Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental charges, really?

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Line rental charges, really?

A contentious issue?

Not for me actually but certainly one that ISP's need to start thinking seriously about.

Sure Vodafone are a little ambiguous about this but it's the way forward guy's that's for sure, so time to stop the con and time to combine the two charges Plusnet because if Vodafone can bundle up the line and broadband charge so can you - because others will certainly follow their lead. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37021766

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Line rental charges, really?

This may well be part of the new billing system for all we know, as changes would be needed to any billing in order to implement this.

Minivanman
Legend

And easy enough to do I'd have thought, maybe we should be told if this is on the cards? It's long overdue that's for sure but I guess they are playing a guarded game for the moment.

We'll see.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

what is it you're asking for here?
simply to combine the line rental and broadband charge into one?
or are you really asking for line rental charge to be dropped completely (which is NOT what vodafone are doing).

why would it be advantageous for plusnet to advertise the cost of unlimited fibre extra as £36.98 now when all the other ISPs aren't listing it combined.
Minivanman
Legend

Read my post again?

"......time to combine the two charges"

As to why if would be advantageous I would have thought that was also obvious... as well as not being disingenuous.

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Just to add and put this into perspective, plusnet have refunded me again this month for not being able to provide me with a fully functioning broadband service for the last six months - yet they have charged me full rental on a faulty line that is the cause of not being able to provide that service! 

Is it me, or am I continuing to fall down that rabbit hole into an alternative reality? I just don't get it. 

Herman Melville
chenks76
All Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Read my post again?

"......time to combine the two charges"

As to why if would be advantageous I would have thought that was also obvious... as well as not being disingenuous.

but all it would do at the moment is make their price look more expensive, at a glance, compared to other ISPs.

besides, the thread title is "Line rental charges, really?", so clearly you are suggesting if line rental charges should be there at all, be it combined or not.

chenks76
All Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Just to add and put this into perspective, plusnet have refunded me again this month for not being able to provide me with a fully functioning broadband service for the last six months - yet they have charged me full rental on a faulty line that is the cause of not being able to provide that service! 

Is it me, or am I continuing to fall down that rabbit hole into an alternative reality? I just don't get it. 

i thought you were leaving plusnet anyway?

Minivanman
Legend

I was, sort of (read that post again as well) but they have cut me a good deal on those broadband charges which I accepted on condition that I would still be able to dispute the line charge. 

Just out of curiosity, are you here as some sort of fifth columnist? Only you seem very defensive of some rather dubious (in my view) business practices. 

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Well I guess some read what they want to read.

Sorry if you are easily confused because I do try my best to be clear in my posts. 

Herman Melville
chenks76
All Star

no idea what a "fifth columnist" is.
defensive how? i'm asking you questions about your views, offering an alternate opinion.
or are you only wanting to hear form people that agree with everything you say?

the vodafone thing is a red herring here, they aren't scrapping line rental (much as they love the headlines saying so).
in what way would it be advantageous to plusnet to start listing their price as £37pm for fibre extra, when all the other ISPs aren't listing a combined cost. all it would be is make plusnet look more expensive than the competition.
the combined price will only work when ALL ISPs are forced to do it, which is what will happen soon.

and don't try and play the "must be easily confused" card, it was clear you were suggesting that line rental charges should not exist at all, the thread title and the first two lines of the opening post clearly suggested that was what you really wanted.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

All ISP's with have to list a single price from October anyway.

What Vodafone have done is make it easier to see the total cost and  become the cheapest standard price for fibre ( including line) of any ISP.

Vodafone

38/10 at £25 (£ 22 if already a customer) and 80/20 at £ 28 

PN (market B from Sept 1st including line )

38/2 at £ 31.98 and 80/20 at £ 37.98

PN (market A from Sept 1st including line )

38/2 at £ 39.48  and 80/20 at £ 45.48

PN are just not competitive anymore an market A exchanges , unless your on a heavy discount. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

maybe we should be told if this is on the cards?

It's on the cards.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Minivanman
Legend

As before, we'll leave it there as clearly we are never going to agree on anything.

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Good to hear.

Had it been in place already maybe my particular beef would not have arisen. When is it likely to be implemented? 

Herman Melville