cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lied to during sign up - Lousy slow broadband

cdnoon

Lied to during sign up - Lousy slow broadband

I have just migrated from Sky broadband where I was paying around £10 for unlimited access that was not throttled. My Sky broadband was a consistent 6mb download.
I like to re evaluate my broadband each year to ensure that I have the fastest possible. So I called Plusnet and was told by the sales advisor that with the Pro add on I would achieve 7mb no problem.
So I swapped to a service that was more expensive, now paying nearly £17 with Pro add on. Only to find that I now am lucky to get 4mb (sometime 3.5) with regular VPN disconnects (something I never had with Sky). When I checked the speed I was told that I was lucky to get over 2mb (they used a false number to evaluate this) and I should feel privileged to achieve 4mb. BTW I am 1.4miles from the exchange and my neighbours achieve between 6 - 8mb consistently.
Oh, my brother in law works for Openreach and has tested the line both from home and replaced the filters at the exchange end (yes they have these) and it is perfect.
Please, please Plusnet fix my speed. Alternatively please give me my Mac code and refund for sign up cost so I can go back to Sky. If you are unable to do any of these points please provide a transcript of all my calls so I can go to Ofcom.
18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Lied to during sign up - Lousy slow broadband

Just to cover some of the reason was to why the correct estimate for your line is 2mb, it seems that only 20cn (up to 8mb ADSL1) is available at your local exchange. This would mean that achieving speeds in the top rage (7/8mb) would be less likely.
According to your account (SN117810347) an estimate of 2mb was calculated for you when you signed up, however I understand that this could potentially differ from what an agent advised you over the phone.
We're doing what we can to track down a recording of the call you made to us so I will let you know how that goes.
they used a false number to evaluate this

I'm curious to know what you mean by that, do you mean a false or dummy telephone number was used?
I'm sorry that this is making you think about cancelling, if that is what you decide to to here's the necessary details for contacting the customer options team: http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/grass_is_greener.shtml
please provide a transcript of all my calls so I can go to Ofcom.

We just need to ask that you raise a ticket to us to request that.
Do let me know if there's anything else I might be able to assist you with.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cdnoon

None of these points really detract from the fact that the speed is 2mb slower than Sky.
See attachment for the details that were checked. You can see why these do not appear to be related to my exchange (Porth South Wales).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
they used a false number to evaluate this

I'm curious to know what you mean by that, do you mean a false or dummy telephone number was used?

Let me guess. The OP was on Sky LLU so the BT checker didn't recognise the number. The muppet agent therefore entered the std code followed by 000001 not checking that this came up with the correct exchange and therefore gave out duff information. He should have used the postcode as this would have at least flagged up that the exchange was 20CN only.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cdnoon

Yep looks like it, but not only did they do that they used the wrong STD.
But I think my exchange is 20CN only. Well according to Samknows its not 21 enabled.
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

BT LineCheck Results - Live
Telephone Number: **************
Exchange: PORTH
DSL Availability: Yes
Highest Available Speed: 2.0Mb
Max Enabled: Yes
Max line speed: 2.0Mb

2mb slower than Sky.

It's worth bearing in mind that you did have an LLU service with sky which is based on different connection technology at the exchange that could potentially provide speeds of up to 24mb.
I've just generated this a current estimate against you're line. As mentioned I'll get back to you when we've checked those call recordings, Porth definitely doesn't have 21CN though. It would seem at this stage that the quote of 7mb could be the spurious figure in question rather than 2mb which.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cdnoon

@ Adam,
I will say the service on the forum is a million times better than ask a question. Thanks for this
Sadly I guess this is only bacause its public.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We genuinely want to provide a consistent level of support via whatever channel this comes to us (calls, forums, twitter etc). If we are in the wrong here then we will openly admit to that and I'll make sure we would have learnt from any mistakes.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just reporting back to say that we're unable to obtain a recording of the call you made to us when you signed up I'm afraid. Please let me know where you want to take things from here.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cdnoon

Adam,
Mac code, refund for sign up cost and Pro add on please.
I do not want to run into the next billing month, so please can you advise me how I can avoid this without any downtime while I swap provider.
Thanks for your assistance.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

As I mentioned previously you'll need to speak to our customer options team for that, we will obviously allow you to obtain your MAC code and leave without penalty.
Sorry for the issues you've had with this.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Adam, Since you have already agreed to let him leave without penalty, would it really bring down PlusNet Towers to issue him a MAC without further annoyance of having to hurdle the Options call?
Crazy
cdnoon

Well I thought "please let me know where you want to take things from here" was an offer of further assistance.
This would have been helpful as I called customer services who again unsuccessfully tried again to find the call. However the operator called me back confirming MAC code request and refund.
In hindsight I think my subject "Lied to" may be a little harsh. It looks like it may have been down to an honest mistake by the operator.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

"please let me know where you want to take things from here" was an offer of further assistance.

I heard nothing further from you though, sorry all cancellations must be handled by the customer options team.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cdnoon

Quote from: cdnoon
Adam,
Mac code, refund for sign up cost and Pro add on please.
I do not want to run into the next billing month, so please can you advise me how I can avoid this without any downtime while I swap provider.
Thanks for your assistance.

I sent this the same day.