Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It would of been nice of PN to make an announcement for planned maintainence

TORPC
Grafter

It would of been nice of PN to make an announcement for planned maintainence

For those of us that do not use other means like Twitter et al
It would of been nice if PlusNet could put a sticky in the announcement thread relating to the planned week long maintenance
After all that is what the announcement thread is for (is it not)
I had to find out the hard way after I suffered issue(s) then went to make a ticket then seen www.plus.net is down for maintenance, followed the twitter feed & seen this planned nightly maintenance that is most likely to affect customers NationWide

Not even any notification about the www.plus.net down for maintenance that I could see

[quote= http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1396875312.htm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter]Planned BT Network Maintenance - Week commencing 7th April 2014
Broadband
Posted on: Monday 7 April 2014, 13:55
When's this work happening?
Early hours of most days this week.
What does it affect?
Broadband connectivity.
How long will it take?
Up to six hours each time.
What does the work involve?
We've received notifications from our suppliers about maintenance work that is scheduled to take place in the following areas this week. This work typically takes place between Midnight and 6am.
8th April
London Colindale, Coalville and Newcastle upon Tyne
9th April
London Colindale, Langholm and Reading
10th April
London Hornchurch
11th April
London Hornchurch, London South Kensington, Acomb and Birmingham
Although these are the areas we have been notified of, due to the nature of the broadband network these outages may affect customers nationwide. There are also a number of smaller exchange works most nights of the week that may cause smaller outages at individual exchanges.
Am I likely to notice the work?
Yes, there's a chance that you may be disconnected from the internet for a period of time during the maintenance window.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Any customers having problems connecting once the maintenance is complete are advised to log into their router interface and click connect.
Kind Regards,
Chris Purvey
Customer Support
27 REPLIES 27
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: It would of been nice of PN to make an announcement for planned maintainence

A similar service status message about BT network maintenance gets posted pretty much every week, there's always overnight work being done somewhere.
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: It would of been nice of PN to make an announcement for planned maintainence

I signed up and get the service notice emails regularly.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

If you want to ensure that you're kept up to date on Planned Maintenance and any other Service Announcements, it might be worth signing up to these alerts vis E-mail at http://usertools.plus.net/status/email.php
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

or the rss feed
eblakeborough
Grafter

There wasn't an announcement because it wasn't planned... Any maintenance that we're aware of is posted on the service status page as others have posted.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is odd since I received a notification at 13.53 on Monday even though Chris got the date wrong in the body of the message
When is this work happening?
Overnight tonight into tomorrow morning, Tuesday 8th April.
What does it affect?
Access to our website and internal systems.
How long will it take?
About seven hours.
What does the work involve?
We're rolling a number of system updates.
Am I likely to notice the work?
You may do, yes. Our website will be unavailable between 11:00pm tonight through to 6:00am tomorrow morning (Tuesday 7th) and holding pages will be in place. Our customer support centre will have limited access to customers' account details during this time.
Is there anything else I need to know?
No.
Kind regards,
Chris Purvey
Customer Support
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It was planned.
There was an unscheduled on Sunday evening/Monday morning which I suspect Ed is getting confused with.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
TORPC
Grafter

May I ask WHY do WE have to SIGN UP for SOMETHING we DO NOT use them when we USE the FORUM that announcement(s) can be made in the respective thread ?Huh
It was announced via your twitter feed

at the time I originally made posted the above it showed approx 11hrs it had already been up on Twitter
Therefore that would make it now approximately 24hsr ago that the twitter feed was notified, yet not one notification in the forum that your staff frequents
By putting notifications on all public avenues would clearly reduce time for staff answering queries about the maintenance
What about the customer base that does not use any means of the forum / twitter et al that will be affected, a nice email would not go a miss either.
There should be no excuses for lack of communication in this day & age (Unless the new call centre has gone backwards in time to Ye Olde Penny stamp days)
There are clearly already moans & groans about the call / ticket wait times, lets try & reduce them as best as is possible 
To clarify
What I am saying is
If Twitter can be informed why can't the forums via their Announcement thread (That is what the Announcement thread is for  (correct me if I am wrong)
announcement
əˈnaʊnsm(ə)nt/
noun
noun: announcement; plural noun: announcements
    a formal public statement about a fact, occurrence, or intention.
    "the minister was about to make an announcement"
    synonyms: statement, report, declaration, proclamation, pronouncement;
    bulletin, communiqué, dispatch, message;
    information, word, news;
    advisory;
    ukase;
    pronunciamento;
    ipse dixit;
    rarerescript, asseveration
    "an announcement by the Minister is expected this afternoon"
        the action of making an announcement.
        "the announcement of the decision of the European Parliament"
        a notice appearing in a newspaper or public place and announcing something such as a birth, death, or marriage.
        "an announcement is appearing in the Morning Post tomorrow"
        synonyms: declaration, notification, report, reporting, publishing, broadcasting, proclamation, promulgation; More
        disclosure, revelation, intimation, divulging;
        archaicannunciation
        "the announcement of the decision"
        a piece of information given over a public address system.

Alternatively can Plusnet staff state what reason(s) their Announcement thread is actually for
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TORPC,
I understand where you're coming from, however, it's worth explaining that our Twitter feed was automatically updated via the RSS feed. If you sign up for this then you should also be notified automatically in the future in situations like these. The Twitter feed wasn't manually updated.
We did update our Service Status as we have always done in these circumstances. This can be found here:
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&?helpheader=servicestatus
The header is: Planned Website and Internal Systems Maintenance - Mon 7th Apr 11.00pm - Tue 8th Apr 6.00am
I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for the feedback.
abstruse21
Grafter

Personally I would not want an email or whatever every-time an announcement is made about planned works etc. I -and I suspect some others - would plod along happily until I notice an outage and then check the status page and/or forum announcements before stamping my feet and sobbing into my keyboard   Cheesy (this generally only happens when i'm playing online games to be fair!). I definitely would not rely on a twitter feed as I no longer and probably never will use the thing again (same with facebook - godawful intrusive piece of rubbish - PERSONAL OPINION ONLY don't take offence  :P). (while writing it was pointed out that the twitter is fed from the RSS feed.. Which I wont be signing up to either Wink I get enough messages in my life as it is.
Maybe if I had planned to do some work from home in the small hours - like when I am dealing with companies in America, Australia or China and time zones make it easier to be at home than in an office - I would certainly take note of any announcements at that point of planned works to ensure a stress-free evening/night but again that is something I would go check for myself rather than wait for someone to warn me.
Agreed, it would be nice if whoever updates the twitter / RSS feed with something important like planned outages also copied that same info to announcements on the forum too of course (as that is what an announcement is). Copy + paste takes but seconds after-all.
But that's just me.. and others like to be fed the information as it comes in and do have the ability to choose to opt in to those messages which is the point of being able to sign up to it as opposed to it being forced upon them..
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I'm not in favour of a personal email for planned outages either,  like others I get enough in my mailbox to deal with anyway  Roll_eyes  and I know where to look when circumstances demand that my Internet connectivity is critical.
Similarly I don't feel aggrieved that I am not kept fully aware of Rail; Airport; Road; TV ..............>  planned maintenance.
NOTE:  I believe it still to be true that the Service Status and the associated RSS feed are not Hosted on Plusnet main Server farm so that they will remain in service when such 'planned Maintenance'  occurs.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drunkenmonkey
Grafter

I agree with not having emails every time a service status was posted as well. I use the RSS feed but mostly get service status updates via twitter.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

would it not be a Idea to have a sticky Post on the forum , where the said Emails are placed for all to see  Wink
I dont do RSS feeds neither am i a tweeter  Roll_eyes and get enough emails as is without subscribing for more  .
But i do frequent these forums , where if posted i would be more inclined to read them .
my 10 pence worth  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Linn
Hi TORPC,
I understand where you're coming from, however, it's worth explaining that our Twitter feed was automatically updated via the RSS feed. If you sign up for this then you should also be notified automatically in the future in situations like these. The Twitter feed wasn't manually updated.
We did update our Service Status as we have always done in these circumstances. This can be found here:
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&?helpheader=servicestatus
The header is: Planned Website and Internal Systems Maintenance - Mon 7th Apr 11.00pm - Tue 8th Apr 6.00am
I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for the feedback.

Cheer Lin
Now can you please explain (as I have asked & been overlooked (ignored)) the answer
Quote from: TORPC
To clarify
What I am saying is
If Twitter can be informed why can't the forums via their Announcement thread (That is what the Announcement thread is for  (correct me if I am wrong)
announcement
əˈnaʊnsm(ə)nt/
noun
noun: announcement; plural noun: announcements
   a formal public statement about a fact, occurrence, or intention.
  <snip>
       a piece of information given over a public address system.

Alternatively can Plusnet staff state what reason(s) their Announcement thread is actually for

If you are not going to use you're own Announcement thread for the purpose it was intended for then remove it into the Archive section
As other have said
We DO NOT want to use Twitter/ RSS/ Facebook et al
Also I agree that a copy / Paste takes mere second(s) as opposed to minutes / hours wasted via the dognbone / Ticket(s) et al