cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of new line or lack of! Home move

David999

Installation of new line or lack of! Home move

We moved house on the 18th December and advised plusnet several days prior to this that we wanted to transfer our services. We still have no broadband.
Our 'update' has been put on hold TEN times now and the only think we now know is BT need to connect a new line.
It is a new build estate with only four houses on and the exchange is right outside of our house.
I have spent two hours today trying to obtain some update or remedy to the situation to no avail....... My partner has an internet based business that he runs from home and has been unable to work since we moved.
I am at a loss as to what to do next....? And wonder if anyone else has experienced the same difficulties and can give any indication of timescale etc
Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Installation of new line or lack of! Home move

Have you phoned and spoken to anyone? A lack of resposne from PN indicates that they know as much as you do : ie nothing!
You say you need a new line .  Typically this would be something that you should have been informed about when  ou bought the house. Installation to new builds are in the hands of BT / OR and has been reported to take many months . They never rush to do things and won't be installing a line to your house alone, they will have "a plan" to install to all  the new homes , Good luck! I would not hold your breath and I would think about a temporary solution using mobile broadband if a service is vital  to your business.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
markskidmore

I also used Plusnet for a House Move and as of the 17th December they disconnected my broadband service without phoning me first and checking to see if i had even moved into my new home, also a new build and to this day I'm still waiting to be connected, spoken many times to the Home Move team, Customer Services team and the billing team cause they have taken 2 months of payments even though i have no internet and all of which seem to have absolutely no idea whats going on even though they all say were updating the notes on the files, its a shocking company and the ONLY reason I'm sticking with this mob is because i stupidly paid the line saver fee last september so have 7-8 months left on that, otherwise id of cancelled everything with them.. I've had to use the 4g network in the home off my phone to connect computers to remain online. Still looking for the "We'll Do You Proud" bit..
David999

Thank you everyone for your help - going to attempt to make contact with PN again today - and have filled in the form via open reach - so will advise if we get any further! (although unlikely !) Angry
markskidmore

Hope you get a positive result..
x47c
Grafter

As always with these cases of new homes, who knows who is the blame.
It might well be that when building the new homes the developer decides that doing what is required in the developer guide issued by BTOR is beneath them.
So if they did not put in the required ducting, manholes etc when they were building the estate or that there are even just bits not done then the result is a mess.
The developer is long gone and is not interested.
BTOR is equally not interested in picking up the tab for doing the work properly (and indeed the time/staff involved in sorting it out).
so as others have said the result is months of delay while everyone sorts out who pays to fix it.
So to just assume that is it always the ISP's fault may be a long way from the truth.
There was recently a government initiative to make all new houses broadband ready on day 1.
Predictably the developers had an outcry about their extra costs
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/12/home-builders-worried-high-speed-ready-broadband-requir...
Says it all really.....
David999

Just an update to say unsurprisingly the whole debacle is still on-going and we are now over 2 months on and still no broadband.
The developers claim that there were initial issues, as unlike in the majority of cases, they did not install the ducting BT did so they then say it is BTs responsibility. Yet BT said it wasn't so on it goes.....
We have now been put on hold 14 times by plusnet and I ring on a daily basis and still get transferred here there and everywhere, however for anyone else going through the same thing it does seem to move slightly quicker if you can spare the time to actually ring through rather than wait the 24 hours to receive an online update.
I am still none the wiser as to what the whole process entails and get so much jargon auto recited by the CSC Analyst / Provision Team. Apparently we are now at a stage where we are awaiting an activation date from the supplier 'BTOR'  which is 29th Feb (although I shan't hold by breath!) as we had an email from BTOR over a week ago stating all work was complete. Shocked Huh Roll_eyes
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi David,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Unfortunately for you, BTOR's right hand has not idea what its left had does.  What its mouth then says to its customers (the ISPs) could be completely meaningless - from bitter experience, it usually is!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

It is a symptom of BT under investing in OpenReach telecom infrastructure. The consequence is the consumers have suffered a degraded service.
The lawyers, estate agents and Building surveyors should also be confirming connectivity to Internet utility service as part of the contractual process for new rentals and home buyer purchases.
Hopefully the Ofcom report due next Thursday will deliver a swift KITB to BT and cause them to improve their act.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: AlaricAdair
The lawyers, estate agents and Building surveyors should also be confirming connectivity to Internet utility service as part of the contractual process for new rentals and home buyer purchases.

The problem with that idea is that telephone lines are not a fixed continious service, as are electricity, water and gas (if present).  If there are wire shortages, BTOR (particularly their sub contractors) will rob disconnected service e-sides to 'repair' a faulty line.  In some places there are not sufficient e-sides to service the population / demand, especially with the increase if multiple lines to a single property.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

A good point Townman. I've had to deal with that type of problem (pair stealing) in the past.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
David999

I am still none the wiser as to what the whole process entails and get so much jargon auto recited by the CSC Analyst / Provision Team. Apparently we are now at a stage where we are awaiting an activation date from the supplier 'BTOR'  which is 29th Feb (although I shan't hold by breath!) as we had an email from BTOR over a week ago stating all work was complete. Shocked Huh Roll_eyes

Been updated online to say 4th March now...... Good job I wasn't holding my breath!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Unfortunately delays can be common where new builds are concerned.
I apologise if any of our updates haven't been clear and I'm already preparing some feedback to pass on about that.
I can see an appointment has now been set for the line installation so I hope no further setbacks ocurr.
Please feel free to reply or PM me if you have any further concerns or questions.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: David999
... Apparently we are now at a stage where we are awaiting an activation date from the supplier 'BTOR'  which is 29th Feb (although I shan't hold by breath!) ...

Bet they didn't say which 29th Feb though!  You'd better hope it's this one as the next one will be 4 years away.  Smiley