cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost money due to deceptive web page design in 'Change Product'

bin
Aspiring Pro

Lost money due to deceptive web page design in 'Change Product'

Beginning of February I decided that I no longer need my Anytime calls package as PN mobile seems to be working OK for most of the time Wink

After a couple of online chats I went through the product change site.

My first concern was that I have to click a box agreeing to transfer my broadband service....I was assured that this was just an error and that it was going to be updated. Anyhoo, went through wizard, remove Anytime and got to confirmation screen showing new date and amount of new d/d.

At the bottom of that screen there's a button that says Pay Now. Well, I don't think that applies as I'm not paying anything now and it shows my new d/d details so I ignore that and close the session

February bill has just arrived - call package charge is still there.

Go back to my account and sure enough it hasn't changed.

Run through wizard again and this time click Pay Now and sure enough it seems to have changed.

Now, I have no proof that my first attempt ever took place, and I'm sure that PN will argue that of course I should have known that Pay Now actually means I confirm I want to make this change - May be - you know something like 'Confirm Change' on that button would be a little more intuitive.

OK so it's only £6.50 and I'm sure I'm to blame because I should have second guessed a rubbish/idiot web designer - I just hope I can save someone else from the same mistake.Ticked_off

5 REPLIES 5
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Lost money due to deceptive web page design in 'Change Product'

Thanks for posting this bin.

We're also on the anytime plan, actually the newer version that costs around £8 give or take (the way it's all formatted, we can't make head nor tail of it). We have been contemplating doing away with this service (we never ever call mobiles from our landline so why they add this by default and charge more if anyone's guess) and for sure having read what hassle you've had, we'd sooner have to endure their phone system should we decide to downgrade to line rental only. Again since reading I will insist that email confirmation is sent either during or after the call.

From how it sounds, that page is written as if you/we are upgrading but surely if that was the case nobody pays immediately do we? I'd have thought it was simply added to the monthly bill....Undecided

bin
Aspiring Pro

To be honest it was a bit of a toss up which was the best way to go.

The Anytime plan was more than sufficient for the few calls that we do make, until you factor in calls to the younger family members most of whom don't have landlines. That very quickly hikes the monthly bill. The inclusive mobile minutes plan at £8.00 is therefore a very attractive deal since it would have saved us money.

However, we both have mobiles as you do these days. We're in a bit of a notspot and a couple of years back 3 provided me with a signal booster box. So it made sense to take advantage of a good data deal they were offering as mobile data is important if we're off on our travels. At the same time PN were promoting their new mobile deal. For some bizarre reason we can actually get a better EE signal - which shouldn't be the case - than Vodafone for who we should have been getting 100% 2g coverage. Again for traveling purposes I don't want all my eggs in the 3 basket as they have no 2g fallback. So, jumping ship to PN/EE plus upgrading my 3 package resulted in total outgoings on mobile getting a bit more than I really wanted. However by dropping the Anytime calls I am actually net better off and have some flexibility with mobile.

The process for updating my account was actually not difficult. First online chat to cover a couple of questions, then another part way through when I came across the odd tick box saying I had to agree to transfer my broadband service. That aside it's a few clicks and it's done so if you're planning on dropping the plan then go ahead.

Just make sure you click the Pay Now button on the final screen where your new direct debit details are shown and the email arrives in seconds.

What I am grumpy about is that the process has two completely nonsense steps - one of which has carried a financial penalty through gross bad / misleading design which I feel borders on deceitful. However I accept that is through stupidity on the part of the designer for not making intention/purpose clear and the user for not second guessing the designer.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

As odd as it appears to be set out, possibly it's just an old leftover that needs a tweak....

....possibly something @jaread83 could send some feedback back on to the correct team that deals with this...?

(no guarantees he'll read this, but harm in trying ;))

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have raised this internally to be looked into.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Chrome
Dabbler

This is not feedback, this is a warning to customers!

(Should not have been moved)