Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JL unlimited broadband query

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

JL unlimited broadband query

I assume the JL unlimited and PN unlimited (adsl) are the same package ?
On the JL FAQ the table says all traffic is line speed 24/7
https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/faq/
The next table below "how does it work"
And then you get this this bit
Managed: Traffic which will usually run at line speed, but may be limited in the busiest periods
This is very badly worded in my view.
Is it meant to mean what is on the PN site: ?
What this means: at busy times, higher priority queues will take bandwidth from the lowest queue(s) currently in use (but never enough to take the lower queue below its minimum bandwidth allowance).
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
What is defined as busy periods ?
So in the FAQ we have gone from full line speed for everything, to then certain activities maybe managed when things get busy.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

8 REPLIES 8
RJM
Rising Star

Re: JL unlimited broadband query

If it is run by Plusnet this, is interesting in the JL terms:
"Same price wherever you live
Unlike some other broadband providers, our prices are the same for everyone regardless of where you live."
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: I
I assume the JL unlimited and PN unlimited (adsl) are the same package ?

Almost certainly NOT.  JL unlimited pre-dates the Plusnet unlimited offering and the JL terms and conditions may be quite different from those used by Plusnet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

I should have been a little more clear in my post,  I meant in terms of been unlimited, no traffic shaping but with traffic prioritisation
The JL faq is not clear about traffic shaping
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My answer remains the same.  Just because Plusnet don't do "traffic shaping" for themselves is no guarantee that they don''t do it for JL.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There are no rate limits on the John Lewis Unlimited product.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

ReedRichards i think you have missed my point, in the faq table for unlimited on JL it states all traffic as line speed 24/7, so no traffic shaping , bu then in the how it works table it says
"Managed: Traffic which will usually run at line speed, but may be limited in the busiest periods" that suggest traffic shaping to me .
The information contradicts each other
Chris can you clarify the above please
Regards
Mike

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's similar to Unlimited on Plusnet, assuming your doing nothing else on your line each item should run at linespeed. If you're saturating your line with a high priority activity (streaming for example) then anything lower will take the remainder of your bandwidth.
So you're on a 20Mb line. You're streaming at 4Mb, that leaves 16Mb for lower priority stuff.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the quick reply Chris
I thought that might be the case, do you not think that wording needs to be changed to be more clear.
Regards
Mike