Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It goodbye to plusnet after 23 year just under

deanmrd
Grafter

Re: It goodbye to plusnet after 23 year just under

Maybe it was meant to be 

In 14 month if plusnet do the same kinda deal as my current provider then up and down I would be more than happy to switch back. And also the price may go down. Smiley

I filled out the form to update them. 

thanks 

Dean

webby41

I had my broadband supplied by Plus.net for over ten years and even recommended them to others. However, when I wanted to get fibre to my premises they could not supply the service. Now they say that if I leave them I will get sued for breach of contract and they want a severance payment of £285.51
I just feel sad that Plus.net who shout a lot about their treatment of customers and whom I supported for over ten years with a sub-standard service could only keep repeating "You signed a contract" when they could not supply the service that I required.
I feel sad that Plus.net showed no empathy or goodwill whatsoever to an 80 year old pensioner only an hard-nosed 'this is business' approach without sympathy or compassion.
Shame on you Plus.net.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@webby41 Why do they say you can't get FTTP. What does BT Broadband say your available services are?

John
webby41

OpenReach are not installing FTTP until after 2024 (so I'm told by Plusnet)

City Fibre have already laid the cables and offering 900 Mbs.

My Plus.net cabinet is about 200 yds away but the copper FTTC was routed at nearly a kilometre giving me the long line problem that I put up with for 10 yrs.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Ah, so you are wanting to leave Plusnet part way through a contract, therefore breaking it. They are legally entitled to charge you to do so.

The cable routing decision is BT/OR's - absolutely nothing to do with PN.

John
deanmrd
Grafter

ok got reply from OR see below

Thanks for your recent enquiry via the Openreach website about getting faster broadband.   

I’ve looked into your enquiry and the great news is that we will have some fantastic connectivity options for your home. I can see the equipment you’re connected to is getting an upgrade. This will give you the option of ordering fibre to the premises.

Our engineering work is d

ue to start the beginning of April/2024. and will take several months to complete. I’m sorry we can’t give you a more specific date at this time but once the work is completed you’ll be able to place an order with your chosen service provider. 

I have also checked and there is no nearby any fibre equipment in capacity to serve your property.

We’d love to keep you up to date with our progress. To receive any future updates please go to our fibre checker, input your postcode, choose your address from the drop-down, then scroll past the availability information and complete the Gigabit Fibre form and we’ll update you once plans change. www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband.

Openreach doesn’t provide phone, broadband or TV services directly to anyone so to get these services you’ll need to contact a service provider to find out about the packages they can offer you and the speeds that you’re likely to get.

You can find a list of providers here:

FTTP https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-buy-...

I’m sorry that we can’t offer you an immediate solution. But once the works complete you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of fibre broadband.

If you need to contact us further please use the following link, as the email account I’m writing to you from doesn’t accept replies. https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form

Kind regards,

Himanshi Dwivedi
Fibre enquiries

Infrastructure solutions customer service
Openreach

Web: openreach.co.uk

We build and maintain the digital network that enables more than 600 providers to deliver broadband to homes, hospitals, schools and businesses large and small. Our engineers work in every community, every day, because we believe everyone deserves decent and reliable broadband.  

This email contains Openreach information, which may be privileged or confidential. It's meant only for the individual(s) or entity named above. If you're not the intended recipient, note that disclosing, copying, distributing or using this information is prohibited. If you've received this email in error, please let me know immediately on the email address above. We monitor our email system and may record your emails. 

Openreach Limited 
Registered Office: Kelvin House, 123 Judd Street, London WC1H 9NP 
Registered in England and Wales no. 10690039 

none of that make any sense as I already have full fibre install ? I put in detail on the form I already had full fibre?

If this was a generic responce which I dont think it was and I get anymore from them I will let you know. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Not sure if I’m missing something here, but you likely currently have full fibre because your new provider doesn’t use Openreach‘s network. They’d be using different infrastructure, possibly their own. 

Based on the response above, it doesn’t look like Openreach have yet built their full fibre infrastructure, but should hopefully be done next year. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf 

@deanmrd wrote:
With Plusnet tried neighbours on both side of me, I live in a row of houses, and share same gateway with one neighbour not a flat though. I even tried neighbours across the road and they all could get full fibre with Plusnet.

ok got reply from OR see below

I’ve looked into your enquiry and the great news is that we will have some fantastic connectivity options for your home. I can see the equipment you’re connected to is getting an upgrade. This will give you the option of ordering fibre to the premises.

I have also checked and there is no nearby any fibre equipment in capacity to serve your property.

I’m sorry that we can’t offer you an immediate solution. But once the works complete you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of fibre broadband.

None of that make any sense as I already have full fibre install ? I put in detail on the form I already had full fibre?

If this was a generic response which I don't think it was and I get anymore from them I will let you know. 

This is how I read the above...

1. BTOR FTTP is installed in the area
  2. BTOR claim that there is no spare capacity at this one property in the midst of other properties where there is capacity
  3. BTOR plan to add more capacity at sometime in the future (generic statement)
  4. This user has gone with an alt-net provider and hence has "full fibre" but not FTTP as we know it

A communication clearly written by BT's Comms team - says nothing useful and is probably wholly inaccurate.  If Dean's assertion is valid, it does not seem likely that one property within the same post code is not able to get the same FTTP service as the near neighbours ... unless there is a database error.  If nearby properties can order FTTP it somewhat refutes "no nearby any fibre equipment in capacity".

BTOR ineptitude loses Plusnet yet another customer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Ah whoops sorry I’ll show myself out. I missed the part where we could provide FTTP to their neighbours, but not their property. Something does seem odd indeed.

@deanmrd - it may be worth filling the form out again pointing out if haven’t already that your neighbours can get FTTP through Openreach but not your property. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
webby41

I understand that, but after 10 years of substandard service I expected as an 80 year old a small bit of empathy, 

deanmrd
Grafter

@webby41 wrote:
I had my broadband supplied by Plus.net for over ten years and even recommended them to others. However, when I wanted to get fibre to my premises they could not supply the service. Now they say that if I leave them I will get sued for breach of contract and they want a severance payment of £285.51
I just feel sad that Plus.net who shout a lot about their treatment of customers and whom I supported for over ten years with a sub-standard service could only keep repeating "You signed a contract" when they could not supply the service that I required.
I feel sad that Plus.net showed no empathy or goodwill whatsoever to an 80 year old pensioner only an hard-nosed 'this is business' approach without sympathy or compassion.
Shame on you Plus.net.

yeah I did as well it was about £27 that I had to pay because I did renew my contract with them for 18 months previously for a better price.

I would not of left if OR would of had the correct info.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@webby41 wrote:

I understand that, but after 10 years of substandard service I expected as an 80 year old a small bit of empathy, 

This topic is discussing @deanmrd's specific location and issue.

Their experience and your experience are not connected, are not similar.  Their location DOES have FTTP but for some reason BTOR say not at their individual property.  Your situation is entirely different - there is NO FTTP AT ALL for anyone and that is a BT Openreach issue, not a Plusnet issue.  Would it help you to have your posts moved to their own topic, so that consideration of and responses to your concerns might be more focussed?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@deanmrd  At the present time Openreach FTTP is an asymmetrical service with much lower upload speeds, so you are unlikely to want to move back to Plusnet, unless Openreach change their FTTP system/policy in the future, but when that might be is unknown.

The general feeling is that they don't want to lose business customers who pay huge amounts for dedicated leased high speed fibre connections.

digisam

Sadly it is a generic response, I got exactly the same email (albeit with a different name) but had the same start date of April 2024. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@digisam 

Is FTTP available to your neighbours but not (just) you or is it not available at all in your location?