Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of support from Plusnet

jackoab
Grafter

Re: Lack of support from Plusnet

Hi Matt,
            Thanks for your comment, I was annoyed by the attitude of the last BT engineer who called, absolutely no interest and spent no more than 20 mins on site and the comment from CS agent that nothing more could be done at the moment, but have just read the latest response to my ticket that it's being referred back to BT,Jack.
jackoab
Grafter

Third engineer has now finished the rewiring so now completely new wiring from the eaves to my flat, also fitted master socket. So again everything crossed !!
Would like to thank Plusnet staff for pushing BT to get this done, Jack.
jackoab
Grafter

After 30 hours of running Routerstats the SNR graph looks a lot smoother variance only from 9dB -9.2 dB whereas before would be anything between 8.5 - 10dB so the signs are good.
Can anyone suggest how long it needs to be stable brfore requesting BT reset to 6dB?, Jack.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Both 0.2dB and 1.5dB ranges are good enough to count as stable.
You might as well ask for a margin of 6dB immediately.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

No chance!
With the history of this fault I would strongly suggest giving it *at least a week* before forcing the SNR lower.
Please Smiley
jackoab
Grafter

Hi James,
                I had no intention of applying immediately and agree with you that a week would be OK.
The line has been up now , apart from a couple of times I've rebooted or BT engineers have disconneted, for about 8 days so if I give you a reminder next Monday would that be OK, Jack.
James
Grafter

Sounds good to me Jack.
We'll pick it up again then.
James
Grafter

That's absolutely fine by me.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Jack,
I'm glad that the re-wiring got completed and that things are looking much better (thanks to Matt & James for chasing that). I hope the stability continues. You could post a latest set of ADSL router stats so we can assess how well the line is currently performing.
You might also be interested in downloading DMT. See http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/voyager2100_DMT.htm
You could post a copy of the DMT page. (Probably not a could idea to run DMT & RouterStats at the same instant, at least not sustained.).
Once you have some confidence in stability, you could use DMT to force the Target SNRM to 6dB and see if things remain stable before requesting a formal change. DMT is much easier to use for this sort of thing and is also good for short term monitoring. RouterStats is excellent for longer term monitoring.
HTH,
Chris.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Chris,
               I'm not really au fait with the theory of ADSL (know a bit more after this problem), will down load DMT later and see if I can do anything with it!
The last engineer was a younger one with a different attitude to the previous one, he actually asked me what I wanted him to do!.
I feel now much more confident about the result as it's now a much more stable line and hasn't dropped at all since he left, it's also nice to be proven right!!
Here are my router Stats at the moment, I will post later with results from DMT,

Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 03:22:42:23 
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 2 

Statistics Downstream Upstream 
Line Rate 6496 Kbps 448 Kbps 
Noise Margin 9.3 dB 21.0 dB 
Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 19.5 dB 
Output Power 19.8 dBm 12.1 dBm 
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 204 15 
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 14 4 
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 4 
D (interleaver depth) 32 8 
Super Frames 20055635  20055633   
Super Frame Errors 243  0   
RS Words 1363783202  340945761   
RS Correctable Errors 114753  20   
RS Uncorrectable Errors 3371  0   
HEC Errors 225  0   
OCD Errors 2  0   
LCD Errors 0  0   
ES Errors 0  0   
Could you tell me if interleaving depth is changeable and recommend a level if it is? regards, Jack.

Anotherone
Champion

Interleaving is normally on or off (if set to auto it can be either dependant on conditions). I didn't think the depth was variable with ADSL, but that may have changed, I saw a post from James somewhere that said it was if on auto, perhaps if he sees this he can confirm/deny?
The stats are looking good! Let's hope it continues - glad you got a decent engineer.
James
Grafter

Only going on hearsay from about 2 years ago, I believed that auto amended the interleaving depending on the line conditions.  That may just mean it turns itself on and off though!
AFAIK there's no way to amend interleaving depth on IPStream, only on LLU.
jackoab
Grafter

Thanks James,
                            Saw that interleaving depth was mentioned so assumed it was settable, Jack.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Chris,
                Downloaded DMT and didn't really understand too much, tried to lower SNR but couldn't get it to show the slideable part, not worried as I know my line is stable at 6dB as before it ran for weeks without dropping, in fact the only reason it's now at 9dB is that BT in their wisdom raised it about 10 days ago when it had been stable for 12 hours at 6dB, I can wait a few more days now that it seems the fault has been rectified.
Thanks for all your help and support over the last few weeks, regards, Jack.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Jack,
Post a copy of the DMT window just to check it all looks OK and is running right.
Top LH of DMT window is a drop down menu marked 'Special'. Select 'Misc.Options'.
In the new window on the LHS, about half way down, check the box marked 'unlock experimental area (Panel/Last Tab)'. Also make sure the 'unlock[Reboot] Button/Procedure' is checked.
Back in the main window, goto the RH tab, the slider should now be "un-greyed". Move it from 100% to 50% (this is a 3db reduction).
Click the apply/resync button.
Note  - if you are using the SNR-monitor certain functions (including resync) are greyed out whilst it is running. Also, unless you run the SNR monitor, the SNR figure in the box will not update. Note the function can be memory/resource hungry. It is useful for short term monitoring, especially if you do not require heavy computer resources at the time.