cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it so hard to get a phone line that works

StolenLife

Is it so hard to get a phone line that works

The answers is YES. My father is 82 and I very stupidly got him signed up with Plusnet. I have been trying to resolve an issue with noise on the line for months and have so far failed. I have been reduced to tear and can not begin to describe the frustration and anger that I have experienced. How is someone of his age able to contend with this when I can't do it. I suggest that Plusnet should set up a dedicated team that could manage cases involving vunerable people. This would mean that they would not have to deal with different staff every time they phone and having to try and repeat everything again and again only to be told the wrong and conflicting information.
8 REPLIES 8
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Is it so hard to get a phone line that works

Hi StolenLife,
I am really sorry to hear that you have had problem getting your Home Phone Fault resolved. I will take a look into this fault for you first thing in the morning for you so that we can get this properly resolved for you. I will get in touch with you around lunch time tomorrow (Saturday) so we have a clear understanding as to exactly where we are at with regards to the fault and you can address and further issues you may have too.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for your time on the phone today. An engineer will be visiting your Local Exchange to try and locate and resolve the problem for you. I will personally keep an eye on this for you and once this issue has been resolved, I will again contact you back so that we can have a chat regarding any other issues you would like for me to log for you. Thank you for your ongoing patience whilst we deal with this issue for you.
StolenLife

Hi , I have decided to log on here what happens from now on in a bid to not have to contiually repeat myself. I have already staarted to record all the events so I might as welel do it here. At this atage I will stick to the problem at hand.
This morning the noise on the line was so bad, I xould not even hold my internet connection.
I Phone PN 7.50am Spoke to Chris, He did agree that the noise was very bad and it made it difficult to have a conversation. Said he would hand it back to faults team. I was going to phone PN back once the fault team were at work (9.00am) about 9.30am this was so that I could insist that I spoke to the fault team themselves.
However when I did get to log on I saw that I had a reply on the forum from Chris Perrit (sorry if I have not spelt his name correct) So I thought I would wait to see if he had any in put. As you see he did phone and I am hopeful that he has identified that the fault is at the exchange. To be dealt with within the next 48Hours.
He was also willing to discuss the other issue that I have, but I could not maintain that length of conversation with the noise on the line so we agreed that he would phone me once we have the fault resolved.
At last hopeful
StolenLife

Hello Chris Pettitt and readers
13.00 Saturday engineer arrives on the doorstep. "Come to fix the phone" I must admit I gave him abit of a hard time, what exactly was he going to do? Chris had suggested it was the exchange at fault. Anyway as sick as I was of repaeating everything I did. The whole 8 months since  Dad moving. Ending in what he was going to do that the two engineers yesterday didn't do. Kieran (engineer) said that there was no way it was at the exchange it was outside. He set to work, very methodical. He was convinced there was a deterorated line. The only solution was to find a "spare Pair" he hunted he found. Only that had noise to. He repeated this exercise untill he had no more.  Then on to the next hole in the road, again hunting for the elusive "spare Pair" the magical quite ones. three hours latter a very cold young man has succeeded. The line is now quite and has been for the last  three hours. Even if this is not the end of this, as we had false hope yesterday with a clear line only to be increably noisy by night time. Even so Kieren ( I know he is not PN, but BT) should be commended for his enthusiasuim and persistence. Only a young lad and I hope that PN relay my praise.
To move on what was the thing about the exchange, Chris! I do feel that this was a quiteing tactic used on me. Of course I may be wrong as so far only a few hours of noise free line. The most important thing is that my 82 year old father at last as a phone that works. Why so important! He has a alarm on the line and the phone is the contact for his children. So if all is well on that front prehaps you could phone me Chris, so that we can discuss some of the problems I encountered on the way with PN staff.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StolenLife,
I am really happy to hear that the engineer has turned up and it looks like the fault has very likely been fully resolved. This is definitely a step in the right direction that we were both looking for. As for the actual fault, I can only go by what our automated tests results show me, I was being completely honest, however, engineers are a lot more knowledgeable than I am as to where the fault was exactly - the most important thing in this instance is that the noise on the line has gone. It wasn't my intention to make you feel that I was trying to quieten you, I am sorry if I made it feel that way.
I certainly will give you a call tomorrow morning at around 10:30am, we can then discuss any other outstanding issues you have with the processes and members of Plusnet Staff you would to give any feedback on.

Chris Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StolenLife,
I would, again, like to thank you for your time on the phone this morning. I think we have got a very good understanding of the issues in which you have had and they will be addressed as discussed internally. Also on another note, the Phone Fault will remain open on your account for a further 14 days, just in case any other issues do arise (I hope they don't of course!). I am very happy and glad that we have managed to resolve the actual Fault now.
I am looking forward to the remainder of your time with Plusnet to be a very good one, if you need anything at all or have a general query, please do feel free to pop a post on the forum and a member of staff will be more than happy to help you Smiley
StolenLife

No News is good news, and thats why I have not posted.  Chris Pettit was very supportive and help resolve the issues. I would like to publicly thank him.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll certainly make sure he's aware of that, thank you Smiley