cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Like talking to a brick wall!

craigfoxy1
Dabbler

Like talking to a brick wall!

After months of ringing, Twitter messages and being told to download Wireshark?? My problem is still not fixed. I have a average download speed (5.57 Mbps), below average upload speed, (0.40 Mbps) and a upload packet loss of 23% I've rang up other companies and they have said this shouldn't be happening. I've refused to pay my bill for this month as its been happening for a few months i don't understand how people working here can't not fix this problem?
6 REPLIES 6
JohnJ-B
Grafter

Re: Like talking to a brick wall!

Hi, craigfoxy1,
I can understand your frustrations.
However, I would suggest that refusing to pay your Bill is not a sensible approach - as this could adversely affect your Credit Rating!!
Regards,
John
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi craigfoxy1,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with the speed of your connection.
I can't see that you've raised a fault with us, you can raise one at http://faults.plus.net
I've taken a look at your line and I can't see anything from the face of it. If you could complete the Fault Checker as above, we'll get your line looked at, in more detail for you.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi Craigfoxy1,
One can understand the frustration of not being able to get through to support when one has problems, however if followed, the self-help advice provided on these forums can be highly productive in promptly identifying the right course of action to fully resolve issues.
I note that you raised line issues on the forums back in Nov 2013 - 29 Nov 2013 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120711.msg1046573.html#msg1046573 -  Matt Taylor asked you to follow the fault reporter.  What was the result of that activity?  Did it result in a BTOR visit or any improvement delivered by some other means?
You have recently opened a thread on packet loss - 12 Apr 2014 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126042.msg1094906.html#msg1094906 - that is likely to be related to line issues - it is very helpful to only run one thread on issues.
You had a long wait for your line to be installed when you joined PN; your profile locates you somewhere around Liverpool - I'm wondering if there are over loading issues in your locality, which would be beyond PN's ability to fully rectify.
Anyhow, lets see what can be done to help you.  First can you please post your router stats as described here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html - that will give some visibility as to how your line is performing and how it should perform.  It is useful to see those stats in the morning and in the evening after dark  on both dry and wet days.  Note that there are circumstances where a fault may or may not show-up on testing / on inspection at the time of an engineer visit.  This is especially the case where the issues are more predominant in wet weather.
Is there a time when the problem is worse than normal?  Is there noise on the line?  You can listen to the "background" noise on the line by dialling 17070 option two - listen for hiss and crackles.  Any fault with the basic phone line is going to cause havoc with broadband.  If PN provides your voice service as well as your broadband, then PN will be able to manage the whole of the fault rectification process.  If someone else provides the voice service and there is noise on the line, then that other party will need to deal with that issue FIRST.
There is the possibility that there is nothing wrong with your line, rather there is something wrong with your internal wiring (if there is any) or that something completely external to the telephone system is "generating noise" (REIN) into the line.  This can be very difficult to locate and in some cases impossible to eliminate.  Such noise can come from microwaves, central heating system controls, fridges, switch mode power supplies... through to passing electric trains.
Let us hope that you do not have these problems and the request fault diagnostic / reporting process you have again been requested to complete identifies a fixable issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

craigfoxy1
Dabbler

I don't know what the problem is that's why i'm asking you?Huh
mikko
Grafter

PN won't know what the problem is unless you first go here
https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
Do what it asks you to do and wait for PN's reply.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5