cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Restricted to 1 GB You Have Cleared Out my Email Box Again!!!!

cheryl

Mailbox Restricted to 1 GB You Have Cleared Out my Email Box Again!!!!

What kind of service is this if you have a Google it's 15 GB Yahoo 30 GB my wife has 30,000 emails!  
AAAAAGGGHH  YOU HAVE CLEARED OUT MY EMAIL BOX AGAIN!!!! You are forcing me to leave Pusnet -
You sent me a notice and then cleared out 4,000 of my email 5 days before the 30 day deadline leaving 2,000 emails and then friday the 12th have cleared my email data out totallly   AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHH !!!!  what are you doing ???!!!
before you clear out someones property! That data is my property! you are throwing away my property - I need that data!
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) All caps title edited as per forum rule.
14 REPLIES 14
Wrighty11
Grafter

Re: MAILBOX Restricted to 1 GB YOU HAVE CLEARED OUT MY EMAIL BOX AGAIN!!!!

Hi there,
I've had a look and I can see that a member of our team has been in touch with you regarding this matter.
Sadly we don't seem to have archived your mail so we have no way of restoring your mail. I am really sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Mailbox Restricted to 1 GB You Have Cleared Out my Email Box Again!!!!

Hi Cheryl,
Welcome to the forums, your frustrations are understandable, even if a little inaccurate and slightly unreasonable.
Yes other providers do offer much larger email storage capacity, but that is what THEIR business is about.  You have to ask why do Google offer such large storage volumes?  Some suggest it is because they want to index your data... for whatever reasons.
PlusNet email "abuse" emails follow this pattern...
You get an email to advise that you have exceed the allowance - you have 7 days to rectify the matter
If after 7 days you have not brought your storage to under the allowance, you get another 7 day warning
If after that you still have not sorted matters, the email is achieved (removed from the server) and can on request within 30 days be restored, thereby allowing you to manage matters.
I know this to be the case as I have had to manage this process recently for one of my aged referrals.
We rather expect limitless pits to be provided free of charge... so that we do not need to bother about doing any house keeping.
I was going to comment about the PlusNet email being a free add on so just what do you expect for free... then I recalled a recent commercial hosting package I set up for a client.  Their PAID FOR email hosting is limited to 1GB.  This seems to be the normal for SOHO SME offerings ... except where the provider has some interest in the content.
Given anyone can obtain a Gmail account, you could get one of them - there is no need for...
Quote from: cheryl
You are forcing me to leave Pusnet -

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Empirical
Grafter

I would never use the email provided by my ISP for the simple reason that should I switch I would lose the account and have to change my details on a zillion places on the net.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Or equally get one's own domain name.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

All4One
Grafter

I think I stopped using ISP email after I left my first ISP, Supanet.
mikko
Grafter

I was using Metronet's email 10 years ago, but never used an ISP's since.
Now using gmail (since 2006) which says "You're currently using 4795 MB (31%) of your 15360 MB"
kelvin
Grafter

Why not use an email client so that all mails can be downloaded and stored on your pc/laptop/tablet.
x47c
Grafter

Never ever entrust sole storage to a repository outside your control.
So yes, at some point download emails to a email client and backup the file.
Also factor in that at some point you might loose access to your free Hotmail/Gmail account and be unable to recover it though one of the password recovery processes and then your emails will be equally lost for ever....seen this sort of thing on the MSE techie sub-forum.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

The op only ever posted the one rant and hasn't been back since  Sad
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: kelvin
Why not use an email client so that all mails can be downloaded and stored on your pc/laptop/tablet.

If for no other reason (these days) people want to access their email from multiple devices.  That requires IMAP functionality which by default leaves email on the server.  People doing this need to proactively manage their email.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@townman. Then perhaps IMAP is ill conceived  Roll_eyes
I for one have my multiple devices configured using POP for this very reason, although I started before IMAP was available. My emails stay on the server for one month and are then deleted. In that time everything is  downloaded to a desktop by Outlook.  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Peter,
I'm not sure if your are being mischievous!?
POP does not facilitate having all sent email in one place - it remains on the device which sent it, which makes keeping everything together rather difficult!
I would not say that IMAP is ill conceived, rather one needs to think a little more about housekeeping, as it leaves the user in complete control of what happens - by default.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Having tried to set up PN's own email after moving from BT we gave up in disgust and stayed with BT.  I do have a gmail account but nothing is under my real name. It seems a very good system as long as you don't mind having your data mined for advertising leads by goodness knows who.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Longliner,
Your point about data mining in Gmail is well made and I suspect not overly well known.
What issues did you have with PN mail - its not particularly different to what is available elsewhere, unless you are thinking about the few ISPs who offer SSL authentication.