cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations associated with keeping a mail only account and then wanting to return to Plusnet

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Limitations associated with keeping a mail only account and then wanting to return to Plusnet

Super secure German email service Lavaboom didn't get off the ground.  Lack of funding or more sinister reasons?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Limitations associated with keeping a mail only account and then wanting to return to Plusnet

@chenks76 wrote:
who said anything about being bullet proof
my reasoning for not using an ISP supplied email account is nothing about security.
it's simpy because you're locking yourself into an email account that is linked to you continung to use one particluar ISP.

Yes and thats the same with webmail too - you're locking yourself into one account there too. So you might not lose it by changing ISPs... you can get hacked instead. Thats my point chenks - whatever you do there is a potentially negative consequence.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

They managed it with me, but it did seem to be a hell of a battle with the systems and an awful mess with direct debits and payments that took some insight by a particular member of staff to resolve.

I was on PlusNet ages ago, then left and retained a FREE dial-up account, including email. It was, for me, only a secondary email, but useful nonetheless.

I did have a few referrals so my bank details were also retained and I received payments regularly. In addition I was fairly busy on the forums and recommended PlusNet to many people, though without getting referrals from most.

When I eventually came back staff were most helpful but upgrading my account was a "mission" which was eventually accomplished.

I suspect that this is something that no-one would wish to attempt again with the current admin/accounting systems. Crazy

Please note that the reasons I left were because of technical/service requirements I absolutely needed that PN could not supply at the time; when they could do so I returned.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@7up wrote:

Yes and thats the same with webmail too - you're locking yourself into one account there too. So you might not lose it by changing ISPs... you can get hacked instead. Thats my point chenks - whatever you do there is a potentially negative consequence.

you confusing the matter though, as at no point did i (or anyone else apart from you) mention anything about possibly getting hacked. by using a non-ISP supplied email you're not locking yourself into anything. you can move it at any point you wish. if you change ISP then it has zero affect on the email provider you happen to use.

Anon
Pro

I do use an outside client but I also use Pnet email for some things, but with the appalling state of Pnet's email at present, why would anyone want to use it. I am not surprised they now do not simply grant an email address to new customers, I don't think they dare do that, because they would be giving something that does not work.

I am preparing for when I can leave and now changing out of Pnet email, as and when I find something that runs through them.

Anyone reading, don't sign up for their email or even better to Pnet.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.