happen!
This is Openreach we're talking about Grin
Seriously though, on the optimistic front, it does sound like you got a good engineer, and may actually have a cabinet, it's just whether he can get the OR management & systems to do something about it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluegunk
Grafter

I don't hold my breath, but the cabinet and exchange are close, and he seemed to think it could be done. We'll see.
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

but the cabinet and exchange are close
Distance isn't really a factor. What's important is whether the EO lines have already been/or OR are willing to reroute the lines through a PCP cabinet outside the exchange. Our office was on an EO line when FTTC became available, we've noticed recently that it's now available for us so OR must have rerouted at least some of the lines. It really depends on what take up of FTTC they would expect for the EO lines. In our case I guess there are quite a few business lines involved and so they obviously thought it financially lucrative to do the work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluegunk
Grafter

From reading their strategy plans on their web site, my understanding is OpenReach's slightly longer-term plan (i.e. near future) is to migrate the exchange direct lines over to FTTC. They aren't doing it immediately because it's not as straightforward as the cabinet approach, requiring work within the exchanges rather than outside it. (Or something to that effect). I read there is some variation of set-ups within the different exchanges as well, so it's not standard.
Anyhow we'll see, and I will appreciate it very much if PlusNet and OpenReach can resolve my installation, even if it means trailing a wire around the gutters in our road!   Smiley
adie:quote
bluegunk
Grafter

Oh dear. This case is slipping into one of "those" OpenReach dead ends where it circles around with Open Exceptions and Bridge Cases until the four horsemen of the Apocalypse appear.    Cry
The latest I have is:
Bridge case: BV399308.
KCI-D not generated on systems.
Does anyone in PlusNet know if this installation is going to happen? I know it is Openreach's fault for telling everyone our exchange-only line was not an exchange-only line.
My daughter is a student photographer and also photographs rock bands. We've intermittent to zero broadband and she can't get her photos out to her requesters.
I know PlusNet are battling with Openreach, but I'd love some broadband in the meantime, or someone to kick BT / Openreach.
AndyH
Grafter

The problem is it's not so simple to move a line over from EO to a cabinet. It might seem simple, but in fact it can be quite complicated and there is no specific path for an ISP to request a line to be moved from EO to PCP.
The bridge cases will be for Openreach to check and update their records regarding your line.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Really sorry to see the state of your order at the moment, you have been unfortunate. I don't think the agent couldn't have chased or explained the situation any better than I could.
The engineer's notes looked encouraging for future provision, but unfortunately we're very limited in what we can do to speed up the issue at the moment.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
bluegunk
Grafter

I understand there are issues on this and I do thank the staff for their efforts.
But my frustration is we have virtually zero broadband right now (intermittent signal and around 0.7MBs!). Is there any chance of some temporary restoration of the original service for our home in the meantime?
bluegunk
Grafter

I'm now delayed to 22 July with a potential installation date of 27 July onwards.  The below is what I replied on my open ticket while supplying some new dates for installation to the support team:
"I am very worried that, come 22 July there will be some new kind of "Open Exception", "Bridge Case" or some other device that will prevent OpenReach from relocating our service.
In the meantime this is taking so long, I would like our old service re-established until the day the Fibre is installed. I'm paying for virtually zero service. I can't download Windows Updates, and my daughter's photography work is crippled. I know this is not PlusNet's fault, but if you can give me some service back on our line for the time being it would be appreciated.
An alternative might be to cancel the whole Fibre upgrade and return to the previous service?"

Do you think it is better to cancel this upgrade, PlusNet?  I read about one person on these forums who went over 11 weeks with no broadband when his order went around in circles at OpenReach with these Exceptions...!    Shocked
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

In honesty, I think we should wait until this resolution date and make a decision from there. Either way we will refund the time with the poor service as a minimum (though I know you'd prefer it to be working). We may be able to get the Friday before that, dependent on engineer lead times. I'll have a look for you on the 22nd.
Matty
bluegunk
Grafter

OK, cheers Matty!  23 and 24 July are can-do dates for me if necessary.
bluegunk
Grafter

We've a new fitting date of 24 July!  I hope OpenReach knew what they have to do! (Pull a line through and connect to the Cabinet...)  gulp.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let us know how you get on tomorrow!