cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term customer, 5y plus, lost faith.

tumilty

Long term customer, 5y plus, lost faith.

I have been a customer of plusnet for over 5 years now, I have never missed a payment to them and have spent a total of over £1300 pounds with them for broadband services. In the past I have recommended them to family & friends, even my work took up their services after my recommendation.
I have always been really impressed with their support and services. Until this year that is.
I have had an intermittent problem with my phone line, every time there are high winds (i have a long line in the country) I loose my broadband sync, and the DLM reduces me to a pathetic line speed of 300kbps. This happened again last Sunday, after using the on-line help assistant, an engineer calls two days later, to lecture me about how broadband works, and then tell me that I have to test a new router in the master socket. This was fine the first time however I have been through this procedure on more than one occasion this year, every time it is simply left until the line has been stable enough to up the ip profile again, then I get a call saying everything is ok and the tickets are closed. I have spent a year trying to get plus net to sort this problem now.
All that I want when I am called by a technical support operator, is to be told they we are sorry you are having problems, this is what we have done to try and fix it, could you do x and y to help our investigations and we will take it from there. Every time I have reported this all I have got is a lecture about how DLM works followed by a statement that it is probably my internal wiring or equipment, despite this happening in high winds every time. I don't want to be made to feel like an idiot every time I place a ticket. I am quite a technically capable person, both in experience and qualifications. 
Well I think it is time to move my broadband service straight to the original provider bt. I will be capped to 40GB but I can't download to that much in a month anyway. Plus I will save a few pounds a month. I can not see why I pay £21.99 a month for a service that it is acceptable to my supplier to be running at 300kbps. If I happened to live in the city I would be receiving well over my maximum of 2000kbps but would be paying the same. Anyway that will be the same wherever I go and is a completely different problem.
MAC code tomorrow morning I think.
8 REPLIES 8
Spider
Grafter

Re: Long term customer, 5y plus, lost faith.

A word of warning.... you may not be happy with Plusnet's support but I think you will come to hate BTs. A  friend is currently with them and currently due to ongoing problem their best speed is 130Kbs. This problem as been ongoing for a couple of months and so very few of the call centre staff spoken to actually do what they say they are going to and that includes the complaints department.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: tumilty
Well I think it is time to move my broadband service straight to the original provider bt.

Plusnet buy the service from BT Wholesale. If you move back to BT it will be to BT Retail. The lines of communication between BT Retail and BT Wholesale are exactly the same as those between Plusnet and BT Wholesale (OFCOM rules prohibit BT Retail getting any preferential treatment and they monitor that very closely).
You may of course find that with BT you have the advantage of dealing with an Indian call centre!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: tumilty
Well I think it is time to move my broadband service straight to the original provider bt. I will be capped to 40GB but I can't download to that much in a month anyway. Plus I will save a few pounds a month. I can not see why I pay £21.99 a month for a service that it is acceptable to my supplier to be running at 300kbps. If I happened to live in the city I would be receiving well over my maximum of 2000kbps but would be paying the same. Anyway that will be the same wherever I go and is a completely different problem.

Also have you reviewed your package lately, there may be a cheaper one for you?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tumility,
Adiewoo is right, it may be that one of the newer packages would be better for you and certainly cheaper - if you give them a look over you're welcome to try one for a month and if you don't like it I can arrange for you to go back onto your existing legacy package if you like.
Before that though we should investigate your fault for you - have you tested another router in the master (or test) socket, and found the fault still apparent? If you have let me know and I'll make sure your fault gets raised to BT for investigation today. I'm sorry you don't feel happy with the service you've been provided so far.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Matt,
I'm not sure how using the test socket is going to improve things when the problem is dropped connections when it gets windy!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks once again jelv, and sorry I missed that tumility - I'll get your line tested now and see where we go from there. There'll be an update shortly.
atbs1
Grafter

@ tumility: if you move to another supplier they will be using the same line as now = the problem will re-occur.
gswindale
Grafter

It is clear that the solution is for the line to be moved and placed underground rather than on a dangly cable.
I don't think anybody is likely to be doing that for you though unless you can prove it interrupts voice calls.
Do you have any neighbours nearby who have the same issue?