cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Rental Saver disadvantage customer!!!! Nothing you can do with poor service

HenryT

Line Rental Saver disadvantage customer!!!! Nothing you can do with poor service

NEVER USE PLUSNET.
I have joined Plusnet thinking that as it is and "Award winning broadband" as advertised on their web site. So I decided to change my supplier to plusnet.
Since joining Plusnet the broadband speed has been very unstable, you would thought on the same physical phone line there will be no different in quality of service. However I've been with 3 different providers including plusnet, this is the first time I have major problem. The the speed is ranged from 0-4Mb/s, followed every instruction, I was blamed by plusnet it is all my fault (even the setting never been different for over 5 years). I cannot do smooth video conference, VPN work. Contacted technical support at lease 3 times either ask me to follow all the instruction on youtube, reset router, connect wired network or wireless problem (provide by plusnet). I would say none of this are the issue. It is because the QUALITY OF SERVICE from PLUSNET is poor!!!!!! (I do work in the IT field)
With the price increase on 2nd September, I am stuck been ripped off by plusnet with the call charges rise and nothing I can do about it. because as I was told by plusnet, I can only leave by loosing my 8 months remaining line rental saver payment.
Talking to customer support that I will escalate this formally upward, the respond was "If you wish to" and got cut off immediately.
April
Melissa: Good evening, I'm Melissa. How can I help you today?
Me: I have Joined plunet for a month so far
Melissa: Okay
Me: I am not sure if there is a technical fault
Me: with my previous provider, I have no problem in using Facetime (video chat) with my parents oversea
Melissa: Okay
Me: but since joining plusnet, I have find it extremely difficult to establish a stable connection
Me: I have tried to contact other friends, but result is the same
Melissa: Right, let me check into this for you
Melissa: As you've already provided your username, can I take the 3rd & last characters of your password please?
Me:
Melissa: Thank you
Me: occasionally the network tend to be extremely slow, and sometimes it is fine. it is extremely annoying.
Melissa: Okay, please bear with me, I am running testing
Melissa: There are no problems showing on this side
Melissa: Are you using wireless?
Me: Facetime is on wireless.
Melissa: Yes, I meant for any connections
Me: well. playing video and on demand is fine, it is just facetime and chat
Me: I have both wireless and wired
Melissa: Right, that is what I wanted to know
Me: currenlty on wireless
Melissa: Okay, so either there is something in Facetime or a wireless issue
Melissa: We have a great guide to assist you with any wireless issues you may be having, you can view this here
Me: I will try to change the channel, but I use it for Youtube and watching movie over wireless on the same ipad without any problem
Melissa: If this doesn't work then you need to speak to Apple for further help
Me: well its a problem with skype and whatsapp too
Me: which is why I am a little concern
Melissa: Right, well I think the wireless checks are the best route right now
Me: ok, I will check and come back it there are still any issue
Me: thank you
Melissa: Thank you for chatting with us today.  Please click the "End Conversation" button at the top right of your screen to answer a few questions about your experience with myself today. Enjoy the rest of your day.
July
"Hannah: Good afternoon, I'm Hannah. How can I help you today?
Me: I have received an email regarding to call charges increase as of 2nd September, I am currently a customer with Broadband and Line Rental Saver.
Hannah: DO you have a call plan?
Me: no
Hannah: Ok in that case you will not see an increase until your line rental needs to be renewed.
Me: so all call charges increase will not be applicable to me?
Me: I notice Call Set Up Fee, 01, 02, 03, mobile and internal call charges all have an increase as of 2nd September
Hannah: The call charges increase will apply to you.
Me: so I am not happy with that, can I terminate the contract early as indicated on the email, and get part of the saver refunded?
Hannah: If you cancel the line rental saver would not be refunded.
Me: so I just need to accept the price increase? I thought the point of the Line Rental Saver is to proctect against price increase
Hannah: No if you wish you can cancel the line rental saver is there to save you money on your line rental.
Hannah: I haven't heard from you for a while.  Are you still there?
Me: but potentially I am lock into the contract for 12 month and Plusnet can/might increase other associated charges which might disadvanage the customer
Hannah: It is in your terms and conditions that prices can change.
Me: it also indicate on 53 can terminate early. custermoer should also not be charged for service not used
Hannah: It does but the line rental saver is non refundable.
Me: So there nothing you can do here?
Hannah: There isn't
Me: I shall escalate this formally up the chain of the potential disadvantage of the plan.
Hannah: If you wish to.
Hannah: It’s been great chatting to you today. I really appreciate your time and would love to hear any feedback that you might have."
adie:green removed characters from password.
13 REPLIES 13
Blake
Grafter

Re: Line Rental Saver disadvantage customer!!!! Nothing you can do with poor service

I think if you do experience issues over wired also then you should raise this to the second line faults team @ https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
You seem to be going through initial checks but not going passed this point so far.
Also worth bringing up looking in to a new router just incase it's that (unless you have recently had a new one)
Best of luck Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Line Rental Saver disadvantage customer!!!! Nothing you can do with poor service

Hi Henry,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Are you here looking for help from the community, or are you here just to vent?
There can be many causes of apparent slow speed, any thing from an intermittent line fault, wifi issues or local interference.  You did not say who the other ISPs were.  Generally Internet speeds are governed solely by the quality of the phone circuit and the equipment in the exchange, none of which has anything to do with PlusNET beyond they are the route to getting it fixed if it is faulty.  In some ares (due to under investment by BTOR) LLU based Internet providers (Talktalk and Sky etc) can deliver ADSL 2 services, where as ISPs using BT Wholesale products cannot.  Moving from a LLU service to BT WBC services requires physical changes on the line in the exchange, so if that is the case for you, your line is not quite as unchanged as you suggest.
To assist you, needs help from you, by providing factual information.  You can find guidance on addressing speed issues in the speed issues thread - see link below, or raise a broadband fault report.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

monabri
Grafter

Raise a customer complaint not a ticket.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The conversation you had regarding Line Rental Saver is exactly what I would have expected. LRS is non-refundable and a bit of a special case. However, if you involve Ofcom, you may have some joy. Fortunately I think LRS is dying a slow death - the discounts are now very small and the disadvantages outweigh the advantages IMHO.
HenryT

Quote from: Blake
I think if you do experience issues over wired also then you should raise this to the second line faults team @ https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
You seem to be going through initial checks but not going passed this point so far.
Also worth bringing up looking in to a new router just incase it's that (unless you have recently had a new one)
Best of luck Smiley

Hi Blake, Thanks, been through this, the line drops randomly at different time. The router is new and confirmed by plusnet it is not faulty.
Used the link again and see what happen. This is the second time.
Thanks, you've given us all the information we need to investigate your problem
A Ticket has been raised to our Faults Team. We'll contact you as soon as we have more information and let you know what happens next.
In the meantime:
Leave your equipment plugged in and powered up.
Make sure you've given us a contact number we can reach you on (we'll keep you updated about your problem by text message). Contact us if you need to provide a different number.

Quote from: KevinG
The conversation you had regarding Line Rental Saver is exactly what I would have expected. LRS is non-refundable and a bit of a special case. However, if you involve Ofcom, you may have some joy. Fortunately I think LRS is dying a slow death - the discounts are now very small and the disadvantages outweigh the advantages IMHO.

Yes, I am trying to let people to consider the down side, and agree the LRS is dying product.
Quote from: Townman
Hi Henry,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Are you here looking for help from the community, or are you here just to vent?
There can be many causes of apparent slow speed, any thing from an intermittent line fault, wifi issues or local interference.  You did not say who the other ISPs were.  Generally Internet speeds are governed solely by the quality of the phone circuit and the equipment in the exchange, none of which has anything to do with PlusNET beyond they are the route to getting it fixed if it is faulty.  In some ares (due to under investment by BTOR) LLU based Internet providers (Talktalk and Sky etc) can deliver ADSL 2 services, where as ISPs using BT Wholesale products cannot.  Moving from a LLU service to BT WBC services requires physical changes on the line in the exchange, so if that is the case for you, your line is not quite as unchanged as you suggest.
To assist you, needs help from you, by providing factual information.  You can find guidance on addressing speed issues in the speed issues thread - see link below, or raise a broadband fault report.
Kevin

Previous provider were O2 and Sky.
chrcoluk
Grafter

My own point of view is plusnet are wrong to refuse LRS refunds if a customer wants to take their "penalty free" opt out following a price rise.
It seems plusnet think the only prices customers should be protected against is line rental, they believe fees for addons such as caller display etc. as well as call charges are somehow exempt from the guidelines.
A poster on another forum stated she got a refund after ofcom intervened.
If ofcom were intentionally only including line rental I would call that a bit naive from them and only a half hearted regulation.
HenryT

Thank you. I agree totally, it is just a matter of principle. Have you got a link to that post?
adie:quote
Estragon
Rising Star

Link. Plus two further relevant posts by her in response to questions. (If you aren't familiar with those forums and it is in threaded mode, click the "Flat" button towards the top right).
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I do not often go to TBBF, and make no comment about the lady's posts in that thread as such, but I have seen her knuckles somewhat rapped by a Mr Saffron, who looks to be someone very senior.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: KevinG

Agree that the direct discount benefit is slowly vanishing -but if you are on a legacy deal as I am, you still get inclusive calls at evenings and weekends -worth a further ~ £150 pa to me ! Smiley
HenryT

LRS provide an unfair T&C against consumer. I understand people should get locked in for 12 months for a reduced upfront payment. However this should be in the condition that no price changes during the period. Clearly Plusenet is breaking this mutual understanding.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: monabri
Raise a customer complaint not a ticket.

Complaints are for after the proper support process has been followed and not delivered a resolution.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Henry,
Where are you at looking at your line's performance?  Can you please post the router stats.
Given that you were previously with Sky, that might well have been a LLU service.  As I said before, depending upon the facilities at your exchange, there is some possibility that you are now on an inferior BTw 20CN (ADSL1) service.  See here for what is available on your exchange.
Kevin