Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Upgraded to Fibre Woohoo

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just Upgraded to Fibre Woohoo

I've just got off the phone with sales agent R****** who did a sterling job of taking my order to upgrade my two ADSL lines to Fibre. To say I'm excited and eager for the change would be an understatement having waited so long on it's arrival at the exchange. So here's hoping it goes according to plan.

43 REPLIES 43
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Just Upgraded to Fibre Woohoo

Thanks for the feedback Mook.

I'm still eagerly waiting for my cab to get upgraded to FTTC.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome, credit where it's due, but I've not had the confirmation email(s) I was told would arrive just after the phone call! I hope this isn't a portent of doom.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Fingers crossed @Anonymous, hope it all goes well.  What kind of speedspeed has been estimated?

Are you having both lines upgraded?  Shocked

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to BT 75/80 with a guaranteed 68, but I am hoping to max the connection as I currently do on my ADSL, and yes, being greedy I am getting both lines done.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

You are so lucky. My village has just had fibre activated and is at accepting orders status. This must have taken quite a lot of taxpayers money to install. BT were the chosen contractors.

My estimated "Superfast Broadband" download speed is a blistering 7mb/s.Grin

2.5km from exchange and about 200m from cabinet.

I'm getting 5mb/s with ADSL, so what was the point? I can't foresee any isp making any money here. The only winners are BTOR.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@newagetraveller There has got to be something wrong with those estimates. 200m from the Cab, are you sure? Do you know the cable route to the Cab? At 200m you should get around 70Mbps unless you have a real bad line from the Cab Shocked

Did you use this DSL checker ?

Anotherone
Champion

@Anonymous best of luck with it Wink I dread to think what you'll be doing with it if you are going to max out two Fibre lines Funny

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone I, as you well know, Wink meant that I was meaning to get the best connection speed possible due to the distance between myself and the cabinet as I currently sync at 8128/832 on ADSL CN20.

As to what I intend to do with it that's easy, apart from the obvious, I'm going to create a SSL VPN between myself and my work's HQ as we are both running DrayTek kit so it is in theory easy using my Trusted Digital Certificate.

Speaking of distance from the cabinet, is there any way to find this out?

Anotherone
Champion

If it's overhead, fairly easy, otherwise a bit of guess work following manhole covers Huh

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see, I thought there might be something online that could tell me the distance as I am sure I have seen it on a bit of BTOR kit the engineer had. No big deal. I as say (maybe too often) Time will tell.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HarryB@bobpullen - Much to my surprise when I got my email this morning I had 4 from Plusnet, 2 telling me that my 'Plusnet Protect service' had been cancelled(!) and the other 2 telling me that my "Broadband product change is now complete". I can only take from that that my move to Fibre has completed, but having re-started my modems and router nothing has changed. By this I mean the Mode and the State in the modem, with both showing:

G.dmt Annex A SHOWTIME

I've never had fibre before but from what I have read previously on this forum all that's needed is a power cycle, so with this not working I am confused as to what to do, if anything. I do have static IP addresses but even configuring the WAN connections to DHCP makes no difference, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Also, I tried a speed check at BTW but was unable to get the 'further information'.

Anotherone
Champion

Ah, but does it all coincide with the install date you were given Wink

My suspicion is that it's just a touch early in the day for the OR engineer to have completed the change-over which might take about 40 minutes (depending on how far the cab is from the exchange) work to do at the exchange and Cab. You'll lose service (sync) for a period depending on which end is done first, but you may lose PPP for longer depending on when Plusnet turn off your existing service ID and when the new one is turned on (I think I've got that right - typed in a hurry).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anotherone - That had crossed my mind but with the emails timed at 02:34 and 02:35 made me think that this was done yesterday and just propagated through the system over night.

Odd, most odd.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Looks like another where the account change has gone through on the earliest order completion date despite the order being committed for 22/04/16 Embarrassed

Apologies if this got your hopes up, but the orders aren't due to complete until 22/04/16.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet