cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limitations associated with keeping a mail only account and then wanting to return to Plusnet

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Limitations associated with keeping a mail only account and then wanting to return to Plusnet

This arose because of a response by @HarryB

It would appear that if one wants to leave Plusnet and retain a mail only account then returning to Plusnet the mail only account can't be upgraded to a broadband account

This presumably means, unless a fiddle is applied, that the email only account needs to be retained as a separately charged item even when the customer has returned to Plusnet

Is this something which won't be sorted until the new account system arrives

19 REPLIES 19
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Limitations associated with keeping a mail only account and then wanting to return to Plusnet

I don't think we'd upgrade an old account even after the new system is in place.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Limitations associated with keeping a mail only account and then wanting to return to Plusnet

So basically a downgraded account can't be upgraded again - this has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard and has to be a factor as to whether a customer returns or even whether it is worth taking the option (mail only) for more than a few months/weeks while the replacement email propagates

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

In reality it's going to be an edge case, a lot of customers don't actually take mail now on signup (it's not given by default) so spending time building a way for an old (effectively cancelled broadband account) to reupgrade back to a broadband service isn't really feasible.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

In the past it didn't seem to be a problem downgrading an account to 'dialup' (retaining the email component), and also kept the option to return as a full customer simply by upgrading, so surely something similar ought to be available today?

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

more importantly, who in their right mind would cancel and then choose to pay to keep an email account!
now that has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

me for a start given the hassle in trying to update all the contacts and getting them to use the proper address

chenks76
All Star

well you learned a valuable lesson. never use ISP email accounts
Oldjim
Resting Legend

true but when I started off there wasn't much option

Oldjim
Resting Legend

and looking at this it is even worse than I thought https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Attempting-to-Re-join-Plusnet/m-p/1423491

Sales have said that if I wish to re-join Plusnet I will either have to get a new phone number or cancel my Plusnet e-mail account.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Absolutely ridiculous!  I think I'd at least try and change my personal details so that a different phone number was stored, even a made up one!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Plusnet staff have fake phone numbers they can use to overcome system limitations. I know because they applied one to my account as I'm an FTTP trial user without a phone line. 

So a member of staff could correct the old mail account and use said fake numbers.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN wrote:

... I think I'd at least try and change my personal details so that a different phone number was stored...

That seems to work, as reported in another thread;

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Attempting-to-Re-join-Plusnet/m-p/1424419/highlight/tr...

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@chenks76 wrote:
more importantly, who in their right mind would cancel and then choose to pay to keep an email account!
now that has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Yes but if you need to retain that email address for whatever reason then you've got no choice really have you.

I must admit after the email scandals of years gone by I wouldn't trust PN mail and although I do have an account or two setup, they're used for testing and autonomous purposes only - nothing critical.

As for your comment about not using ISP mail.. I use yahoo webmail. Look how well thats turned out.. you could slate me for that too.. but unless you're going to put forward a bullet proof email option chenks there is little point taking the mick

I suppose we could all take to storing our emails in our DNA.. that would at least mean we can access it wherever we are...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
chenks76
All Star

who said anything about being bullet proof
my reasoning for not using an ISP supplied email account is nothing about security.
it's simpy because you're locking yourself into an email account that is linked to you continung to use one particluar ISP.