cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kelly Comms and FTTC modem swap out.............................................

Cathotel
Grafter

Kelly Comms and FTTC modem swap out.............................................

Well, here I am 2 mins to 5pm and no Kelly Comms arrival/call/email at all for a 1pm to 5pm slot.
Tried ringing their number to confirm if/when and a human picks the phone up and slams it back on the hook.  Tried a 141 prefix and they don't even answer.
Always amazes me when companies have 'Communications' in their title - oh dear cynicism is creeping in and it's 5;01pm.
Not overly impressed......
Pete
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Kelly Comms and FTTC modem swap out.............................................

Thanks for your feedback on this, that doesn't sound great. I'm assuming that you'll try contacting them again tomorrow morning? Please keep us posted as to how you get on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Cathotel
Grafter

Re: Kelly Comms and FTTC modem swap out.............................................

Hi Adam,
I sent them an email below so hoping they will contact me but I will be on the phone tomorrow.
I wonder if the delay is due to the BT Speedtester failure which seems to be affecting FTTC customers on BT Infinity (and me), but you would have thought a call/text/email would be in order.
I'll post what happens Smiley
Pete
Hi,

Tried to ring but sounds like someone lifts the handset and then replaces it?

Attempting to confirm this is going to take place in the next 7 mins?

If it doesn't are you going to contact me or do I re-book or what?

Regards,

Pete
ffox
Pro

The web site FAQ doesn't say that the PSU should be changed as well.  Posts on thinkbroadband state that the black PSU, rated at 12v 0.7A should be replaced by the white PSU rated at 12v 1.0A.  Apparently some Kelly engineers are not doing this.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I wonder if the delay is due to the BT Speedtester failure which seems to be affecting FTTC customers on BT Infinity

I really can't see that as a reason for them not showing for an appointment.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Pete,
We're pushing the missed appointment back into our suppliers. Please let us know if you receive any contact from them too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Cathotel
Grafter

Ok, latest info....
I've just used my mobile to ring and a polite apologetic lady answered.  Maybe the phone hangups were stress related  Undecided
Seems they had a bit of an overbook situation today and she was very sorry .  She has me booked in for tomorrow afternoon and will actually call me when they are on the way and I've been marked as an 'Already Inconvenienced'
Still think a call was warranted though Sad
Noted ref the PSU - as I understand it,the 3B model has a white PSU but a 2B is still heat resistent and meets the spec?  My old PSU hardly gets warm, well not compared to the modem Smiley
We'll see what happens tomorrow..
ffox
Pro

Changing the PSU - see this post..
This is the important bit : ".....the higher amp rating is listed on the back of the modem, versions 1, 2 and 3 have 0.7A on the label but the v4 has 1A."
itsme
Grafter

The important bit is the rating of the PSU which did not seem to get mentioned on the thinkbroadband link.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for the update Cathotel, I'm glad someone got back to you. Keep us posted.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ffox
Pro

Quote from: itsme
....... the rating of the PSU did not seem to get mentioned on the thinkbroadband link.

Yes it did.  See here.
The rating of the white PSU matches the rating of the replacement modem.  The rating of the black PSU matches that of the old modem, which requires less power than the new one (according to the labels). 
The consensus of opinion is that when the modem is swapped out the PSU should be swapped out as well.    Any comments from the Plusnet reps?
Cathotel
Grafter

The Kelly Comms guy phoned me 30mins before arrival and got here within 5 mins so can't complain.
He swapped out the modem (a 3B) and I asked is this the one that needs the new white PSU? and he said he didn't know anything about that and indeed none of the boxes of replacement modems had PSU's or leads come to think about it.  I am assuming these are old stock that have beeen refurbished to the new spec, hence the lack of 'extras' in the box.
I can't see there being an after market for ethernet cables and a 12v PSU's Smiley
Waited 10 mins after the DSL sync (< 1m) for the Netgear to connect and as per usual it didn't, despite a lean on 'Connect'.  I then did a power cycle and it came back on connected within a very short space of time.
The Kelly guy said he'd noticed this effect on other PN customers??  Why is that, if both are powered down/up aok, PPPoE router powered down/up aok but if vDSL modem powered down it's hit and miss if it reconnects without power cycle.  not an issue, just curious?
The old 0.7A PSU running absolutely cool as before, but I will measure the power consumption and post later.  I'm not concerned as the published consumption is less than 6W so a max of 0.5A.
The fan is still poised and ready for switch on if the room gets above 23 deg Smiley
BTW despite the re-sync, the BT Speedtester still does not work on my FTTC connection Sad
Cheers,
Pete
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Cathotel
The Kelly guy said he'd noticed this effect on other PN customers??  Why is that, if both are powered down/up aok, PPPoE router powered down/up aok but if vDSL modem powered down it's hit and miss if it reconnects without power cycle.  not an issue, just curious?

From what I understand of it, it's because the router doesn't know what state the modem is in anymore and is sending the wrong sort of messages.    Dave T might get chance to pop in and explain it better Wink
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager