cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Plusnet becasue I can't get FTTP

kellyp

Leaving Plusnet becasue I can't get FTTP

Last week, FTTP came to my area.
FTTC is not an option and my broadband is down around 2MB.
Plusnet have a FTTP service, but will not accept anyone else onto it, and so I have to leave.
For the privilege of doing this I will have to pay them a cancellation fee or run out my contract despite the fact I have been with them for more than 10 years.
If this is how they treat a 'loyal' customer, goodness know what happens to someone who really upsets them
18 REPLIES 18
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Leaving Plusnet becasue I can't get FTTP

Who said they won't accept anyone on to it? Did you sign up here https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?wizard_id=20 ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Andy,
If Kelly is a business user, then I believe that PlusNet is not accepting any new users on to the "trial".
In areas where BTOR are only offering FTTP (no FTTC) there is at present no place for business users within the PlusNet offering.  It is not logical, but that seems to be the situation on a number of fronts at present.
I've a couple of business candidates for moving to PN away from BT Retail (who have repeatedly cock-up their FTTP order) but there's no available offer for them from PlusNet.
Seems barking mad to me!
@KellyP
Welcome to the forums.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kellyp

Hi,
My package is Business.
It seems my only sensible alternative is Zen.
BT Retail have a good offer, but I want a static IP and BT will charge £150.00 per month for FTTP with that option.
Funny, my only post to the Forum is to announce I am leaving. I womder if someone senior in PlusNet will read this?
THanks
KellyP
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi Kelly,
Unfortunately FTTP is only available as a trial product at present on our residential packages, our business packages are tried and tested that we can guarantee whereas with FTTP being a trial it would be unwise to offer at present to business users, I will get this passed back though as it does seem more and more business users are looking into FTTP but as far as things changing in regards to this I cannot see this being something that happens in the near future, I'd definitely keep an eye out as we'll definitely put out a big announcement when/if that time was to come Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Paul,
Whilst I understand the internal, challenges of managing FTTP provision, surely post implementation support is no different to FTTC?  If BTw are offering FTTP only, surely it is considered to be beyond pilot stage and suitable for dependable service?
Where FTTP is being offered, frequently BTw is not offering FTTC, which in effect means PlusNET is closing its door to any business user in that geography wishing to upgrade to fibre.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kellyp

@Darkfire thank you for replying.
I do not want FTTP as such, but if I want anything better than the current service, I have to use it.
There is no other option.
I have been with Plusnet for 10+ years and have never considered leaving.
I will be placing an order with Zen today unless something else comes up. If Zen are anywhere near as good as Plusnet, the chances are I won't come back to Plusnet.
Plusnets current stance is just mystifying..
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I'm pretty sure I've read on this forum of a small number of business users being allowed by PN to move on to FTTP ...  Huh
Edit: added hyperlink
sarczoid
Rising Star

You do realise that FTTP will never happen as long as BT have a stranglehold over the UKs broadband infrastructure.
Also, I doubt its a good idea to leave fibre tails in residential homes, as people will no doubt knock them, twist them and damage them.....
For me, VM have the best solution, FTTC and Coaxial to the home. its fast, reliable and hard to screw up

BT will NEVER let go of the copper network that our parents and grandparents paid for, that's privatisation for you
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry you are wrong on several points.  There are numerous areas where BT are offering fIbre services ONLY via FTTP and there being no FTTC as an alternative.
If you go find the detail of how fibre is delivered to premises you'll realise there are no bits of fibre for users to mess with.

sarczoid
Rising Star

Numerous areas..... where?  south east? thought so.....
BT are sitting on billions whilst the infrastructure is still mostly copper and (dare I say it) aluminium wires....
mav:quote
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: sarczoid

If that's a rant about the SE and London being favoured, then I think you're probably wrong.  Try South West ...
I live in the SW and I'm on FTTP.
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Also, I doubt its a good idea to leave fibre tails in residential homes, as people will no doubt knock them, twist them and damage them.....

I suppose I could always build a little wall round the fibre tail (the black cable with green sheath) if I thought it was in any danger  Tongue
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

BT are sitting on billions whilst the infrastructure is still mostly copper and (dare I say it) aluminium wires....

Actually in the case I'm thinking of it's rural North Cheshire where there is no ADSL2 and no FTTC.  So not the over indulged South East nor the Met areas which are already over provided for.
Now if BT could remove all of the copper from the network, they might make a killing on the scrap metal market!  Shocked

sarczoid
Rising Star

So essentially the only people who defend BT are the ones with FTTH at home, (sod you jack, i'm alright) Smiley
There is no question that BT have been underinvesting in their broadband infrastructure, and even when they do (21CN) they go to manufacturers like Huawei, for the lowest cost, no doubt the kit will not last and is unproven also....
I used to live in a cabled area and I have to be fair, Cable internet is far superior, I had VM Cable for about ten years and only had two 20 min outages In that period.