cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like its time to move to another provider

Bud
Grafter

Looks like its time to move to another provider

So, Since December neighbours have been enjoying download speeds in excess of 12 meg and uploads nearer 1meg since LLU went in the local exchange.  Since finding out what one of them are paying for unlimited broadband with this higher upload rate (which I have to pay to get an upload rate nearer since BT don't do ADSL2 here) I was shocked to find its half of what I am paying plusnet a month (PlusNet is approx. 50 quid a month with line rental, call package, max premium) and they are paying less than 21 pounds a month for broadband, line rental, call package.  I had a look as a new customer with their provider at it comes up at 25 pounds a month for a similar package.
I called up to see if plusnet could do anything as I have been a customer from the year plusnet started (not with the account my broadband is on) and basically was told the max premium was bumping my bill up.  I mentioned that I could move provider and get the faster upload speeds as standard but was told it wasn't possible for any provider to give better options as there was no LLU or ADSL2 at the exchange.  There is at least 1 LLU operator at the exchange here, but I was told samknows says there isn't so there isn't.
The best that the leaving team could do was knock a fiver off a month so I would still be paying 20 pounds a month more so I was told I would get my MAC code in 5 days time,  what I will lose in my prepaid line rental will be saved with in 2 months on another provider.
13 REPLIES 13
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Looks like its time to move to another provider

Hope that your new ISP provides a good service. It's always great to be able to save some cash.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Bud,
Sorry to hear that you're leaving us for another provider however it sounds like you've hit on a deal where LLU is now available at your local exchange.
It seems that your exchange is still classified as Market 1 which means that the wholesale costs aren't allowed to drop below a certain cost, ultimately this means we end up paying a premium proce to provide you with the service and this then restricts the level of discount we can provide.
With any hope we should see this exchange move to Market 3 over time now that interest has been shown in getting the LLU equipment up and running. This should then allow us to provide you with a better deal but in the meantime it means our proverbial hands are tied  Sad
If you do decide to make the switch we'll be sorry to see you go but we would be more than happy to see you return again in the future should the exchange details change.
Bud
Grafter

I really cant ignore a 25 pound a month difference and have found another deal similar at a very similar price as well.
I was told on the phone call I wouldn't get the increased upload elsewhere but when its included as standard instead of an extra 8 pounds a month it makes a big difference.
I may have considered the discount offered more if it hadn't been for the fact that the agent was adamant that the other provider isn't available in my area.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again Bud,
The checker that we use internally doesn't show any LLU services present at the moment but if this is a relatively recent update then the checker may be due an update shortly.
I really wish we would have been able to do something for you regarding this but as you mention, the additional upload add on for the ADSL Max service is rather pricey so this adds an additional level of cost on top of the Market 1 pricing. Had the exchange been ADSL2+ enabled then we would have been able to eradicate the £8 along with the discount you were offered but this is quite a unique circumstance to be in when LLU is available, there is no ADSL2+ and the exchange is Market 1  Undecided
Bud
Grafter

I can understand how you cant compete due to the circumstances.
LLU has been available since December 2013 so I don't know why the data hasn't updated.  But BT have no interest in upgrading the exchange here and are dragging their heals with fibre (2016 is now the latest estimate whilst another exchange here has been brought forward to this year and they have ADS2+ as well to rub salt into the wound!).
What happens with my referals when I go?  I take it I will no longer get them.
avatastic
Grafter

If you convert your account to a keep-my-mail-please for a couple of quid a year (or was it month) account you should still accrue your referrals and PN will credit your bank account once it hits multiples of £5, as I understand it.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

avatastic beat me to it!  Cheesy
Just make sure that you speak with the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 before you leave so that they can arrange to downgrade the account instead of allowing the automated system to close it down once the transfer away completes.
Bud
Grafter

MAC arrived this morning Thank you.  Reading the associated email has rubbed further salt into the wound with the following mentioned
In addition our team will be happy to offer you a price or contract that will compete with any offers from other providers
which sadly isn't the case and is actually rather insulting considering I know of other plusnet users on the same exchange being offered far better deals than I was and not having to commit to a 2 year contract either!
Bud
Grafter

And as I was just about to place the order with another ISP another spanner has been thrown in the works with the announcement this morning that fibre is to be available from my exchange in December this year instead of December 2015.
The other factor though with having a direct line to the exchange is will I able to get fibre or not....
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You can't get FTTC with a direct exchange line and sadly those dates have been known to slip Sad
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Whether the advent of fibre changes your position with regard to getting BT's ADSL2+ I don't know.
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
You can't get FTTC with a direct exchange line and sadly those dates have been known to slip Sad

That I know, but there are a large amount of direct lines on the exchange so I would think they will have to do something to make it worthwhile the upgrade.
avatastic
Grafter

I used to have a direct exchange line.
Then they installed an old-style cab outside the exchange, and a few weeks later a FTTC cab was placed next to it.
I'm still waiting for my go-live (but according to the BT checker I can now get Fibre multicast but no fibre service).
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)