cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not you, it's me. Well it's my expectations of you

kw1
Dabbler

It's not you, it's me. Well it's my expectations of you

I'd like to say that in general over the last 4 years PN has been great - reasonable speed and great and helpful customer service. Even to the point where I had an Openreach engineer turn up unexpectidly to fix an issue!

But your attitide to short disconnects has forced us to move to Voda Pro with their 4G backup.

Last year I was having the disconnects in the middle of the day you were great - sent engineers who found / fixed issues and I thought all was well, but when they've been happening in the last few months you're attitude has been "it has to happen 5 times a day to be taken seriously". 

I appreciate that our expectations of reliable internet have increased significantly in the last 2 years, but now we are working from home a single disconnect during the day is unacceptable and needs to be taken seriously.

So here we are. We're off somewhere more expensive, but hopefully that expense will be rewarded with a reliable service.

Your staff were great in the past, but judging from other comments I've seen I'm guessing things are going downhill for you. I urge you (PN) to do something to win me back - and it's not just offering me a cheap deal, it's also about how you respond to our complaints and don't treat us like idiots. 

7 REPLIES 7
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: It's not you, it's me. Well it's my expectations of you

Any interruption is infuriating, even more so if your livelihood depends upon reliable internet. However, I'm confused that you say Plusnet "sent engineers who found / fixed issues and I thought all was well". This implies that these faults are an Openreach issue.

You do realise that Plusnet has no control over your line upstream from the router? If your disconnections are caused by a faulty line then no ISP will be able to help beyond referring the problem to Openreach and the snags will continue until the line is repaired/replaced. But at least you now have 4G backup. I hope your difficulties can be ironed out.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @kw1

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you're leaving us, though I do understand that customers are now more reliant than ever on a continuous broadband services, and to be honest, I am myself. I moved back into the office because of technical issues after working from home!

Anyway, I'll pop a visual radius below which does show a very stable connection, so I'm under the impression that the source of your problems are beyond the router. Can I ask what troubleshooting steps have already been taken to try and resolve this? I can see that you're only connecting to wired devices so I wondered whether you've tried the connection on other devices or have swapped the Ethernet cables etc? 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@adam945, there's no image posted!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Apologies @kw1 and @pjmarsh not sure what's happened there. Here's the visual radius showing a stable connection as of late. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hmmm … this possibly points to a wifi problem … unless you’ve seen the lights on the router changing colour at the same time as your perceived disconnects.

How do you perceive the disconnections?

Periodically I see the browser window suggest I’m not connected to the internet when I know for sure I am. A refresh of the “failed” navigation instantly delivered the requested page,

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kw1
Dabbler

Thanks @adam945  for posting that - your right that in the last month it's been stable, but previous to this there was a few weeks with regular disconnections, and when it happens in the middle of a video call this is not acceptable - for most WFH it's been fine, but the issues a couple of months ago caused significant problems for my wife. 

@Longliner - yes I'm very aware how ADSL etc. work (thanks to the day job) and I'm fully aware that line faults are outside PNs control. I was very impressed in the past with how issues were dealt with, but sadly the attitude from PN for my last set of issues was "it's not happening often enough" and that can't fly. (Reading between the lines it could be interpreted that PN agents have been told to scale back how quickly they engage with Openreach unless the system detects a line fault... that's just one guess.)

If PN offered a seamless backup then I'd stay - but that comes at a cost and Voda are in a better position to offer that service over a homebrew solution.

@Townman it's not the wifi (which is off on the box anyway) - it was the line disconnecting for a few minutes, once/twice a day for several days - but unless it was happening 3 or more times a day for several days in a row then PN weren't interested. 

Perhaps in a couple of years I'll be back; if you're a prospective customer reading this then PN have been very good - especially through this forum.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Were the disconnection periods associated with really wet weather?