cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Got Up And Running After 4 Weeks

Glenn
Grafter

Just Got Up And Running After 4 Weeks

My 21CN Unlimited was due to go live tomorrow (21/2/13) but the work on the exchange got done today and I'm up and running.It's been a long ol wait of 4 weeks from placing my order on the 20/01/13 and getting a new line installed to getting online...chuffed to bits to be officially Plussed...yay.  Cheesy
I had to use the manual setup wizard for my router to get it up and running...it didn't do it automatically for some reason...even after a reset.Anyway my 10 day training period starts tomorrow and just did a speed test...I'm a mile by road from the Rose Street Exchange in Edinburgh and the street cabinet is about 25 metres from my building.I'm a total noob to broadband and not sure what to make of the speed test...seems like 20CN speeds rather than 21CN but I could be wrong.  Undecided  Grin
I've been using a wireless 3 dongle to get online til now....which gave around 2,7Mb/s so this is obviously better right off the bat.  Cool
229 REPLIES 229
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Just Got Up And Running After 4 Weeks

welcome to the forums Glenn Smiley
glad you're up and running at last
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fastest download you can achieve on 20CN is 7.150Mbps !
So it looks like you are on 21CN.
Glenn
Grafter

Thank you dvorak  Smiley
That's good to know purleigh....hopefully my speeds will increase over the next week or so...I thought I should be getting twice what it is now.  Smiley
Razer
Grafter

I would expect more being so close to the exchange. I float around 17-19 DL, with a usual sync of 23,000 odd and recently had a short-lived peak of 20 DL. I am under one quarter of a mile from the exchange and expect better. My line is apparently 1.2km according to my attenuation, but I've had faster elsewhere on a longer line. Right now, since some testing by PN I am only synching at 21,000 odd and my DL is all over the place at the moment with seemingly every gateway really screwy. So anyway, your router stats will give a better idea of what you should be getting.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you find the 'downstream attenuation' in your gateway's ADSL status page ?
If so enter that attenuation into this - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
to get an estimate for what your line might be capable of.
Wink

Once your 10 day training period is complete, you should ask to have your upstream speed uncapped.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If that's the TG582n log in and this shows you where to find your stats. Under DSL Connection, click on View more & just do a copy and paste into a post.
If you run the BTw speedtest, ignore the red pre-amble except mke sure nothing else is using the Internet connection, then when the fiirst stage is complete, Click the Further Diagnostics at the bottom of the page, when complete copy and paste those to the post. The BT IP profile for the line will indicate the maximum download speed you can achieve at this time, but you need to check that your Current Line speed (Login required) is at least equal to the BT IP profile. Sometimes it can take a few days to catch up!
Glenn
Grafter

I should be doing much better then...thanks for the info Razer   Smiley
I can't get into my router for some reason purleigh....it just says waiting for and wont load...no idea why.   Sad
Glenn
Grafter

Thanks for the info on how to do it Anotherone...I wasn't sure...can't do it right now cos I can't get into the router...it is the TG582n.  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Are you logging into it with the information on the card that came with the modem/router under "Router Access" ?
Glenn
Grafter

Yeah...the http:// with the numbers and full stops...I got into it earlier ok but not now...it keeps trying but wont load  Sad
Razer
Grafter

Just a thought, make sure you haven't inadvertantly blocked cookies for the address. If you haven't, you might want to try to clear cookies and see if that helps.
Anotherone
Champion

Also check your Firewall isn't blocking 192.168.1.253 or 192.168.1.254
Edit: Also close the browser and clear the cache.
Glenn
Grafter

Checked cookies and there aren't any for it to clear....cleared cache and restarted browser and it's still the same.  Sad
I used a programme earlier called XP Smoker Pro to optimize my connection and it ticked the box that I use an PPPOE connection...but I already had used it prior to this and it was fine.  Undecided
Anotherone
Champion

On 21CN you should be using PPPoA.