cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just had fibre installed

devr0s
Dabbler

Just had fibre installed

I understand most people are quick to complain about something but very rarely give feedback if something is good as it is expected..
I decided to upgrade from standard DSL to 40/20 fibre as the upload speed wasn't great on dsl and i fancied streaming and i have to upload a lot of pretty big stuff for a video project i'm working on, so took the plunge.  My main priority for a connection is usually stability then latency then speed.  As i was already on fastpath on my old adsl line and had an average ping of 20 which i was quite happy with, i was expecting a similar sort of ping with fibre.  (My adsl line also would spike very frequently and i had to gateway hop for ages to get a stable connection)
I was a bit apprehensive as i understand interleaving is controlled via the dslam and cant be configured so was half thinking i might not be on fast path as the adsl line stability wasn't great.

Engineer was booked for 1-6pm.  From previous experience, this usually means 6pm if your lucky and in general 6:30.
He turned up at 2pm and had everything done before 4.  Very speedy stuff.
The results were pretty bloody good too:
speed test taken just now:

Tracert to multiplay:
  1    1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
  2    5 ms    6 ms    5 ms  lo0.11.central11.ptn-bng01.plus.net [195.166.128.229]
  3    9 ms    5 ms    5 ms  irb.11.ptw-cr02.plus.net [84.93.249.18]
  4    5 ms    5 ms    6 ms  195.66.236.224
  5    5 ms    5 ms    5 ms  ha01.multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.26]
5ms with 5 hops?  That's outstanding i was expecting maybe 15ms.  I've only seen that low at lans and from hyperoptic (FTTB).. I also havent had to gateway hop in 2 days.  So fingers crossed this stability continues and with any luck i'll stay on fastpath

All in all, outstanding stuff so far!
Cheers plusnet & bt engineer Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Just had fibre installed

Glad you've had a good experience so far. If there aren't many already on your Fibre Cab, you may see a slight slowing due to extra cross-talk as numbers increase but it looks as though you may be quite close to the cab so you may see little effect. As you've been connected for a couple of days, the DSLAM has so far decided your line is suffering few or no problems at present. Good luck.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Just had fibre installed

Looking very nice! The ping is better than the one one my line and I only live around 20m away from the cabinet!