Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Got Up And Running After 4 Weeks

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Just Got Up And Running After 4 Weeks

It's all right for geeks like you and I to leap in with both feet - I did say to get optimum results Roll_eyes  that means setting sample timing, scaling and so and so on in addition to the various folders et al!
RouterStatsLite has a much simpler GUI, is less resource hungry, quicker and easier to set up just for SNRM monitoring.
I use both of them  Tongue
Glenn
Grafter

Thanks for your replies and help Anotherone, purleigh and townman...much appreciated.  Smiley
@ Anotherone...oh good to know the 582n does have a broadcom chip.I have found this router to be reliable...no dropped connections apart from on the Plusnet side for maintenance or from the exchange to set something.Plus the wireless seems pretty good for me...I have it in my bedroom at the back of my flat where the line comes in.
The signal goes through my bedroom wall through my hall and across to the far corner of my living room...it's maybe 30 ft or so.Although I had to find the sweet spot with my usb wireless n adapter to get a 5/5 signal pick up.An odd time the data transfer rate drops to 117Mb/s and 104Mb/s like now instead of 130Mb/s...but think that may be my adapter tbh.
I have noticed my SNRM dropping lower during the night.So a lower SNRM is bad then ?...I thought you wanted it to be low for higher sync speeds.At the moment at 6pm it's 5.8 up 5.7 down...so guess it's sticking around the 6db target.I have noticed at nights it can drop down to 3 odd down.My distribution point is about maybe 60 ft or so on the same side as me out the back of these tenement buildings.It's attached to the back of another tenement...there is a street light in a little alley way between the tenements...if you can picture that.That might explain some or all of the interference.
@ purleigh...thanks for suggesting RouterStats...thanks for the light version with the guide Anotherone.Not sure about using it just yet as things don't seem to be serious but good to have it linked in here in case I need it.
I'm usually not afraid of programmes or getting my hands dirty going under the bonnet of XP but I like the sound of a less  resource hungry version.I'm still on a learning curve in relation to ADSL and routers.
I only have 2GB of RAM so guard it jealously.I watch task manager like a hawk and use Process Explorer to make sure any new programmes or updates don't sneak one by me eating my precious RAM lol.
Cheesy Grin
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In which case definitely use the Lite version. I don't think it has any memory leakage issues at the moment.
Glenn
Grafter

Speaking of memory leakage...I love Firefox..the look of it..the customisation and the add-ons of course...but it is a memory hungry so and so.
After a heavy browsing session I have to restart the pc to free up memory it's mangled.  Grin
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

After a heavy browsing session I have to restart the pc to free up memory it's mangled

I'd kill any remaining firefox processes in task manager after closing it, that should stop you from having to reboot each time which I'd avoid if possible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Glenn
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Yeah Firefox doesn't always close properly and I sometimes have to end the process in task manager.Even when it's closed properly it still hogs some memory it was using due to memory leak (it doesn't recycle the unused memory back to the system)...I can lose anywhere between 100MB's - 200MB's of RAM after a heavy browsing session.
I only have 2GB of RAM so it's quite a lot to lose and have to restart my pc to free up the memory so it can be used again.I've never heard that restarting my pc is a bad thing tbh.
Smiley
Glenn
Grafter

Here's the comparison after I installed the high quality RJ11 cable.
The first stat pic was taken 9 days after buying and installing the XF-1e Professional Microfilter from Tandy which halved my errors and prevented any local loss of signal and local loss of framing.
The second  stat pic was taken 9 days after installing the high quality RJ11 cable from Tandy.It seems to have helped a bit but HEC errors down seem to be up a tad.Not sure if I should go back to using the Plusnet supplied RJ11 cable which is a foot shorter than the new one btw.
Smiley
Glenn
Grafter

Ok...I left everything as it was after installing my new high quality micro filter and high quality RJ11 cable.There was 24 days up time and I was hoping to see DLM resync me at a higher rate again after the above halfed my errors...before I installed the above I had a sync of like 9.7Mb.Then after I installed the above it synced at 9.5Mb.My Plusnet current line speed has dropped to a mere 7.5Mb!!!
I noticed yesterday my SNRM went down to 3db then last night I had an automatic resync and my speed dropped considerably to 8.5Mb!!!
Interleaving has been on for over three weeks...currently my SNRM is 6.9db.I would like to request that interleaving be turned off please.
Stat pics from the 10th and yesterday are attached....
Shocked
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, interleaving has been on throughout on the downstream from what I can see, and I'm not sure this will improve the sync rate - there may be a slight increase to the profile but I'm not sure whether it'll take you back to the 8.5Mb or so you were on before. Might be better to try resyncing around lunchtime until the sync rate comes back up and then we can do an SNR reset instead, otherwise if the sync doesn't improve I'm not sure what we could do really - make sure a filter somewhere hasn't gone wrong perhaps?
Glenn
Grafter

Yeah interleaving has been on for the last 24 day uptime....but I want it turned off.It was off before I installed the new filter and cable and I had a sync of 9.7Mb...and that was before the new filter halfed my errors.
There's nothing wrong the new filter, it has halfed my errors after all.
Would you go ahead and turn interleaving off please.
Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Order placed and due to complete tomorrow. Hope it has the effect you want.
Glenn
Grafter

Thanks Matt, appreciate it.  Smiley
Trying to get back to where I was...but with the new filter and cable this time...hopefully it works out.
Cheesy
Glenn
Grafter

That was quick....it just turned interleaving off.Sync has went up to 8.9Mb...hopefully I can get it up to 9.7Mb where it should be.
Smiley
Glenn
Grafter

Could someone give my Plusnet Current Line Speed a nudge up please...I resynced higher yesterday afternoon and it hasn't went up yet.
My new sync is 8.9Mb and my current line speed is still only 7.5Mb.
Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your current sync rate is 8932kbps, your speed profile is 88.2% of this. I've adjusted your profile to 7.8Mb/s accordingly.