cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Service Status phone number broken/turned off?

Scribe
Grafter

Is the Service Status phone number broken/turned off?

I had occasion to call the Service Status phone number (0800 917 6714) a couple of days ago when my broadband (unusually) went down, and instead of the Service Status, I got this very odd message, 'Your broadband provider has tried to contact you today, sorry we missed you, please give us a call at your earliest convenience.' Fortunately I got it working again by rebooting the router, but since without any internet, that number is the only way to find out if there is a problem at PN, I very much hope that it isn't something else that has been turned off. BTW, the same message is still there today and that number definitely used to work.

13 REPLIES 13
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Is the Service Status phone number broken/turned off?

Hi @Scribe

That contact number seems to be one that was in use around 2013/2014.

Just to confirm, the number for our support servers is 0800 432 0200 and this number has replaced all other numbers on our contact pages.

Thanks

Dave

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@JonoH

Can this be added to the update list please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Scribe
Grafter

Ah OK thanks for getting back. It's as I feared, there is now no dedicated Service Status phone number. It was working maybe a year ago when I last needed it.

Despite a £3 price rise in the last 18 months on my contract, things seem to be getting worse not better, but just to be clear, at least I have no complaints with the broadband connection or speed.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Where is the number published?

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@JonoH   Extensive googling would seem to indicate that it isn't published anywhere.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@198kHz  that's what I thought. I never even knew that number existed. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Scribe
Grafter

I can only say that it was on your site somewhere in the last nine or so years that I've been with you, and it was working until some time in the last year I would say. I wrote it on the Plusnet notes that I keep, and entered it into my phone's phonebook for easy access if needed.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

There are quite a few entries if you look - including this one on the community website.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

The service status number seems to have fallen out of use and is no longer showing on our support pages at some point over the last few years I'd imagine. Apart from people quoting this number on a forum, I too can't find any official documentation with this on. If I remember correctly, this number may have been at the bottom of status.plus.net which was replaced with https://plusnet.servicestatus.net/plusnet/status within the past two years.

@Scribe assuming you've got access to mobile data, if you experience any further drops in your connection or have any issues at all, feel free to create a post and we'll be happy to take a look at things for you as soon as we can. If you don't have access to another internet supply, sorry for the hassle this causes as you'd likely need to phone us on 0800 432 0200. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH wrote:

@198kHz  that's what I thought. I never even knew that number existed. 

Hi @JonoH 

A coursory Google query of the number finds it referenced in a number of other places, including page 9 of the Hub Zero user manual.  (See https://setuprouter.com/router/plusnet/plusnet-hub-one/manual-2097.pdf).  I agree that on inspection no reference to a current Plusnet web page can be found, however I did find a reference (index) to a MAAF page ... which auto redirects to the current PN service stauts page.  The internet, especially Google, has a long memory of things past!

Possibly the better request I should have made was can the message on this line be changed to something more apporpriate ... or the number taken out of service please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I found a later version of the user guide from Goole images here - http://www.plus.net/support/pdf/welcome/Plusnet-Handbook.pdf ... however I confesss that I have not yet successfully naviagted to this object!

EDIT: Perserverance pays dividends!!

Navigation route is as follows ...

User Portal -> Broadband -> Account Information -> Order Tracker -> Sign up -> Welcome pack!!!

...M'lud, the prosecution rests its case...

Scribe
Grafter

@Townman; thanks for your persistence and for finding the number in that Handbook  - under 'Where to find help.' I don't know what vintage that router is but it's definitely more recent than my Thomson TG585!

Since the number is quoted in at least that document, I agree that the misleading message should be removed or changed to something sensible, assuming that the line can't be reinstated - which would of course be the best option.🙂

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've got a printout of a page from 2007 (Thomson TG585 setup) where it says that Status of Plusnet Servers can be obtained via Telephone on one of two numbers:-

0114 296 5178

or

0845 002 0173

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."