cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a sign of things to come?

medlocktj
Dabbler

Is this a sign of things to come?

Hi all. I'm posting on here for the first time and really wish it could have been under better circumstances.
I originally rang PlusNet on January 19th, which was 18 days ago. I explained to the customer service representative that I had no phone line and no socket in the property. I agreed to pay £49.99 for a line to be installed and was told that BT would contact me within 3 days to arrange a suitable date and time. The payment was taken and all was fine.
By January 29th I still had not received a call so contacted PlusNet. It was in the evening and the person I spoke to explained that he would have to e mail a different department but, as it would now be closed, I wouldn't receive a reply until Monday (the 1st of February).
I received a text message on Monday saying that my phone service would be ready by the 2nd of February so I contacted PlusNet to ask how this could be when I still didn't have a phone line installed. I was put on hold then told that PlusNet didn't realise I didn't have a phone line so would contact BT.
On the 2nd I came home from work to find a note from a BT engineer saying that he had called but was unable to gain access to the property. What happened to them contacting me to arrange a time and date?
I understood that this was not PlusNet's fault but, as they were my only point of contact, I called  them again the next day (the 3rd).
I was passed from one person to another who told me that they would have to contact BT to ask why they didn't contact me before calling.They also assured me that BT would contact me. Unfortunately, they weren't able to confirm whether I would be billed as my phone service had apparently been activated by PlusNet.
It's now Saturday the 6th which means that nothing will be sorted until Monday, which will be the 8th. That's 20 days after I originally contacted PlusNet and paid for this line.
I understand that this isn't just PlusNet's fault but I am extremely frustrated by this and am worried that, even if this is resolved, is it a sign of things to come?
Should I just cut my losses, write off the fifty quid as an expensive lesson and go with someone else?
I don't even know who to contact to resolve this. When I ring PlusNet, all they can do is pass my message ontto BT and who knows whether they'll take on board what's being said.
To be honest, I don't even know why I'm posting here. Perhaps just to vent my frustration, as I really do think that this is absolutely ridiculous.
I know some PlusNet staff frequent these boards so maybe they can help? I've already told some of my friends who were considering joing PlusNet of my experience so far, so surely it's not doing you any good to allow such things to continue?
All I want is a date when I will be getting my line and one on which I can expect to access broadband.
37 REPLIES 37
Not applicable

Re: Is this a sign of things to come?

Welcome to the forum and as you say, it is a shame that your first post is not a more positive one.
I am sorry that I am not able to help you with your problem which must be very frustrating but I can say that
you are correct, Plusnet staff do frequent these forums and I am hopeful that one of them might be along at some point,
even though it is the weekend.
Hope that it gets sorted soon.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It sounds as though someone at PN needs to take ownership of this problem.
Hopefully it can be sorted early next week.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
medlocktj
Dabbler

Thanks guys.
It's frustrating because, when I speak to a customer representative, I know it's not their fault, or possibly not even PlusNet's fault, but they're the only people I can speak to and I don't want to have a go at them.
But, at the same time, I just want it sorted.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Not applicable

Just as a matter of interest, are you being put through to the Durban CS?
Just in case, here is the number for Sheffield:
0114 2965197
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think you will find that a many people have various problems with Plusnet's phone offering.
I use their broadband and it's quite decent - but I would never dream of moving my phone to them!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Especially when you get this...... !  Roll_eyes

Service: Other
Posted: Sat, Feb 06 2010 at 15:02:05
Subject: Phone System Failure - RESOLVED
All calls are now being routed correctly and there is no static played. Hold music will be return early next week when further maintenance is carried out.

Plusnet Customer Support

(my text colouring)
Does that mean anyone phoning up whilst the maintenance is carried out, has to listen to "hold music" ? ? ?  until the maintenance is finished?  Lips_are_sealed
medlocktj
Dabbler

I've only recently moved to the property and there is no phone line so, after hearing good things about PlusNet and seeing that they charge less than half the price that BT do for installing a line, I decided to go through them. I don't really need the phone line for anything other than broadband.
I think it's the South African centre that I'm being directed to. The people I speak to don't have Anglicised names, don't sound English and the line quality isn't great.
Is the SA office not as reliable or not carry as much weight when dealing with BT as the Sheffield one or something?
medlocktj
Dabbler

Quote from: poppy
Just as a matter of interest, are you being put through to the Durban CS?
Just in case, here is the number for Sheffield:
0114 2965197

Thanks Poppy. I'll try that number when I next contact them. All my correspondence has been by mobile so far so I've had  to pay for the 0845 number anyway.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: medlocktj
Is the SA office not as reliable or not carry as much weight when dealing with BT as the Sheffield one or something?

They haven't (in general) much clue.
They are still still learning what is possible and what isn't.
The 2 hour time difference can't help. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

The history of Plusnet is that it was founded (as Force 9) in Sheffield (well, Worksop if I am not very much mistaken) and it has always had the call centre in Sheffield.
There was no out-sourcing until BT bought Plusnet and later Madasafish and a couple of other ISPs (the names escape me for now) which had a call centre in Durban.
A lot of work was done to integrate these companies and that is why what was a 100% UK call centre company became a composite of UK (Sheffield) and South Africa (Durban).
There was a huge thread in this forum, the majority opinion was most definitely not in favour of this. Many of us had stuck with Plusnet through thick and thin largely because of the Sheffield call centre.
I have only once been put through to Durban as I didn't have the Sheffield number to hand. The call lasted a couple of minutes and was not successful so hung up.
Am not saying that one is better than the other but I would prefer to telephone Sheffield call centre. If you stay with Plusnet keep the Sheffield number handy as it isn't widely advertised.
mal0z
Grafter

The Sheffield numbers are listed here:
http://usergroup.plus.net/support.php
but to save you looking it up
Plusnet Support       0114 2965198    
Plusnet Business      0114 2965182    
Plusnet Faults        0114 2965188  
In theory the line quality to Durban should be as good as anywhere, as all the circuits are digital these days. Sometimes i even find international calls are clearer.

W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

@Mal it's not the lines , but the numnuts on the end of them that is the problem  Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Or lack of  them......................... Undecided  Too many chiefs, and not enough indians..... Lips_are_sealed
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Indians???  I thought they were South Africans Wink