cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest "Which" isp survey.............Plusnet slips down the league table.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Latest "Which" isp survey.............Plusnet slips down the league table.

I used Which to check for white goods - went to the library - but my overall opinion was the same as when I junked my subscription many years ago
They try to give ratings / do checks on technical products such as cameras and fail miserably as their testing team are sadly lacking in the necessary detailed knowledge
Now that isn't unexpected as they can't know everything but they should really stay clear of such products
artmo
Aspiring Champion

But PN is still a respectable 3rd albeit that they have dropped a little in percentage terms.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
They try to give ratings / do checks on technical products such as cameras and fail miserably as their testing team are sadly lacking in the necessary detailed knowledge

I came to the same conclusion. OK for white goods but for anything remotely high tech they miss obvious points.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't trust Which? for anything - If they get reviews of things that I know something about so wrong, how can the reviews of something that I know little about be trusted?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Which?'s judgement is no longer dependable - it has not been so for a long time, as was demonstrated by their last revision of ISP performance when they specifically cited PlusNET over matters which they have no direct control.
They still seem to think that different ISPs using the same BT technology will deliver speed improvements: that amongst many other examples informs me they do not understand what they seek to advise on.  Must remember to cancel my subscription!  Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

But surely Which?'s judgments and recommendations are based on what their members are saying, so blaming Plusnet for things that aren't their fault is because the subscribers are saying that...........and we only need to look at some of the rants round here to know that there are plenty who blame Plusnet for everything  Shocked
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

But, nonetheless, should Which's owners the Consumer Association be aware of the relationships of IPs with BT, and the responsibilities of each? They are a large national entity, so at least their higher echelon and directors should know.
Then advise their staff.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Anotherone
But surely Which?'s judgments and recommendations are based on what their members are saying, so blaming Plusnet for things that aren't their fault is because the subscribers are saying that...........and we only need to look at some of the rants round here to know that there are plenty who blame Plusnet for everything  Shocked

But Which? don't make their recommendations purely on what their subscribers say. They conduct independent tests etc.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

while i agree that a lot of PN,s problems come Via BT .
As customers our contracts are with PN not BT so its up to PN to sort problems out, that they have with BT and not the customers .
Whilst i agree with forum members highlighting the fact that BT should take responsibility for their mistakes , We as customers should be Calling on PN to get their agreements with BT sorted , not to come on forums to say sorry on behalf of PN because BT are POOOOOH .
at least thats my ten pennath
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well excuse me, if you thought I came on here to "say sorry on behalf of PN" THINK AGAIN. I was just trying to put things into a little bit of perspective.
@lucerne & @artmo - what makes you think that the "higher echelon and directors" know any better than the average joe public, and they will hardly have enough staff to carry out any sort of "representative" Independent tests - that's exactly what the subscribers are doing!  If the Chief Executive of OFCOM doesn't understand things, what hope have Which got? The fact that OFCOM had another recruit at the beginner of the year from the Treasury doesn't bode well either.
Despite the fact that I'm a Which subscriber.I didn't bother to put in any form of comment even though I'm in no doubt that the standard of Plusnet's service has gone right down. The mantle has slipped and will continue to do so until Plusnet get their act together.
Just look at the bad weather today and what's forecast for Monday, no doubt many poor souls will have problems with their connections, water getting into joints etc. It'll all be Plusnet's fault in some eyes, the weather is even Plusnet's fault  Roll_eyes  Not answering calls in a reasonable time and not having a ticket system people can use IS Plusnet's fault Lips_are_sealed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

AO,
Need a like button here.
Reference your comment on Which? simply reflecting subscribers comments: they ought to more than a conduit for the ill informed.  They ought to also guide and inform and not proffer incorrect suggestions, creating false expectations.
We are never going to see wholesale change (deliberate pun) to the performance of BT whilst consumer groups such as Which? persist with getting people to complain to their retail suppliers - direct pressure is required elsewhere.  They claim to be a force for good and change for the consumer.  If they really want to make a difference they need to become fully informed, understand the space they seek to discourse on and take the battle to the real villains.  BT Openreach, Ofcom, the U.K. Government and the EU who Ofcom repeatedly claim they can do nothing without their permission.
Maybe out of the EU we will be able to run our telecoms industry to meet the needs of this country without interference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Sorry Anotherone  , this was not posted towards any particular member  Lips_are_sealed
was not meant to be taken personally , if you thought it was towards you i apologise .
it was just a general observation , It is so easy to make excuses and Blame BT , they have failings  BUT its up to PN !! to ensure it is fixed for Their customers not the customers to sort PN problems
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Whatever may have been the legal responsibilities and relationships between consumer and supplier in the past, I feel the advent of large companies, then groups, then international conglomerates has muddied more than just the water in the pond, more like the whole blooming ocean.
Now, the retailer, and even the ISP is just that, a customer but of a much more powerful and often octopus like organisation.
If the retailer has a closer tie i.e. is owned by its supplier, who in turn owns all the infrastructure, assets on which it relies for services to its customers, there is little hope.
That's why the likes of OFCOM exist. In theory OK, but from which circles do their chiefs  originate? We're all doomed
stuffed- I tell you!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.